Rotted Tub Replacement - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rotted Tub Replacement

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 02-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #61
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

i'm gonna try n spray mine,I don't know what color for it yet, i was thinking either tan or red but i'm not sure

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #62
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Frame is looking great. As far as the tractor supply paint goes make sure you prep and thin with the correct stuff and let it fully cure, I have had mixed results with it myself.

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
IceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #63
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKnight View Post
Frame is looking great. As far as the tractor supply paint goes make sure you prep and thin with the correct stuff and let it fully cure, I have had mixed results with it myself.
Used rubbing alcohol to clean, then sand with 1000 grit, then clean. SEM etching primer on the zinc coated brackets, rustoleum primer on the axel. Didn't do any thining though. Thin it so it dries faster and more effectively? Use mineral spirits?
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #64
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Prep
Unread 02-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #65
IceKnight

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Naptha would be the stuff to use or the thinner from the paint company themselves, using their hardened/catalyst wouldn't hurt either. The first time I painted with it, it took quite a long time to dry. The next time I use the hardener and things cured up a bit faster. Although I have read quite a few different ways of laying this paint.

I'm looking for bent, twisted, broken axle shafts inners and outers, output shafts, etc...Please let me know if you have anything.
IceKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #66
napaguy

I would sand it with something a little coarser myself. I used 220 on mine but you could even go 320.
napaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #67
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I used 220 and 180 on mine, looked like the rustoleum was thick enough to make up for the extra roughness.
Shadownwpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #68
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot to take an "after" pic, but got em all painted and installed in the rear. They are just axel parts that are going to be covered in mud and road grime, so I'm not too too worried about the finish, just wanted the paint to stick. I wouldn't even have worried about the axels but I didn't want to get done with this project and see old brown and rusty axels sticking out from underneath. Not doing a showroom restoration here, just getting rid of rust and rot for a solid ride. Axels will probably be swapped out someday anyway. It looks like the Explorer 8.8 is the popular way to go.
unset-.jpg

Unread 02-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #69
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

After I got the rear in I realized that the reason I couldn't bolt up the front of the leafs was because I was trying to use the larger diameter bolts where I installed the smaller diameter shackle bushing sleaves. . It's bugging me and am wondering if I should bother unbolting it and put the larger sleaves in there so I can put the larger bolts in. Not much of a difference in diameter, not sure if it's worth the effort. (Yes, the rear track bar is in. All stock stuff is going back and can be modded later after some research and road use).
unset-2.jpg

unset-3.jpg

Unread 02-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #70
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Had one of my bumpstops fall apart during disassembly. I drilled out the plate, used some silicone, (because I was out of liquid nails), and a drywall screw. It's on there pretty solid. Someday i'll just buy some new ones, but not necessary at this point, (on a limited budget).
unset-1.jpg

Unread 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #71
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dragged my butt out there yesterday even though I was hungover and got the front unbolted, cleaned up, and painted up. Heading out there shortly to get the rest of the lift kit in and done. Then I got a decayed gas tank skid to repair and install, gas tank install, brake and fuel lines to run, gotta pick up a new parking brake assy. and install, exhaust install, and that may be about it before the new tub goes on!
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #72
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

progress is looking good

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #73
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Putting a lot of time in.
Unread 02-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #74
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

More progress today. Got lift fully installed and started torqueing down some bolts. 90 ft lbs is a workout!
unset-zzod3o4m.jpg

unset-fkq74wv5.jpg

Unread 02-10-2014, 11:56 PM   #75
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wrong shock size that the PO had on. 2.5" extenders on top.
unset-a9axlt5y.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.