Rubiconrazorbac build thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rubiconrazorbac build thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #61
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So the weekend project was to FINALLY get the Savvy gas tank skid installed. Got 'er done this afternoon. Easy install. Took about 4 hours of actual working time by myself. A couple of notes on the install:

1. Again, easy to do without help. However, I ran the Jeep pretty dry. After the install I went to fuel up and put 18.15 gallons of gas in the tank.

2. I ended up disconnecting the fuel & vapor lines and electrical harness AWAY from the tank. You can see this in the pics. It was simple. There are 3 lines and the harness on the driver's side. They're all within a couple of inches of each other. I just put some blue masking tape on them to label what went where. On the passenger side, just disconnected the flow management valve in one piece plus the vapor line next to it. That's it.

3. The tank fit in the GTS with no problem whatsoever.

4. The actual installation was easy, just took some time to line everything up and raised the assembly slowly to make sure everything cleared. I have a 1.25" body lift so I got the maximum benefit from the skid.

Here's some pics:

Tank in OEM Skid

Tank in Savvy Skid

Skid installed in Jeep!

My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #62
oj707
2005 TJ Wrangler 

not sure if im repeating a question but when are you gonna do some suspension work. you have no flex right now with those 315's tucked in there. nice rig tho. personally i'd say **** the suspension and get the AEV highline fenders. You'll stay at the same ride hieght but have crazy room for flex.
oj707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #63
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oj707 View Post
not sure if im repeating a question but when are you gonna do some suspension work. you have no flex right now with those 315's tucked in there. nice rig tho. personally i'd say **** the suspension and get the AEV highline fenders. You'll stay at the same ride hieght but have crazy room for flex.
I hear ya on that! I have an RC 2.5" lift w/ 1.25" BL installed. I only got about 1.5" of lift with the RC. The old tires were wearing down and needed replacement, plus I won't be hitting the trails again until Spring or so, so I went ahead with the 315s.

I decided to armor the thing up & do the new lift over the next couple of months.

I have Metalcloak fenders sitting in the garage as we speak and a full set of Currie arms + CV driveshaft kit that should be here Wednesday. In a couple of weeks I'll be getting some springs, shocks, & Currie rear trackbar to round off the lift. But again, since I'm not leaving the pavement until Spring, I've got a little time
Unread 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #64
oj707
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Excelent decision on the Metalcloaks, those are so nice. i'd love to have a set. And as for the currie arms, i have those, and those are amazing as well. So much more flex with those jonny joints. And with the adjustable ones, your not stuck with one size lift. so great Cannot wait to see this finished
oj707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #65
JeepGrl77

Looks great honey, sorry I'm not more help but the rig is lookin' FINE, if I do say so myself. I am, however, convinced that you married me for my Jeep.

Just like I'm convinced I married you to lift it.
JeepGrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #66
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
The only reason I was asking is you'll be rubbing your driveshaft on your crossmember with that setup lift even with mild/street use. Check your driveshaft for a worn ring where it may be hitting. You can just go without the skid until you upgrade to your new stuff if there is contact.
I modded mine by chopping off the driverside arm and fabbing up a new arm out of a Summit driveshaft safety yoke I had laying around. The crossmember now goes up and over the front driveshaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
When you droop it will definately start rubbing with longer shocks.

The Jeep looks great!

Gerald
Thanks for the heads-up on this guys. I got underneath the Jeep and see exactly what you're talking about. That crossmember doesn't look like it does much. I'm getting rid of it ASAP. Hopefully it'll soon have a Savvy skid iin there...

On another note, getting closer to getting the new suspension components. I've purchased a full set of Currie arms, 4" Currie springs, and a Currie CV driveshaft. Still need to get the rest of the suspension, shocks, ROP, & armor.

Last edited by RubiconRazorbac; 10-31-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Unread 10-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #67
Mttrek360
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm dying to see those Metalcloaks installed. Its going to look sick! I love the color. Great build!
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #68
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mttrek360 View Post
I'm dying to see those Metalcloaks installed. Its going to look sick! I love the color. Great build!
Thanks! I can't wait to see it either. Problem is I'll be out of the country for another week. I think I'm going to take a couple extra days off Thanksgiving weekend to catch-up. The goal will be to get the fenders and the rockers on at that time
Unread 11-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #69
Mttrek360
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Get home safe.
Unread 11-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #70
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got the rear bumper/tire carrier installed this past Monday. Here's how it turned out:

The LoD is great. Solid quality constructions, nice welds, tight fit, & nice powdercoating. All it needed was 4 holes drilled in the cross-member. LoD provides backing plates welded to the nuts on each side which helps with the install--I didn't have to drop the gas tank!

The only criticism I have is the lack of a grease zerk. There is a threaded hole in the hinge to put a zerk, but none came with the bumper. If it was in the packaging it was so obscure I couldn't find it after combing through the materials for 10 minutes. I know they're cheap and I'll just go grab one, but they really should include one with the product...

Looking at the pics from the before & after, I gained about an inch of clearance over the OEM bumper. However, I was sick as hell that day from a long trip and forgot to measure

With the 315mm wide tire and Moab backspacing, I used the longest setting on the adjustable tire mount. With this setup, the tire fits VERY snug. You have to close the carrier with a little gusto, but that's NICE! No shaking, no rattles, very good fit.

All in all, I'd recommend the LoD bumper 100%.
Unread 11-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #71
Anschutz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking Nice keep it up
Anschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #72
Mttrek360
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The fenders next maybe? Happy Veterans Day!
Unread 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #73
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anschutz View Post
Looking Nice keep it up
Thanks! I need to wash it though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mttrek360 View Post
The fenders next maybe? Happy Veterans Day!
Thank you. Kinda bittersweet since this'll be my last Veteran's Day on active duty

The fenders are next. Waiting for the brackets for the signal LEDs to come in. Once those are on, I'll trim the Savvy rockers to fit, & get them on too. I was planning on painting them--even got the primer on, but got a lead from CHI JPR on a powdercoating shop and I'm going that route on the rockers instead
Unread 11-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #74
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OK, Jeep week has officially started here! Don't know how much I'll get done, but have plenty of time to mess around.

Started last night replacing the instrument cluster, HVAC, soundbar, and rocker switches with LED bulbs. Turned out great! Only hiccup was that for some reason the high-beam indicator keeps flashing on/off. The high-beams work fine, it's just the indicator light. So, I took the bulb out for now.

While I had the dash apart, I took the cover off the steering column and put in the new LED flasher relay in preparation for later this week.

Washed the Jeep and will wax it today. Time to get it protected from the Illinois road salt that will be on the roads soon.

Also in store today is an oil/filter change and new air filter. Might flush the coolant too, but I'm putting off going to the stealership to get the HOAT.

Once the maintenance is done, the front fenders will come off! I'll be putting on the Metalcloak arched fenders with 6" flares. I also will install their new LED turn signals/markers with the new brackets as I have the "old style" fenders (no round cut-out below the "M").

Probably try to get the rear flares trimmed a bit in between the "bigger" projects.

Then, trimming the Savvy rocker guards to fit. The Savvy's are a perfect wheel well-to-wheel well fit, but with the new fenders, I need to trim a bit. Luckily it looks like I only have to trim the aluminum rocker guards and not the stainless steel sliders. Then I'll get these to the powdercoating shop so I can get them installed soon too.

I might be able to work on the Savvy corners (painting them) while the rockers are being powdercoated. Hopefull I'll have time. Once I get that done I can get them installed as well as the Savvy LED tail lights.

I bought a headlight wiring harness and ordered some IPF housings and Fatboy II bulbs. Those will be in around Wednesday.

I'm fabbing up an LED rear 3rd brake light sometime this week. Just need to get to the store to get the light and a piece of steel to bolt to the high-lift mount on the tire carrier.

I need to install the new rear rotors and EBC greenstuff pads.

I have some frame tie-ins for the rear crossmember from Groundpounder Fab that I need to install as well.

Spare tire cover coming this week also. My wife wanted to pick one out. She wants one and since the Jeep was originally hers, she makes 1/2 the money, and I've picked out the other mods, I have no problem giving up this one concession

I have some lower rear shock mount extenders I'll put on as well. Plenty of clearance now, but will be lifting more soon.

I almost have everything I need to put the new suspension on. The only holdup is shocks. I'll be ordering them in a couple of weeks, so maybe I'll be able to lift it a bit higher around Christmas/New Years.

That ought to do it for a now. I'll post pics of the new interior LEDs after it's dark. If anyone has an idea on the high-beam indicator, let me know!
Unread 11-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #75
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Halfway through the install and thought I'd show some clearance pics. It was hard to hold the tape and camera at the same time so in the pic of the new fender I was a little off-center. You can still tell the difference.

The install is going very well. I ended up taking much more time than I thought mainly because as I tore the Jeep apart, I found myself cleaning and painting nuts, bolts, battery tray, etc. for the install. I'm glad I took the extra time to do this now. As I noted in my previous post, I've had some other small projects to take care of too

The driver's side should be much quicker since I know what's involved now. Wiring the new lights was a lot easier than I thought. They look great too!

It looks like the I won't have to trim as much from the Savvy rockers as I thought. I'm just going to make a replica out of the rockers with some cardboard, then trim appropriately.

I'll post more pics when I'm done. Happy Thanksgiving!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.