RockSpyder 4570 Build -The Saga Continues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > RockSpyder 4570 Build -The Saga Continues

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

RockSpyder 4570 Build -The Saga Continues

For many of you tuning in there has been a long awaited journey for me to say I Finally get the opportunity to start Racing. Weather its JeepSpeed, Dirt Riot, or Ultra4. I recently Sold my Poison Spyder Build TJ and aquired Rock Krawlers 4570 Race LJ.

If you are tuning in for the first time my road to enlightenment can be found on my thread herefrom the TJ PSC Build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ld-tj-1296861/

If you want to see the original thread form the RockKrawler 4570 you cna look here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...ow-jacket.html

This will be my new direction. I cant thank Jeremy at Rock Krawler and Larry from PSC for this opportunity to be a part of something great.

I will have more to add as the days come, but for now i leave you with the start of this journey

Unread 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
awinski
2012 JK Wrangler 

are the rear tail lights painted on? idk if you're planning to street drive this like the tj but it looks like you just have some minor mods to do . excited for this one!
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Can't wait to see some action!
Unread 05-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #4
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

please repaint that thing. too damn shiny.

just looked at the thread on pirate. holy **** did they somewhat tear RK a new ******* in that thread. are you going to re-work everything or test/tune/etc before your first race or race first and then build on that
duc202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have always liked this LJ. Glad to see it in another owner's hands. I will be following and please do something with that yellow. Way to loud.
Unread 05-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
are the rear tail lights painted on? idk if you're planning to street drive this like the tj but it looks like you just have some minor mods to do . excited for this one!
They are a vinyl. Yeah some few easy mods and were back on the highways!

Quote:
please repaint that thing. too damn shiny.

just looked at the thread on pirate. holy **** did they somewhat tear RK a new ******* in that thread. are you going to re-work everything or test/tune/etc before your first race or race first and then build on that
I thought the same about the yellow... but its kinda growing on me now

And yeah they didn't document a lot of this build and got blasted for it. I don't have a pirate thread or account cause I never wanted to get trashed for any of my builds.. I like criticism.. without the feeling of wanting to jump off a bridge lol.

Quote:
have always liked this LJ. Glad to see it in another owner's hands. I will be following and please do something with that yellow. Way to loud.
Excited about the new LJ, wheelbase and history form this rig. maybe sometime soon the yellow will disappear, but for its first race July 11th, Im keepin the yellow on

Quote:
Awesome. Can't wait to see some action!
Me neither Matt!
Unread 05-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
duc202
1997 TJ Wrangler 

that's the one thing I love about pirate, they make you work for your respect in a way.

will it be branded under the poison spyder team? hopefully you can get the issues taken care of that they were plagued with when they took it to KOH tech
duc202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed for the ride..........as usual

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2015, 01:24 AM   #9
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc202
that's the one thing I love about pirate, they make you work for your respect in a way. will it be branded under the poison spyder team? hopefully you can get the issues taken care of that they were plagued with when they took it to KOH tech
Yeah if I started from scratch I would dual post in a pirate thread but I think if/when I do post a build there I will get more answers for things im working on with the car.

I won't be racing under PSC or 4WP (but that doesn't mean they won't be a part of it in a huge way), it will be me racing for myself but Rock Krawler is the title sponsor and will still be the RockKrawler Icon while on the track. Pretty cool that I can still work with the Sponsors that were already involved with the 4570 car for the past 2 years. That helps tremendously! Jeremy is going to be helping me through this journey with the car and really dialing it in and to what we are looking for. Wether it's short course, KOH, or dirt riot.

By all means I'm no Larry McRae or Rob Mac behind the wheel. I have much to learn about driving, and how every inch of the car works. This won't be a turn the key and go kinda thing, it's going to be probably the hardest thing I've ever done.. Minus my quantum physics final that one def takes the cake haha

Jeremy at RK gave me a bunch of info on their issues and what was the route of them. There is much change to happen to the car over the next few months before the first race at Glen Helen July 10-11
Unread 05-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver831 View Post
Jeremy at RK gave me a bunch of info on their issues and what was the route of them. There is much change to happen to the car over the next few months before the first race at Glen Helen July 10-11
Care to let us in on the items you are planning to change?
Unread 05-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdown87 View Post
Subbed for the ride..........as usual
Atta Boy!!!

Quote:
Care to let us in on the items you are planning to change?
I haven't dove into the car too deep. so far just done a clean up, detail and put my hands on most every component to check for assurance. This weekend we are going to High Desert Round up and i'll be able to take the car out and give it a shake down.

Some of the things I know it needs tho:

Lighter Working Winch: the Warn that was on there burnt out at KOH (Causing the RK team a DNF) I put my MM on there for now just for JV prerunnin. Its much heavier so I know its gonna change the feel of the front end some.

Needs a front sway bar: Super loose in the front end on high speed turns. With Glen Helen Race in July being a short course race, we really need to tighten the car up. need to fab front end brackets for the antirock. You can see in the pictures posted below there isn't much room for the sway links.

When i say "we" I mean myself, my co-driver Brian Hartman, and the guys at the shop, Greeze, Larry, Ronnie form Redlands motor sports, Jason from Absolute Offroad. IT will be a team effort to make this car get to the starting lines.

The bypasses need more valving: I knew this form driving it at TDS and MOAB,

Rear frame needs to be notched more for articulation with the CO and Shocks. They come into contact with the frame when flexed out. For now there are very small limiting straps on it to keep it from damaging the shock bodies. We will have to build a support cross member for it since its going to get pretty thin once we re-notch it.

Tune the motor: its pushing 460ish hp but with what we are working with and with a solid tune Im pretty sure we can break the 500hp mark out of it.

Move the fuel cell back near the cab fire wall; also looking at a larger cell rather then 15gal looking at 20-23gal. this will help keep the spare tire down in the back and keep the weight lower.

Atlas 2 needs a support mount made: we make them here for all our builds. Crispy and Venom both had them, DLL and the new LJ at the shop we are building have them also. just a security feature for the drivetrain. Takes a lot of stress off the tailshaft of the trans too.

Reverse Valve body on the trans. I think thats self explanatory tho lol.

and a bunch of small minor things the car needs. Valve cover gasket, PSC ram is leaking, trans mount. new roof (I'll CNC Press Brake it at work so it fits the contour of the cage nice and tits), bumpers are smashed.

Unread 05-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Diverdown87
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver831 View Post
Atta Boy!!!

Needs a front sway bar: Super loose in the front end on high speed turns. With Glen Helen Race in July being a short course race, we really need to tighten the car up. need to fab front end brackets for the antirock. You can see in the pictures posted below there isn't much room for the sway links.
Looks to me like:

1. you are missing the bushings for the frame on the AR, so IMO that is going to cause slop in it.

2. You should be able to fab new arms that come out more at the dogleg and are a bit longer (My AR has more than 3 adjustment holes ), they didn't use a rear AR on the front did they?

3. You can also make new links if needed.

Looking forward to seeing more and some video from yout trial run coming up.

My idea of help from the man above is a sniper on the roof.
Diverdown87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
aw12345
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks to me like:

1. you are missing the bushings for the frame on the AR, so IMO that is going to cause slop in it.

2. You should be able to fab new arms that come out more at the dogleg and are a bit longer (My AR has more than 3 adjustment holes ), they didn't use a rear AR on the front did they?

He did just a quick test fit to see what needs to go where
Unread 05-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looks to me like:

I have the bushing for the frame, just no spot to mount onto the axle. there is a lot going on down there.

I was able to take it out this weekend for HDR and see exactly what it was all about. nothing real bad went wrong with the car. temperatures ran good, motors strong, and crawled like a champ on the waterfalls.

There is a poping sound in the front end That needs assessed. I seen that the outer shafts have been contacting the housing when I previously picked it up Im assuming thats the sound when i turn left or right is that shifting the 3/8" back and forth.

The throw of the steering needs to be assessed, the turning radius is about as good as a u-turn in a school bus. The ram has more to give, in both directions, but the stops don't allow it. Just needs to be assessed. wether its another larger ram and adjusting the stops or changing the throw of the pitman arm to gain radius.

The fans were sent to "constant" not to the temp sensors. Those will be changed, and then another look at the temps while runing through the desert.

The Driver valve cover is leaking, that needs to be addressed. Pass side looks clean and no leak.

working on modeling the LJ in Solidworks to help define the suspension points, drive train, stress, full articulation, and frame constraints I am currently workin with. the rear frame does need to be renotched to allow full droop and articulation.

Drove the car without the front swaybar but didn't feel loose. wasn't doing fast tight turns either, but wasn't like driving a canoe.

The shocks need tuning. bad. bottoming out in the small sections just wasn't cutting it. the shocks and car have the potential it just needs some fine tuning and miles on the car with some seat time.

This weekend we are hoping to take it to the Hammers for a better run and see now it preforms with some minor adjustments we cna make before the weekend. also I'll be putting the 37's back on it to get a better ideal on ground clearance and "true" preruning. the 40's are great for crawling and trail rides, but i can't race on them

also forgot to say goodbye to this gem this weekend. she is now gone for good from CA and headed back to FL to her new home!

Unread 05-26-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
Driver831
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Had a few different styles of Antirocks in the Race shop at work so I figured id see what i can come up with for a fitment.

Think I Found a winner. need to mock up and articulate. And our band saw is broken FML

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.