Rs4race's build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rs4race's build

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #76
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I tried "stretching" but without ditching the gas tank and changing the factory steering box location, you're stuck at stock wheelbase. At full bump in the rear, my diff cover is almost touching my gas tank so I'm as stretched as I can get back there. Up front, there are two constraints. The first is the tie rod and drag link (Currie) will contact each other at the juncture if you go too far foward. Second, the track bar and diff cover will hit each other more severely and earlier in the suspension cycle the farther you go forward. With both ends maxxed out, I'm at stock wheelbase. Not cool--and agreed, I want to stretch BADLY. But adjustable short arms won't get you anything either so at that point, it's time to go with longer arms.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #77
8nine-sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

loooking sweet
Unread 04-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #78
catalog
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't paint the wheels Black...... Rest of the mods look good though man.
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #79
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

So, as for a little strech I have a full set of Rokmen control arms. They are the Dual JJ ones for a CV shaft. I have my WB set at 95 inches flat. I have a Riddler diff cover on the D30. The track bar hits there. No issues with the Currie steering. The rear track bar does scrape my gas tank Skid . Not bad though. Maybe this will help. Lots of pictures in my build thread.

Jeep looks great. Love the New D44
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #80
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice build rs4 race, did you do anything with your rear trackbar for setting up your sye?
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #81
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks bandit. I didn't do anything to the rear trackbar when I did the sye but I do plan on an adjustable one soon.

Imped. Checked my clearance the other day and it seems like I have quite a bit, almost an inch from diff to tank skid when compressed. I also noticed the gas tank skid bolt holes are notched to locate it front and rear. I have a peice of angle aluminum I was planning on modifying the skid with to raise it. When I do that I'm going to try to push the tank back as far as I can while I'm at it. I haven't looked at the front end yet, but if I get back to stock wheelbase I will be happy.
Unread 04-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #82
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I raised my tank and I ended up with less clearance at my trackbar because when I slotted the holes for the tank straps it actually brought the up enough to contact the trackbar upon compression, just something to look out for.

also the main thing holding you back on moving the tank back a whole lot is how little room the front holes where the skid attaches to the crossmember have to be slotted, but if you used some wider angle like you said you may be able to pull it off.
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #83
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice build so far! What difference did the 4.56s make over the 3.55s?

...subscribed.

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #84
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bandit do you have any pics of the gas tank raise?

tirefryer the difference is quite noticable. Driving on the street is pretty close to stock, and mpg's went up considerably. I havent gotten a chance to get thru a whole tank of just street driving, but the average has been 16 so far. Acceleration is by far better, and I dont have to downshift on the highway at all. On a side note 1st gear seems really short, but just because I got used to the taller gearing. On the trail the difference is pretty nice. What you get is a much nicer crawl ratio. The slower speeds make it easier to negotiate obsticals and also control speed thru engine braking. I beleive 3rd now is closer to what 2nd was before in 4lo.

Here are some pics and a couple of videos from saturday. You cant really tell but the small hill climb there is pretty steep.

Unread 04-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #85
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

heres a link to the few pics that were taken
clicky

ended up with 17" of clearance at the tank

before

after

theres a good comparison!

I used lupinsea's writeup and it was a good help on the removal and what you can cut off, but once you get going its pretty easy.
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
Unread 04-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #86
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just a little update. I ordered a safari top, wrap around windjammer, and duster lastnight. On sunday I went wheeling and one of my worst fears came true, I found myself with the hardtop pinned up against a tree. It was a pretty scary situation, I tried to back out of it and go a different angle, but in the end I had to rub against the tree. So I went slow, and came out with the smallest scratch in the front. So I bought the summer top/setup. Hopefully it will be here next week and I can take the hardtop off.

I need a rear adjustable trackbar too. I have the bracket on right now, and with the sye and upper arms adjusted the bracket makes the trackbar hit the bolts for the gas tank skid.

I have rusty's adjustable RUCA's and I like the stock bushings in them. So I'm probably going to go rusty's again, and also get the rest of the control arms while Im at it. To go with that I plan on redrilling the rear lower control arm mounts as described in AEV's stinger upgrade.

On a different note the auburn ecteds work great. I used them several times over the weekend. Most of the time I left them off, as lockers tend to make my jeep push in the tight corners and evans creek has alot of tight corners. There was an occasion where I found myself not moving anymore and just getting some wheel spin. I flipped the locker switches, and after a tire rotation or two I was moving foreward again.

Regearing alone is a very valuable mod. It makes it much easier to negotiate obsticles. Combine that with the selectable lockers and you have tons of grip and you can keep speeds low. Which means your less likely to break something.

Thats all for now. I'll try to post some pics of the wheeling trip soon.
Unread 05-07-2010, 12:35 AM   #87
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I rebuilt the front driveshaft today. It was just short of a 2 hour job. Stu Olsen has a good writeup on his webpage.

I also finally bought a CB. I got a midland... dont remember the model, but it works as a portable, but also has an adapter to mount it in the vehicle to an antenna and to vehicle power.

I want to install the new top this weekend and go wheeling, but Im thinking most likely I will end up just hanging out and doing homework.
Unread 05-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #88
catalog
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When you getting that stock skid form me?

Got a Warn one for sale too.
Unread 05-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #89
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Put some new stuff on. Bestop safari top, wraparound windjammer, and duster. I like it except that bestop didnt really plan for this stuff to work together. A few of the straps cant be hooked up because the windjammer is in the way. Im going to find a solution to this later on but for now its gonna chill like this.

Unread 05-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #90
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalog View Post
When you getting that stock skid form me?

Got a Warn one for sale too.
damn I forgot about that skid jeff. I wanted to pick it up this weekend but forgot. I will give you a call and see if I can pick it up this week or on sunday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.