'rock crawling go-cart' or something - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 'rock crawling go-cart' or something

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 04-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #106
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just got the call that some large tires are in my garage. Unfortunately I'll be on campus all day. This is torture.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #107
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

updates??????

indyORV
treadlightly
jackbauersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #108
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just talked to him, he didn't have time to get the tires mounted today and apparently he broke bolts in the rear swaybar and in the yoke. So he will have to deal with getting those out tomorrow and go get the tires mounted. Man those stupid little hang ups are so frustrating when youre so close to the end of a build!
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #109
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dave's right...tonight sucked balls. While installing my driveshaft, I broke one of the small nuts off INSIDE of the yoke. Since I was getting ready to head over to my buddy Brian's to weld on the RK upper control arm frame mount supports, I couldn't let that stop me...so I drove over there in front wheel drive--on Dave's ^^ 27" stock tires--with 4.88s. Needless to say, first gear feels like 4 low. So, we spent all this time getting the nut out and not a quick weld job. The jeep will stay parked there for tonight and I'll mess with it tomorrow. I'll be going to get the tires mounted and balanced tomorrow morning and go to pick up a tap in order to clean out the rear sway bar nuts and yoke threads. With that done, everything will be ready to go. I still have to drop the gas tank and drill out a couple new holes to reinforce the bumper, so hopefully I can move fast tomorrow.
Unread 04-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #110
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i have an extra set of rear frame tie ins for the bumper. if you want they are yours.

indyORV
treadlightly
jackbauersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #111
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So I just got a call from him, he's at the tire shop getting the tires mounted, and was informed by the shop that 2 of the tires are 35x12.5r18's, and the other 3 are what he ordered, 35x12.5r15's.

Project: Silverback Ash to ash, dust to dust... Skin to bone, steel to rust... You will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Cleanly done bob jobs are so cool.
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #112
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

More updates, the correct tires are being shipped from a Discount Tire in Minnesota to Noblesville. DONT GIVE UP HOPE CONNOR! YOU ARE SO CLOSE!
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #113
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

can't go wheelin tomorrow though....bummer

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #114
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for filling in the blanks mike....so yeah, I get to discount and while we are unloading the tires, the manager says "this one is for an 18 inch wheel, and so is this one." I say, "WHAT??". So we called around for about 20 minutes before he finally got ahold of a discount in Minnesota with 4 of them....I'm getting two. I have yet to hear from Casanova but he owes me some cash and free Fedex shipping tags.
Unread 04-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #115
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, Casanova will take care of things. He is sending fedex to pick up the tires and replenishing my credit card with the price of the two tires.
Unread 04-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #116
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thats good bro, you'll be missed tomorrow

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #117
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Impede, I spoke to some "sources" .... Needless to say I can't get my hands on ANY J-arm JJ's. I has failed. Currie has stopped production.

Glad your almost done with the build though bro.
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #118
bandit455
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
Impede, I spoke to some "sources" .... Needless to say I can't get my hands on ANY J-arm JJ's. I has failed. Currie has stopped production.

then just go with the regular arms like imped and the others do!
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #119
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post

Just go with the regular arms man...after getting about 10 minutes behind the wheel today, they rock.

SUMMARY OF TODAY: Today went both very well and bad. After the tire ordeal, which is all taken care of, I got the garage all cleaned out and powerwashed. I bought a tap and cleaned out the yoke and rear sway bar nut threads...worked like a charm. Bolts threaded right in without drama. Got everything tightened up, got the RK frame supports welded in (thanks Brian, you rock man), and took her for a drive. Here comes the bad news--I got the worst case of vibes I could have ever expected. I knew my pinion angle wasn't ideal but it's REALLY not ideal...and in case you're wondering what the pinion angle on a 2.5" lift, tummy tuck, SYE, and pig D44 is, mine is about 30 degrees!!! Very steep and the D44 forces me to use a short driveshaft (16 3/16"). My uppers are maxed out and I'm not willing to shorten the lowers anymore. I want wheelbase and I want this thing done right. So, after analyzing the problem, the only solution Brian and I could come up with is to cut off the truss and re-weld it at the opposite of the pinion angle so that when the axle yoke is pointing at the output shaft, the truss is then sitting square to the horizontal. This will allow plenty of adjustment in the uppers and allow me to run an adequate wheelbase. This really bummed me out but after thinking about it, there is no way I CAN'T do this...so tomorrow I will plug in the Ipod and earplugs and go to town for the 3ish hour journey to free up the truss. I'm wanting to get it welded back on Saturday or Sunday and be ready to go by the time the other two tires show up on Monday or Tuesday. I really hope this is the last bump in the road for this build. I've never been so physically and mentally exhaused....and I miss driving the jeep and wheeling more than words can express. Anyway, during my short vibe-filled drive (smoothed out at 50ish mph), this thing was a CHAMP. The ride is nothing short of amazing--quiet, no clunking or noise from the johnny joints, smooth and VERY tight....it feels like a European sports sedan. The suspension reacts to changes very quickly because of the no-slack design of the control arms. Minimal body roll even when turning hard....and according to Brian, the antisquat is enough that the rear end doesn't squat on acceleration but rather, it lifts a bit. Not sure how I feel about that but I'll give it a try. And with 4.88s and 27s, it's a peppy little beast. Even when going over the train tracks, over the curb into my driveway, and taking turns, I heard no metal to metal contact or sound of any kind....SUPER TIGHT. I'm very impressed. So, this really motivates me to get everything done right, including the rear axle. Wish me luck fellas, I have a long weekend ahead of me.
Unread 04-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #120
winter117a
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I shall drink to your success!

(No really, I am. I'm drinking a Sprite right now and just said "I wish Imped luck on his build this weekend!" while at work. I'm awesome. )
winter117a is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.