Rotted Tub Replacement - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rotted Tub Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 02-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #91
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

All the under-tub work was completed so I brought the tub in from outside and used the internal frame coating that I had leftover from the frame in the rails on the tub.

tubingarage.jpg

tubwitheastwood.jpg

tubwitheastwood2.jpg

whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #92
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got the tub in place with a little help from the wife . That is where I am currently. Probably go to the hardware store for some bolts today and get er tightened down.
tubinplace.jpg

tubinplace2.jpg

tubinplace3.jpg

Unread 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #93
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

jeep is looking great

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #94
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good work so far! I read back on post 58 or so something about the tracbars. Might I be the first to suggest throwing them in the trash? the jeep will ride and flex 10x better without them. truly un-needed on a yj.
Keep it up!
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #95
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just been working on the painting the inside of the tub, and tbi conversion. Tub liner going in tomorrow.
1stpic.jpg

2ndpic.jpg

3ardpic.jpg

5thpic.jpg

lastpic.jpg

startharness.jpg

Unread 03-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #96
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Liner in.
monsta1.jpg

monsta2.jpg

monsta3.jpg

monsta4.jpg

Unread 03-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #97
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Put the pedals and the ductwork in today. Had to make an adapter plate for the reserviour. It appears they vary from 89 to 95 so mine wouldn't bolt up to the new firewall.
slavecylglance.jpg

Unread 03-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #98
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had to freehand the hole for the plunger using the torch. I didn't have anything big enough to make that opening.
slaveadptplate.jpg

Unread 03-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #99
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There she is put away all snug. I'm praying that the negative 3/16" of travel doesn't affect the slave cylinder operation.
slavemounted.jpg

Unread 03-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #100
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
Good work so far! I read back on post 58 or so something about the tracbars. Might I be the first to suggest throwing them in the trash? the jeep will ride and flex 10x better without them. truly un-needed on a yj.
Keep it up!
Thanks. I have been asking about that whenever I come across somebody that mentions they threw the tracbars in the trash. I can do some AutoCAD, but I got a buddy that is really good at SolidWorks and said he'd have to draw it on that to see the effects. I don't think I need to get that involved with it, but since I am putting this back together, I figure it's just a couple bolts to remove to take them off another day after its done. I'd like to ride it for a while with them, then remove so I can feel the difference.
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #101
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here is one thats already made. besides the obvious offroad gain, it will remove alot of the bumpiness of the ride. certain roads that used to feel like a mech bull, the jeep rolls over like a car. Im sure buffalo, NY has some choice road conditions like we do here
Make your own choice though!
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #102
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, I've seen that diagram. Pretty generic. I think in solidworks you can account actual loading and center of gravities and see the true effects.

Once I get her back on the road ill feel her out in stock form for a lil bit, and then ill take the bars off on a slow day. I haven't drove er since November, so I wouldn't be able to feel the effects so much. If I don't do it that way it will bug me forever not truly knowing the difference! lol.
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #103
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I hear ya, mine just got back on the road, parked since halloween for "renovations"
I wasnt trying to tell you just to rip them out, Just meant to suggest it is all. It was and still is one of the best things ever done to my jeep!
How is the TBI coming?
Unread 03-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #104
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, I hear ya man. They'll be coming out, no biggie. I appreciate the conversation.

I rocketed through the tub removal/frame repair and painting/tub install. I think like 6 weeks? (took some time off work). The tbi is not going as fast. The existing wiring involves a lot of head scratching too. The tbi system is laid out on the jeep right now. TB mounted, a few sensors screwed in, fuel pump block off plate mounted, VSS in place....

The existing wiring is kinda holding me up right now. Wiring never was something I enjoyed.
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #105
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So, the tbi conversion set me back a couple of weeks. I dove right into it when I should have done a lot more reading before starting. But I'm a learn with my hands kind of guy, so that's how it goes I guess. Long story short the injectors were flooding the engine. But I didn't know what a normal spray pattern looks like, so even though I knew it was flooding, I did not know how to trace the issue. Since I had to take the wiring harness off the engine a couple times to go through it and look for errors, I didn't route any wiring neatly the last time I was working on it. Well I was getting wire interference off the coil and sparkplug wires which was causing the injectors to dump a hell of a lot more gas than normal. After the issue was found it starts up and purrs. Runs really good!
My only issue was that I have smoke coming from where the manifolds mate to the cylinder head. So I took this as a good time to clean and paint the engine. I didn't plan on doing any "dress up" work since I'm not out for under-the-hood looks, but I'm really glad I did.
I think my smoking issue is from the #11 cylinder head bolt. Back in July of last year; when I lost a nut in the carburetor, I want to say that I used threadlocker on that bolt, which wouldn't be the right thing to use.
jeepengineblock.jpg

manifoldprogress.jpg

blockstripped.jpg

blockprimed2.jpg

blockprimed.jpg

manifoldgasket.jpg

blockpaintedwithgaskets.jpg

blockmanifoldside.jpg

blockdone.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.