rulppa's 1992 YJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > rulppa's 1992 YJ build

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-26-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

rulppa's 1992 YJ build

...work in progress, I have been making this from time to time for few years by now, recently havent done anything - not even started it up for almost year ... but few weeks ago something happened!
Got little excided about it! Summer is coming and snow is melting so i want to go topless and get it done! Actually i have been building second garage where i can keep it topless during winter time too

Lets start then! No one want to read my nonsense-english, so i'll try to keep it short and put lots of pics. First picture is how jeep looked when I bought it 3 years ago, it was little pimped already, but there was parts that i really hated and it was kinda moving piece of **** (nothing worked how it should)

After few trail days, I wanted bigger tires and more lift. Anyway before anything else I had to fix lot of things, 4wd wasnt working, exhaust manifold was rusted out, catalytic converter broken, oxygen sensor was missing, starter was broken and lots of other things.. after few months it was fixed and I was able to pass inspection again! Ok, time to do something else... well, few years timetravel to next picture from last week before I destroyed it again ->

So, it was time to wash it up again and get topless! Looks pretty decent in picture, but there was rust and more rust, I have been welding "few" holes and going to order new windshield frame, cj7 tailgate, hood rack for lights/hilift etc.. I feel like christmas again, same feeling that i had 3 years ago :-) Ugly Germany blinkers (at front fenders) will be gone also, going to use originals like it should be is first place.

Here are pictures of current state..

Little more welding, grinding, praying and changing few parts (takes time because i'm from Finland (not that we Finns are that slow) and it takes time to order things from USA, lot's of places wont do international orders and some places trying to rob me with international wreight charges!

Cant member even half of the new parts it has gotten while living with me but it now haves 35-13.5x15 maxxis mudzilla tires, SYE, CV shaft, 1.25" motor lift, 1.25" body lift, RE 4.5" ED, traction bar, new fender flares, new seats/belts, half doors, duster top, soundbar, hi-lift, bimini and lots of "bling" and other things i cant member anymore. After its having new paint job (hopefully in month or two) i'm going for Ford 8.8 rear hunting, even thought i have drived it like maniac (offroad) and D35 still works strong!! One broken CV driveshaft so far, so i guess i have had luck or previous owner in Germany has installed superkit for D35 or something..oh, D30 has been broken once but it's fixed again.

What to you guys think? about paintjob? Should i go with original black color or something else? I have been wondering about pearl white, dunno.. gimme some tips and motivation to finish my project

Oh, before someone says it's not 1992, yes it is. I didn't like familybar and rear seats, so got rid of them both and installed sport bars (old family style can be seen in first pic).

ONE MORE THING! I know my front shackles are wrong, had something to do with beer, will fix them too

-rulppa

rulppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Chatham036
1997 ZJ 

chrome dont get you home.

looks good though buddy!
1997 zj / K&N Cold Air Intake / 2"1/2 bb lift / AirAid Throttle body Spacer / 31x10.5x15 / Edge Throttle Body / Adj. Front/Rear T bars / Edge Chip / Gibson Header / HiFlow Cat / Custom bent exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo Muffler / Optima Yellow Top

[QUOTE=ef1992;7345160]The wheels REALLY can give you more hp???
[/QUOTE]
Chatham036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Cyberknox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think it looks good! Be glad you chose to just let it sit and then came back to it. Out of all my vehicles I have ever owned, my first YJ was the the only one I wish I would have never gotten rid of. I think the warm weather coming always does it. Chrome it up if that is what you like. It is your Jeep!
Cyberknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Deleted.
Unread 03-27-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was removing hitch-assembly yesterday to get "bling bumbers" closer to the body, i was getting stuck because hitch assembly sticked too far out - it was kinda bended too. Now getting ready for CJ7 tailgate, will make order today with some other stuff.

No pictures of rust before! When starting this project didn't take much pics, tough that most of the bigger holes were done, but found little surprise under TOTALLY GOOD PAINT! there wasn't any signs at all on the surface.. well, it's not that bad but was really hidden good. Well, I'm not going to fix it because its not only problem with fender - will order new fenders.

I have been thinking (if i have some money left when finished) to buy winch and I would love OBA too - few days ago found this:http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=1041&plID=10130&partID=42406
Please give me some comments would that be good for me?
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if anyone is even reading my build but i'll keep posting pics and progress..

Installed RE 4.5" ED kit year ago and was too lazy to change rear shackles+ bushings. Old shackles were longer too so figured they were better because I would get even more lift.. have been wondering my non-existent rear flex - and Jeep rear-end feeled to act strange, making knocking noise. Old shackle (which sheared rear frame) and new ones, which I installed without center bolts to get more flex and avoid frame contact.

Also took 8 shim plate out and replaced with 4, didnt have time to check pinion angle yet but atleast it was wrong before, i think it's better now. There is also one pic with new shackle other corner and other corner with old one, see difference between springs? I think now they work like they are supposed.

Unread 03-30-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ordered these just few minutes ago to replace 30usd skyjacker crap shocks, dunno are they good but with that price i'm waiting them to impress me!

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16301_108.htm

Also new halfdoor panels coming..

-rulppa
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
tranzamwayno
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hey there

looks like your having lots of fun, looked good in the beginning and sure it will be amazing when your done.

as far as the r/e springs, i had those 4 1/2 extreme duty on my jeep(see pic) and they were awesome. make sure your spring bolts/shackle bolts are torqued to about 35-45 lbs, not to tight to limit movement, and grease them up if they are not. also check brake lines and shock travel so they aren't hitting

also they need to be flexed and used offroad to break them in and soften them up when new. make sure your axle ubolts are real tight.

if its between white and black i'd go white. but my fav is mango orange

tranzamwayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Please tell me your just holding up the gas tank in that last photo????? I had to make a quick trip to the hospital after using 'questionable' support methods. Just saying.
Good looking Jeep.
Happy Wheelin'

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the tub looks great, what exactly did you do to it?
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
as far as the r/e springs, i had those 4 1/2 extreme duty on my jeep(see pic) and they were awesome. make sure your spring bolts/shackle bolts are torqued to about 35-45 lbs, not to tight to limit movement, and grease them up if they are not. also check brake lines and shock travel so they aren't hitting
Thanks for info about lbs torque on spring/shackle bolts, I have been running this lift for ~2years and havent been happy with it, feels like "rock" when driving on normal roads.. might be this also? with wrong shackles.. let's see, i will check torques.

But it's shocks what i'm worried, people say what I ordered now is "overkill" dunno, bad or good.. how is your steering? Mine is horrible, I think im going to add shim's to front axle also to adjust caster, maybe this helps?

Quote:
Please tell me your just holding up the gas tank in that last photo????? I had to make a quick trip to the hospital after using 'questionable' support methods. Just saying.
Good looking Jeep.
Gas tank holds jeep there! Had stoppers on front wheels of course, and when I'm under car its double secured with jack of course, but had to remove jack under rear axle to take this pic -> only way to show difference between leafsprings with different shackles! And my girlfriend is a nurse!!
I'll try to be careful!

Quote:
the tub looks great, what exactly did you do to it?
Removed all rust/paint, welded small holes and one bigger one, cleared with alcohol based stuff, painted with Zincpaint (2x) and then used 3-4 layers of rock protection paint, it's little like bedliner, contains rubber also but doesnt look that ghetto. Zinc is higher minted element than iron so it's very good for corrosion/rust protection. If you know boat motors, there is Zinc near propeller and it does same thing there in salt water, this works exactly same way.

If someone does this, remember that there is not many paints that will be good with Zinc.

-rulppa
Unread 03-31-2009, 03:07 AM   #12
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Deleted.
Unread 04-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #13
S_Dubbs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also new halfdoor panels coming..
Which panels did you get?
S_Dubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #14
Piet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good. I think the stainless looks fine. It is not overdone. (and better than rusty hinges!)
I love your interior floor! Looks very clean. Way to go.
- Peter ----------- Canadian Jeep Club Member #1969
2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon "Ubercon" - 3.8L V6, 6 Spd Manual, RockTrac with Dana 44's on 32's. Mostly stock for now...
SOLD - 1988 Jeep Wrangler "Golden Eagle" - 350 TBI, NV4500, Dana 300, Detroit Locked Dana 44, Spooled 9", SOA, 37" MTR's
SOLD - 1994 Jeep Wrangler "Oliver" - 4 Cylinder Stocker on 31" Kuhmo MTs
Piet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2009, 12:18 AM   #15
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wondering how many of you have removed front panhard bar? Allready have front swaybar discos, but maybe I should remove panhard too to get more flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Dubbs View Post
Which panels did you get?
These ones http://www.quadratec.com/products/55012_500.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet View Post
Looks good. I think the stainless looks fine. It is not overdone. (and better than rusty hinges!)
I love your interior floor! Looks very clean. Way to go.
Thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.