So, the tbi conversion set me back a couple of weeks. I dove right into it when I should have done a lot more reading before starting. But I'm a learn with my hands kind of guy, so that's how it goes I guess. Long story short the injectors were flooding the engine. But I didn't know what a normal spray pattern looks like, so even though I knew it was flooding, I did not know how to trace the issue. Since I had to take the wiring harness off the engine a couple times to go through it and look for errors, I didn't route any wiring neatly the last time I was working on it. Well I was getting wire interference off the coil and sparkplug wires which was causing the injectors to dump a hell of a lot more gas than normal. After the issue was found it starts up and purrs. Runs really good!
My only issue was that I have smoke coming from where the manifolds mate to the cylinder head. So I took this as a good time to clean and paint the engine. I didn't plan on doing any "dress up" work since I'm not out for under-the-hood looks, but I'm really glad I did.
I think my smoking issue is from the #11 cylinder head bolt. Back in July of last year; when I lost a nut in the carburetor, I want to say that I used threadlocker on that bolt, which wouldn't be the right thing to use.