Rubicon with 2.5" springs, body lift, and other things. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rubicon with 2.5" springs, body lift, and other things.

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
0utlier

Rubicon with 2.5" springs, body lift, and other things.

I know I went round and round about what lift to do, what tires to get, what would look good, what would or wouldn't rub, etc. There are so many ways to skin a cat when it comes to lifts and tires. The choices are seemingly endless. This is what I did, the parts used, and any issues that arose. Hope it helps someone. Keep in mind I am not mechanically inclined. This is not necessarily the best way, just the way I did it. I am also a moderate off-road enthusiast. We love going off-road, but like most our jeep stays on-road most of the time.

Don't mind the step rails. Without it my kids can't get in the jeep. They come off when we go off-roading.

2004 Rubicon
JKS 1.25" body lift
JKS 1" motor mount lift
JKS quicker disconnects

Pros/Cons
- The installation wasn't that bad, but it took me and a friend several hours to complete it. With the motor mount/body lift I did have issues with getting into 2nd and reverse. A quick fix is to simply raise the shift boot via the retainer clip on the stick shift. No vibes or other issues.

Rough Country 2.5" springs front and rear
Rough Country .75" spacer with front springs
Skyjacker Hydro 7000 shocks for 0-3" lift
Skyjacker 7000 steering stabilizer

Pros/Cons
- With very little auto mechanic experience this was a job all by myself. It's pretty straight forward though. I did have to use external spring compressors and I thought I'd never get the rear track bar back in, but perseverance pays off. It took me the better part of Saturday and Sunday to complete the installation. I must admit I did not install the steering stabilizer. In the end it was an interesting experience, but not something I'd want to do by myself again anytime soon. Saving money is awesome, but the time, sweat, and flesh spent may or may not be worth it to some.

I bought a rear track bar relocation bracket by my rear axles didn't shift too terribly much so I didn't use it. My front axles didn't shift much either so I'm still using the stock track bar as well. I have no vibes or other issues. It drives the same as before, but smoother believe it or not.

As you can see from the pictures, the front is not quite level with the rear, but it's pretty close. Without the .75" spacers up front it would look bad in my opinion. Without the winch the front may have been level with the rear.

I do have 1" extended bump stops.

Maxxis Bighorns 255/85-16 on stock rims

Pros/Cons
- I got these tires pretty cheap on ebay. There were no issues with balancing. I recently did a jeep jamboree and was very pleased with the tires. I did have to put in a couple of spacers at the steering stops so as not to rub on the track bar at full turn. I do not rub on the control arms. These are on stock Rubicon rims with no spacers and they fit very nicely under the flares.

Overall I am very happy with the setup.

0utlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, I love Rubicons.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.