Rs4race's build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rs4race's build

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #61
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So this is where I left off today. I trimmed 1" off of the flares, and installed them 1.5" higher than stock. It didnt turn out too bad. Im probably going to end up Shortening the bumpstops a tad, and then checking if I need to trim the body some more.

So I decided to trim the flares, and thought up a way to get a nice consistant 1" trimmed all around so I made this deal out of some foam.

I used a box knife to make the cut, it came out pretty smooth, Im glad I decided to cut them since I found a crack in one of the corners and it would have only gotten bigger if I left it be.

In the next couple of weeks I will be installing Bar pin eliminators in the rear, shortening the bumpstops slightly, and most importantly regearing to 4.56 and auburn ected selectable lockers. This build is really coming together. I love the new tires, Im a little weirded out by the stance, I wouldnt mind it being a little wider, but then I would have to rethink the rear fenders, and Im already pushing it in the front for tire coverage.

On the other hand my girlfriend, even though its harder to get in now, thinks I need to raise it more, iits kinda weird because I wouldnt mind lowering it .5-1". Im getting tons of compliments on the jeep, tons of thumbs ups, and people comin by and lettin me know they like it.

I also did a couple brake tests today and it seems like Im fine with the brakes. It still stops quick, and if I press hard enough I will lock up the front tires, even with it nosing down as much as it does. Driving on these is alot different from the 33's. Originally the shop had them set at 35psi and it was a pretty rough ride, I dropped them to 28 and its better but a little noisier so Im gonna have to play with the pressures a little bit. Also on some of the tires there are alot of weights on the wheels, Im going to have to research the airsoft pellets to see about doing that, cause Im sure inevitably these are gonna fall off.

If anybody reads this thread and you have any info on the air soft pellets, please fill me in!

Unread 03-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #62
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I really like what you did with the flares, raising them like that, good job man.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #63
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks,

I drilled new holes, and cut the back of the wheel opening a bit, about 1.5". The two top fender screws thread into some plastic pieces inside of the jeep, I reused two existing holes that had nutserts, and I drilled out two holes for the rear of the flare. It took awhile to line up everything nice and even but it was worth it. Both sides are consistant, minus I had to cut out around the gas cap, but they follow the same lines on the body. The fenders went up 1.5" and back ~1".

On a side note I was thinking about getting some cam bolts for the rear lower arms to stretch it a smidgen, but really it doesnt seem like there is enough material to install those, since you have to cut some slots if im not mistaken. I want to get some new front lower arms, to smooth out some rubbing on full turn also.

I just went out and snapped a couple of pics, sorry, as usual they are iphone pics, but they show how the fenders are mounted and where I cut.

Unread 03-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #64
opie2l
2006 TJ Wrangler 

are your front fenders 4"?
opie2l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #65
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

how are those 35s with the 3.73s right now? I like the trimmed flares, looks a lot better.

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #66
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They are the 4" flares. Actually they are 3.55 gears rite now and it's not that bad, starting from a stop is kinda sluggish and the speedometer is way off but it's bearable. I could see someone driving like this for a long time, but I'm still looking foreward to new gears.
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #67
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

ohh yea i figured new gears will deff be a much improvement over 3.55s when i step up to 37s ill need to do so too.

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #68
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Brown Santa came by today and left a couple of presents for me at my door. (no chiminey)

A pair of auburn ecteds and yesterday a set of 4.56 gears for my d30 and d44 with master install kits!

This thing is getting locked up!

So far the auburn ecteds look nice, they come with all the wiring including rocker switches, grommet for the diff, and gear oil. You can see the D44 is much larger than the D30, and it utilizes a 6 planetary gears instead of 4 like the D30. The electromagnetic coils are also located on opposite ends from one diff to the other, on the D44 its on the ring gear side, and the D30 is opposite.

I slipped the Ring gears on after heating them up on the BBQ and finger tightened the ring gear bolts on to hold them in place. Im not actually starting the install until next week. I would like to start it now, but I dont want to miss a competition my Girlfriend is going to. So for now Im just doing a couple little things like measuring the shims, and opening boxes....

On to the pics!

Unread 03-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #69
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thats all for now. I want to get an offroad trip in before next week so I can see the improvement the tires made, and also before and after the gears/lockers.
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #70
INCA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

wow looks really nice!
INCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #71
the_art_of_desi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Where did you get that plug for your winch solenoid?
2.5L : AX-5 : NP231, D30HP : D44 : 4:88 : Front Aussie
2.5" OME lift, OME LT shocks, 2" BL, Currie Control Arms, Currie HD Steering, Currie Trackbars, Warn M8000
Custom Front and Rear Bumpers, Custom Rock Sliders, OBA
33" x 12.5" x 15" Goodyear MTRs, Black Steelies
the_art_of_desi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #72
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_art_of_desi View Post
Looks good! Where did you get that plug for your winch solenoid?
thanks, it came off the winch solenoid box.

On a side note I want to stretch the wheelbase a little bit. I measured it earlier and its about 92.5" and stock is supposed to be 93.4". There is space behind my diff, but with the trac bar relocation braket will hit the gas tank. Im thinking if I go to an adjustable rear trac bar that will solve that. Does anybody that reads this thread have experience with this?

Also I would like to see if I can find a little bit of extra wheelbase in the front, but its looking like my trac bar already is hitting the diff cover.
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #73
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I have some updates. In the past couple of weeks I did the following:

Found out I had a d35 and broke it.
Built a d44 from parts.
Regeared the d30 and installed a locker.
Replaced the rear brake pads/hardware.
Upgraded to v8 cherokee tie rod.
Installed JKS bar pin eliminators in the rear.
Wired up switches for the lockers.

This is what a brand new d44 looks like.
Motive gear 4.56 gears
Auburn Ected
Ten factory alloy shafts (motive gear)
Thick diff cover
Yukon 1310 yoke
Timken Bearings
Stock brakes, with new pads...

Then theres the switches for the lockers. I tried to wire them up to the 4x4 switch, but ended up wiring it to a relay, and the relay gets the signal from the cigarette lighter.

And then finally theres the Tie rod upgrade. The tie rod, tie rod end and adjuster are beastly compared to stock tie rod. Thicker, and solid even. It was just under $120 all together at the local parts store. The part numbers are:
DS1312
ES3096L
ES2079S

Unread 04-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #74
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

New parts are lookin' sexy.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #75
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I finally wired my e-fan up to a relay so it turns off with the ignition now. Actually the cool thing is I found a 40amp relay at radio shack that plugs into the fusebox under the hood. I used the slot for the auxiliary fan (i dont have an auxillary fan) and just rewired the signal leads to the starter relay signals. So the relay for the fan plugs into the box, and it has its own fuse in the box as well.

I took a pic earlier also. I saw a pic in the lcog picture thread of bricktop2's jeep which is stretched. Now I want to stretch more than ever. I'll finally have enough miles to change my diff fluids so tomorrow I'll change those and check to see how much stretch I could get away with, It would be nice to get an inch in the rear and a little in the front would be nice too, but Im sure the track bar/diff cover is going to be a problem in the front, and the gas tank in the rear..

Heres the pic. Im pretty sure it needs a stretch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.