Rs4race's build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rs4race's build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 06-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #91
magarnigel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any side shots of your Jeep with the 33's and the Metal Cloaks installed?

magarnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #92
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Love the windjammer. I am selling my soft top. I will just run that same set up from now on. Do you like the set up?
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #93
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like the look of the setup, but the windjammer and the tonnue cover dont actually seal, so theres a big leak where they meet behind the seats.

Im going to modify the windjammer to zip together with the tonnue cover to fix this.

I do have pictures of 33's with the metalcloaks, you will have to go back a few pages where I initially installed them.

On a side note I rolled the jeep on saturday wheeling at little naches. I got a really bad line on a simple obstacle and "teetered" over. So I am thinking about purchasing a lexan hood instead of getting another steel hood. Im still up in the air about it tho. I came out pretty lucky I only cracked my windshield/ dented the windshield frame, and dented the hood.

Heres a pic.

And some others from the rest of the day.

Unread 06-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #94
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
...Im still up in the air about it tho.
No...pun...intended.

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #95
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered some monsta liner today. That leak from the top left some rust on my floorboards.

I have some binding in the rear suspension too. Im not sure what it is, taking the rubber jounce off of the bumpstops I cant get the suspension to bottom out and I still have almost 2" of travel on the shocks. I think this might be related to my rollover, I dont think I was flexing as much as I should have been. They extend all the way on both sides but I cant seem to get them to bottom out on either side.
Unread 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #96
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

check your shocks and see if they touch the gastank, once I set my pinion angle my shock wer firmly pressed into my tank, I had to relocate them mudb8 style.
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #97
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
check your shocks and see if they touch the gastank, once I set my pinion angle my shock wer firmly pressed into my tank, I had to relocate them mudb8 style.
Thanks for the tip. Im going to check that out a little later.
Unread 07-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #98
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well the shocks arent hitting the tank, they are hitting the lower spring buckets. I want to relocate them mudb8 style with a little bit longer shock. Im interested in relocating the front shocks to the lower control arm mount too as seen on one of his posts by another user.

Im sure my track bar is binding too. I have an adjustable one coming in the mail. Just waiting for it to get here. On a side note the rest of my control arms came in today.
I have a gas tank skid that I will be working on next week Im going to try to mod it so I can get a little stretch in the rear, and adjust to get the most stretch I can on stock mounting points.

Anybody who looks at this know how much travel the rc 2.5" lift shocks have? I guess I might have to measure later, but Im looking for a substitution. Im thinking OME since the ride is supposed to be alot better, but if anybody has any suggestions let me know.
Unread 07-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #99
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a stretch in progress. Its just a small one tho.

Im starting out .5" longer arms in the front and 1" longer arms in the rear. Hopefully I can roll with this combo. I bolted it all together today, and will try to flex it out tomorrow to see if there are any clearance issues. I will be modifying the stock gas tank, so if thats the only obstical out back then I will be golden.

On the list of things to do:
Modify gas tank skid for diff clearance/ tuck.
flex out suspension to check for clearance/ binding.
trim tub for rear tire clearance.
mount up rear fenders.
mount up front fenders/ finish painting hood.
Monstaliner the tub.
Install UCF lopro tc mount.
Relocate lower shock mounts.
Relocate lower spring bucket.

Thats it for now I think. I'll be sure to get some pics of how I am modifying the stock skid for the "stretch". I dont really want to go that far, just center the tires in the wheel wells better with a little more wheelbase than stock.
Unread 07-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #100
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the suspension adjusted and the tank dimpled. It's sitting at 96" wheelbase, starting at 94.5". I'm hoping to get it together and take it wheeling next week. Monstaliner came in lastnight, and I'm waiting for my lopro tc mount to come in.

Nothing incredible, I'm gonna clean it up tomorrow, here's a crappy pic of the tank, I got the idea from pirate4x4.

Here's a pic of the stretch, lower arms are 1" longer on front and rear, except the front is on adjustable bolts on the furthest setting foreward. I'm hoping this will make the pinion tilt down as the axle moves up. The idea is to keep the axle from hitting the trackbar. We'll see how it works when I flex it out. .5" up front. 1.5" rear stretch.

Unread 07-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #101
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

oo man that doesnt sound to good from what happened since the rollover

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #102
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458WinMAG View Post
oo man that doesnt sound to good from what happened since the rollover
LOL, That I started buying a bunch of crap?
Unread 07-09-2010, 04:57 AM   #103
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

did you take an incho out of the tank skid while you have it out? nows the time

looks good man, im likin it!
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #104
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yep. Well Kinda took an inch out. The newer skid has ribs on it so i lost a little clearance there, but it seems like they would make it alot stronger. I raised the rear of the skid 1", but the front of the skid I left how it was.

Rite now I have a smidgen over 2" of clearance from the diff to the gas tank. I can only see two things that can be an issue:
Track bar hitting the tank strap on downtravel,
Shocks hitting spring buckets like before.

The track bar I have a feeling that it wont be a problem, but if it is then I will modify the skid some more.
The shocks have more clearance now than they did before, I think sloppy bushings and a pinion angle that was a tad high lead to the problems hitting the spring buckets. I have what looks like plenty of clearance now, and I think once I get the ucf lopro tc mount it will drop the pinion angle more which will give more clearance. In the end tho I do plan on relocating the lower shock mounts and spring buckets.

Im gonna get back to work on sunday and hopefully finish up everything so I can get back on the road and on the trail next week.

I donno where my camera is but here are some phone pics.

Not my best work but someone else could produce nicer looking stuff with the same concept.

Unread 07-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #105
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well some updates are in order. I monstalined the tub today. I had a dd/ track car, that I had herculined in the past. The herculiner was gritty and very rough which made it hard to clean aswell. Well this monstaliner goes on thick and smooth. I have a good feeling about this stuff, well see how it holds up. I would caution anyone who plans on using this stuff to roll it slow, and don't wear any clothes you want to keep clean. Somehow I have splatters all over my shorts but nothing on the exterior paint that I could see. I did get some spots on the rear bumper from rolling too fast tho, and even though I was wearing gloves it's still all over my hands.

Some pics after the first coat.

I also put a stock trackbar back on. After reading mudb8's thread on trackbars for under 3" I decided to take out my springs and check. Of course I already had the marks on the diff cover. I found out my track bar was hitting with 3" of uptravel still.

I'm gonna keep the adjustable and see if I can make a bolt on bracket to shift it foreward to clear the diff cover..

So with that in mind I lost that .5" stretch in the front.. And I'll check the rear tomorrow and trim the tub. I think it's good at 96" wb tho. I don't want to stretch the rear any more than I have it, I might try and see if I can get that .5 back with the stock trackbar...

Sorry too much monstaliner fumes.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.