Rubiconrazorbac build thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rubiconrazorbac build thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 09-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #31
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Figured I'd start working this thing out. The new plan is on the 2nd post on this thread. Basically I'm going to go with Currie SA or Clayton LA for the lift. Again, I just want something a little more heavy duty than what I've got now. Call it buyer's remorse, being fickle, or just plain Jeep-crazy. So unless Uncle Sam runs out of money on October 1st, I'll order everything at that time.

Let me know if you notice any glaring holes in the plan. I know this'll do for at least a year or my wife will move me to the garage permanently!

My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/

Last edited by RubiconRazorbac; 09-27-2009 at 03:41 PM..
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #32
ian0341fo
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Officers... sheesh... Just kidding! Looks really good. Have you thought about the OME 2.5" springs? I don't think I've ever heard a problem with them not getting enough lift.
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #33
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian0341fo View Post
Officers... sheesh... Just kidding! Looks really good. Have you thought about the OME 2.5" springs? I don't think I've ever heard a problem with them not getting enough lift.
Oh believe me, I know what you mean I was an Army grunt 20 years ago before I went Navy with the commission.

I definitely looked at the OME. The problem I'm running into(and it's just the direction I'm headed) is that with the combination of the HD steering, HD adjustable trackbar, and aftermarket diff cover there's VERY little clearance for all that stuff to fit with a lift under 3.5". Mudb8 has done tons of research on this.

Plus I'm going to end up with alot of weight on this thing. I know lighter is better, but at some point this thing is going to have full armor underneath, some ROP, winch, etc.

I think the OME is still something worth looking at when the time comes, but I'm really leaning toward the 4".

Keep your head down out there

Last edited by RubiconRazorbac; 10-16-2009 at 11:02 PM..
Unread 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #34
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Little bit of an update. Haven't been able to do squat due to the work schedule! I always thought I'd have more time off as I got older...

However, a little hiccup: After several years, the wife and I have decided to say goodbye to the Navy. It's just time to go. So, we're looking at giving up TWO O-4 salaries to open our own private practice. Fun stuff, but we'll just have to tighten the purse strings a bit.

Still planning the same build, it'll just take a few months longer. I'll be ordering the tires and brakes this Thursday. I've decided on Mickey Thompson MTZs. The best price I've found shipped is from JCWhitney and 4wheelonline. Going to get the brakes from the parts bin.

Once those are on I'll see what I can check off the list next!
Unread 09-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #35
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Glynn,

Good luck! We'll be watching!

Gerald

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #36
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
Glynn,

Good luck! We'll be watching!

Gerald
I'll be e-mailing you soon--just don't know if I'm going to order the Savvy and Currie stuff together or two separate orders...

Good thing is we're planning our "out-West wheelin' trip" for sometime this Spring. I'll need to have this thing ready by then!
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #37
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
I'll be e-mailing you soon--just don't know if I'm going to order the Savvy and Currie stuff together or two separate orders...

Good thing is we're planning our "out-West wheelin' trip" for sometime this Spring. I'll need to have this thing ready by then!
No problem either way. Where out west do you plan on wheelin?

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #38
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
No problem either way. Where out west do you plan on wheelin?
Not sure yet. Of course Moab and Rubicon are on the top of the list. We're just really looking forward to spending a week driving cross-country to wheel a bit without the kids!

After spending 6 of the last 8 years overseas, we're just excited to be able to plan this out. Of course keeping the Rubi in storage for 3 of those years kept the mileage down
Unread 10-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #39
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got some things ordered today. Updated the list on post #2.

Ordered:
Savvy Offroad corners & rockers (ordered from Gerald at Savvy)
LoD Rear bumper w/carrier (direct from lodoffroad.com)
TIRES! Mickey Thompson MTZs (JC Whitney. Found a 20% off Coupon!!!)
Brakes: Centric Premium Rotors & EBC Yellows & Greens (Multiple vendors)

The only hiccup was getting the right combination for the brakes. I ended up ordering from 3 different vendors. Thepartsbin.com had the front rotors and Yellows, but no rear Centric rotors nor rear Greens. Ordered the rear Centric rotors from Tirerack.com. Then, got the rear Greens from Autoanything.com.

My wife is literally going to crap when this stuff shows up over the next week. However with this and the things I've already bought but are sitting in the garage, she gets some extra time to hang out with our daughters and I get some "man-time" with our 2.5 year old son!

Still need to get quite a bit of stuff, but I need to clear out some room both in the garage and on the credit card. The intent is to get the heavy stuff (bumpers, winch, ROP, new fenders), then get the new lift to hold all the weight.

Last edited by RubiconRazorbac; 10-16-2009 at 11:04 PM..
Unread 10-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #40
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Glynn,

Thanks! You are going to busy getting that all installed. Feel free to call should you need any help.

Gerald

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 10-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #41
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So since I didn't end up in the doghouse after yesterday's spree, I ordered a couple more things today:

Rock Hard Winch Bumper w/Angled Hoop---Northridge4x4
Superwinch LP8500---Rokmen
Superwinch Wireless Controller---Rokmen

Remind me again what J.E.E.P. stands for...

EDIT: By the way, took an offer on the '97 today. It'll be gone after this weekend. Don't have enough time for both projects and generates some cash for parts for the Rubi.
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #42
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Time for an update...

Last week also ordered the Antirock (again from Gerald at Savvy Offroad) and Metalcloak fenders & flares (direct from Metalcloak).

I wasn't planning on getting the fenders this early, but kind of lucked into it. I posted a note on this in Metalcloak's thread, but it's a funny story. I've been talking up the arched fenders for awhile, showing them to my wife, telling her we can keep the stock fenders in storage, etc. So that's been the discussion and while the response was positive, it wasn't jump up and down excitement. Well, right after the unveiling of the Overline fenders, Metalcloak also brought back the 20% off sale. So, I showed the Overline fenders to my wife thinking maybe she liked the flat fenders better. So she looks at them and says "but I thought you were going to get the other ones" (original arched fenders). It took me less than 3 minutes to have them ordered. In my haste I even forgot to order the flares, but got that done the next day thanks to some great customer service from Matson

So I actually had some time this afternoon in the garage so I installed the Antirock and the Rock Hard front bumper. Both were EASY installs. The Antirock was as simple as following the instructions from Currie. I read the write-up on Stu's website as well.

I really wanted to install the Savvy rockers this weekend, but it's been raining so the humidity in the garage is off the scale and I can't paint right now. I did find a body shop to paint my corners so I'll be able to get them on too. At some point I'll be calling Gerald for some install tips, but he got off the hook this week

I plan on doing a good thorough write-up on the rocker installs when I do them.

Tomorrow morning the tires get mounted and balanced! Once I get them on, the plan is to (hopefully) install the new brakes and the winch. I'll post pics by the end of the weekend.

Last edited by RubiconRazorbac; 10-16-2009 at 11:20 PM..
Unread 10-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #43
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just had to post about my experience with the body shop I was going to use to paint the corners. Bottom line: they wanted $514.00 to paint two freakin' corners

I don't know what everyone else has paid, but that sounds excessively high to me. If that's the going rate, so be it. Maybe just a lesson I needed to learn about the cost of having something painted at a body shop...

Anyway, looks like I get to learn how to spray body paint & get a new paint gun! I'll still come out a couple hundred ahead
Unread 10-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #44
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Wow! It only cost me $800 for the whole Jeep! Do the two step paint then clear as it will be more durable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Just had to post about my experience with the body shop I was going to use to paint the corners. Bottom line: they wanted $514.00 to paint two freakin' corners

I don't know what everyone else has paid, but that sounds excessively high to me. If that's the going rate, so be it. Maybe just a lesson I needed to learn about the cost of having something painted at a body shop...

Anyway, looks like I get to learn how to spray body paint & get a new paint gun! I'll still come out a couple hundred ahead

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 10-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #45
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got some pics today!

New tires (315/75-16 Mickey Thompson MTZs) & Spidertrax installed. New Rock Hard 4x4 Bumper & Superwinch LP8500 installed. Currie Antirock installed. EBC Yellowstuff & Centric Premium Rotors installed. All done this weekend. Not bad for a couple days in the garage!

Love the tires. However, I don't see how anyone thinks the stock brakes are worth a crap with anything more than 33" tires. These things measure out right at 34.5" and the stock brakes were simply scary. Even my wife said "what did they do to the brakes" when she drove it after the tires were mounted. I put on the EBCs/Centrics this morning and have started breaking them in. MUCH better. Of course I know of folks that say they have no problems with the stock brakes, and good for them. This Jeep definitely needed the upgrade.

Antirock is great. Sure, there's a little more roll around corners, but not much. Drives great.

The bumper and winch were very straightforward. The only minor hiccup with the bumper is where I ended up mounting the fogs. There are mounting holes a little inboard of where I have them now, but they'll interfere with the recovery hooks. The only way to prevent this is to flip the left and right hooks which puts them almost directly behind the hoop. I like them a litte more accessible. As it is now, I have a feeling the fogs are toast the first time I take this thing down a trail Probably time to cut & trim a little. The winch came with a "circuit breaker" that connects the (+) battery terminal to the winch power cable. I don't like the way I had to mount this, but I'll be setting it up a little different when I change out fenders and upgrade the battery.

Things are finally coming together. I've got primer on the Savvy rockers and gas tank skid. I'm only painting the inside of the GTS. I'll keep a nice coat of wax on the outside as I like the bare aluminum. I can always paint it black later if I want.

Still debating on the lift. Just can't get my brain together. I've almost completely ruled out the long arm though. Will probably order the Currie arms soon. Just trying to figure out a spring/shock combo. It'll either be an OME setup or the Currie springs with Ranchos. I keep coming back to the Currie/Rancho combo.

Anyway, the list of "things to buy" is getting shorter. It's nice to have a weekend to get some things done

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.