Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
2M views 7K replies 423 participants last post by  Imped 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright guys, I figured I should start a build thread since it's the cool thing to do, and I've got some pretty cool stuff boiling up. I'll just post some pics for now and get posting on the progress as it....progresses.

First day I got it....20 degrees, top down, doors off. Still the best day of my life.

New meats. Bye bye chrome grill cover. Thank God.

RE BB, wheelin @ the Badlands...that's the famous "Pumpkinator" behind me.

Why they call me "Float Test"....

Hittin' up the wall that James (Pumpkinator) can't do....easily.

Chillin

RC 2.5" installed...not leveled, yet. Pics of that will be up later.

@ The Badlands again...this was the "Hurricane Ike" run

Me, Jeff, and Mike(Gribbles)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hurrican Ike run

She likes gettin dirty

Interlake Run (amazing)

For those of you wondering how the RC 2.5 flexes

PLANS:
Rubicon Dana 44 rear w/locker
Superior shafts
HP Dana 30
4.88s
35" BFG KM2s
JB Conversions SYE w/ CV shaft
Rock Krawler 4 link rear conversion
Currie double-Johnny joint adjustable control arms
Rokmen Tummy tuck, gas tank skid, engine skid, steering box skid
JKS 1.25" BL and MML
Some fender trimming
Other little surprises....

Most of this stuff has already been ordered or is already sitting at my house. I'll take pics as things arrive. Work will begin soon, with most being done over my spring break, starting March 13th. Plenty of other little things have been done since I got the Jeep. All can be seen in my profile.

#3 ·
Hittin' up the wall that James (Pumpkinator) can't do....easily.
I could do that wall in my sleep, when I had more than 20% tread on my steet tires with stock suspension, and when it's dry outside. F U man. F U in the A with a D.

I love that you call your Jeep Float Test. When I originally said that, i never thought it would stick. Hopefully you guys have some stuff to work on when I get home. You'll make me feel bad for having everyone's help, and not being there to help you guys. Course, I'll only feel bad until I'm climbing over a mountain and laughing because you guys used to make fun of my stockness. And you will be the ones not keeping up.

Keep up the good work bro. I'm looking forward to getting home and getting back at it with you guys.

#7 ·
I noticed in the pic on your driveway you have the TC drop on. Was it necessary?

Did you have to relocate the track bars?

Reason I ask is, I'm looking for a similar stance that your rig has. 31" and the 2.5" RC lift.

How's the ride?

I really like your vehicle. Not too much, not too little, just right.

Well done.

JT

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply imped4now. There's too much dicussion in the RC thread to keep me reading. Thought I would get right to the point, hence asking you directly.

My Procomp shocks are on their way out so I'm starting to do some searching on different setups.

I really like the stance yours has. I'll be working with a similar platform.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/lh/photo/whB3lpjkSyX--IGe8cHhXg?feat=directlink

Can you or anyone kindly describe driveline vibrations? I hear/read all about them but with no real description of what they are. I understand the concept, but "feel"?

Thanks,

JT

#13 ·
it is a vibration you cannot mistake. In most situations you will only feel it in certain rpms or speed, it is bad for the drivesafts and makes for an unpleasant drive, that said, I have a slight vibration around 48-52 mph due to this, but will be taken care of soon. Some times it is very slight, other times much worse, every jeep is different

#15 ·
Parts that are in my posession:

Superior D44 shaft kit
RK 4 Link and truss
JBC SYE

The Rokmen stuff (tummy tuck, steering skid, BL, MML) is on its way and the Currie arms will be ordered next week. Then it's time to pick up the HP30 and get working on the axles. Current pics of the jeep and parts to come, but I gotta leave for Chicago! If anyone is from the area and knows of some good bars (cheap) that would be awesome.

Imped out.

#17 ·
Totally forgot to ask yesterday...

In the 7th pic of the first post. It's the RC 2.5" lift, is that with or without the body lift you make mention of? Flexes really good it seems, any rubbing? Extended bumpstops?

That's all for now. That pic had pretty much sold me on what I would like to do with my platform and 31s.

JT

#18 ·
All I have now is the RC 2.5" with 31s, along with JKS sway bar links and track bars front and rear. I've added 1" up front to level it out, but that crazy flex picture is without them, at Interlake, no rubbing, enough bumpstop JUST to prevent rubbing (1" if I remember correctly). Those springs are nuts....slightly softer than your normal jeep spring, but long. It's like a slinky. I'm not running a BL yet, but will install the 1.25" JKS for the 35s. I have 7" between the edge of the fender flare and edge of the tire now. With 35s, I'll have 5" between them, so I'll add the BL in order to prevent rubbing. I'll also be trimming the edges of the fenders off by 1.75". With tires, I plan on jacking one end up to see if I can make the tire rub...If it does, then I'll add some bump stop. I'm planning on keeping the jeep nice and low with lots of diff and belly clearance. I'm very confident that it will work incredibly well. Up travel will be kept, ideally, at 4", since really, that's all that's needed. Down travel and clearance are more important to me, and the 2.2 shocks provided with the kit have some serious travel and built in bumpstops, allowing them to "bottom out" with no harm done. Wonderful shocks.

#19 ·
UPDATE: Things are moving along quite nicely. All of the big stuff is here, except the Currie arms and HP D30. I still need to go pull the HP D30 out of an XJ at a junkyard, so once I do, both axles will go to the sand blaster. After that, they will go the Sunfire Offroad for some 4.88s. Then it's truss welding time. The JKS BL and MML are on because I had some time last weekend and decided to get it done. It's in its goofy stage right now, with about 4" of lift (2.5" + 1" spacers up front, 2.5" in the rear, 1.25" BL) on 31s. Wheels were ordered--just 5 Cragar soft 8s--from summitracing.com for $211 shipped! Pictures will come when I really get working.

PS--If anyone is interested in the stock side steps, track bar, steering, etc., just PM me. I would be glad to sell any of it. And, if you want to call dibs on some very little-worn 31x10.50x15 BFG M/Ts, PM me. I would be glad to make someone a deal. And they are still at 90%. Good day!

#21 ·
UPDATE: Work has begun. The Jeep will be parked until the job is complete. I'll be driving my dad's Ford Ranger until things are finished. Next on the list is finally pulling a HP D30, getting the axles sandblasted by a local guy with GREAT prices, and then hauling them down to Sunfire Offroad for some 4.88 gears. The Currie arms were ordered today and the tires will be ordered after gearing. I can't wait to be done with this!

PS--tires and wheels were sold. I picked up my friend Dave's (dmcastino) stock tires just so the jeep could be sitting on rubber....needless to say, it's a great look.

The Cragar soft 8's. Simple, cheap, look good.

The quadratec floor mats...just in case anyone was wondering. :thumbsup:

The powedercoating is already coming off of the Smittybilt tire carrier/bumper (my only complaint...doesn't help that I banged it on some rocks quite hard at Interlake) so I'm going to have it sandblasted then will prime/paint it. Should look very good. Overall a very functional, tough bumper for a great price....and it looks really good, too.

ROKMEN. Nuff said.

27" tires on 2.5"/1.25" BL....and yes, those are 1" spacers up front. :thumbdown:

The Rubi 44.

The warzone.

The closet....Superior & JB conversions & Rock Krawler, OH MY!!

#3,648 ·
UPDATE: Work has begun. The Jeep will be parked until the job is complete. I'll be driving my dad's Ford Ranger until things are finished. Next on the list is finally pulling a HP D30, getting the axles sandblasted by a local guy with GREAT prices, and then hauling them down to Sunfire Offroad for some 4.88 gears. The Currie arms were ordered today and the tires will be ordered after gearing. I can't wait to be done with this!
I lol'd

back to page 2 :pout: quit posting for a week or two, so I can catch up. I'm excited to find out whether it floats or not

#23 ·
I still love the fact that he calls his jeep float test.

I've decided to name Jerry's jeep El Penguino. I haven't told him yet.

Keep up the work on that build Connor, let me know how you like that Rokmen TT.

#30 ·
"Excuse me ma'am i need to check the undercarriage"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.