RockWolf's TJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > RockWolf's TJ Build

JKS Grand Cherokee WJ, Adjustable Front Trackbar 1"-6Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier & Adjustable Spare Tire FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till Apri

Unread 01-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

RockWolf's TJ Build

Welcome to my jeep's build thread. I've had my jeep since 08 and it served me well as a DD in high school and college. I built it up with what I could afford at the time, mostly craigslist deals and cheaper parts, and learned a lot building and offroading it. Now that i've graduated college and have a little extra change in my pocket the jeep is going through some changes so I figured i'd catch you guys up and have a place where you can follow along.

It is an 05, auto, d30/35 and I bought it completely stock. I didnt know much about jeeps or cars in general and the most work i'd done to a car was an oil change. One of the first things I did to it was put some 31" BFG All Terrains and started finding local trails to see what it could do. I then saved up and bought and installed a Rough Country 3.25" kit and did the typical noob stuff like take the milk jugs off, tow hooks, etc.

Rock_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #2
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I found a fabtech front bumper and winch plate on craigslist and bolted it on. The 31s were worn out so I bought some 33" MTRs. The KC lights were a show special and I bought them for cheap. You can also see the Trail Gear rock sliders I installed back when they were only like $110.

Unread 01-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wheeled it like that for a long time. Most of my money went towards gas and school but I did do some cheap mods here and there when I could as well as maintenance and fixing some of the issues that came up due to the cheap lift and stock suspension parts.

Last edited by Rock_Wolf; 01-08-2016 at 12:21 AM..
Unread 01-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
20jeepster10
2004 TJ Wrangler 

very nice! get to work now lol.
20jeepster10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up some Ravines on CL. These are still some of my favorite wheels. If they had less backspacing i'd still be running them today

Last edited by Rock_Wolf; 01-14-2016 at 12:40 AM..
Unread 01-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jeepster10 View Post
very nice! get to work now lol.
Ehh slow day

Eventually swapped the Ravines for some MT wheels with less backspacing and also bought an Engo 9k winch

Last edited by Rock_Wolf; 01-14-2016 at 12:40 AM..
Unread 01-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
williamb81
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice!
williamb81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2016, 12:14 AM   #8
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamb81 View Post
Very nice!
Thank you

I picked up a Bestop tub mounted tire carrier and a rear flush bumper/crossmember and installed a Spartan locker in the Dana 30 as a well as a Savvy steering box skid.

Unread 01-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Around this time I picked up a cheap 220v flux core welder and began teaching myself to fab and weld. The first project I did was an engine skid that bolted to the stock shovel.

Unread 01-08-2016, 10:41 PM   #10
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

At this point I had been dealing with my crappy suspension for a while and I decided I wanted to freshen up the suspension and spend my money on quality parts. I began by welding in the Currie front housing kit along with Currie Upper control arms.

I knew I was eventualy going to tuck up as high as I could so I went ahead and installed a JB Conversions SS SYE along with Savvy upper control arms and Savvy front lower control arms and a Tattons drive shaft.

Unread 01-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #11
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I swapped out the rear coils for some 3" Currie ones I got from a friend and swapped the fronts to 4" Currie springs. I installed a Currie Antirock but need to shorten the links a bit so i can stiffen it up a bit. I also installed some Fox IFP's up front but due to the nature of the shock I had to extend my bumpstops another inch. I'll get around to adjusting my shock mounts soon. And finally I added YJ brake lines for the extra length.

TDS was the first run with the new setup. The shocks are kind of stiff on the street but work well in the dirt and whoops.

When testing out the shocks I went theough some whoops a little faster than I probably should have and my winch solenoid box decided it didnt want to be attatched to my winch anymore so I relocated it under the hood.

Here it is with the cover off in the driver side tray

You can see the wires attatched to the solenoid which run to my in cab controller

I made new cables out of 2 gauge welding lead

You can see how the front end looks without the solenoid box in these pics from a run through Gold Mountain and John Bull up in Big Bear

Last edited by Rock_Wolf; 01-14-2016 at 01:13 AM..
Unread 01-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #12
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a ford 8.8 off of craigslist to build up and knew it would benefit me to upgrade my welder. I picked up a new to me L-Tec Migmaster 250. I bought a new gun for it since the old original one was in bad shape. For being a really old machine it throws down a nice weld.

I worked on a couple smaller projects to get used to the welder and practice different techniques, like this table.

Welding with gas is soo much better. I knew I should have done it sooner.

Last edited by Rock_Wolf; 01-12-2016 at 05:57 PM..
Unread 01-14-2016, 01:09 AM   #13
Rock_Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine with a JK upgraded his rear end to a Dana 60 and installed 37s. He made me a deal I could not pass up on his rear dana 44 and pretty much new 35's on 17" wheels. So the 8.8 project went out the window in favor of JK axles.

The hunt began for a front JK Dana 44 but they are impossible to find at a reasonable price. I ended up buying a JK D30 geared to 5.13 for dirt cheap. Just missing all the outers. Since I have the 42rle, these gears will work perfectly and i'll be regearing the rear to match.

I started collecting parts for the axle swap. Most of the parts I need to swap the rear are here. I bought all my brackets from Artec and a simple truss from Sky Mfg. I just need to buy Johnny Joints and Tube. I'm going to be doing a Triangulated uppers 4 link mid arm at the same time.

So that brings us to where I am now, still collecting all the parts I need so my jeep wont be out of commission too long. I'm not in a huge rush to get started. I want to knock out my tummy tuck before I start measuring and setting up brackets. I'm hoping to head over to Savvy and pick up their Under armor soon. I already have their cable shifter which you can see in the pic above.

Another reason i'm not in a hurry to tear it down is we are currently getting a good amount of rain thanks to El Nino, which means fresh snow in the mountains. We took advantage of the full week of snowing and ran 3N16 from Green Valley Lake toward Big bear.

We almost made it to Big Bear but it was too deep and the sun was starting to go down so we turned around and took a trail out to the hwy. It makes me excited to eventually be locked front and rear with beadlocks so I can air down really low. That will be a game changer in the snow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.