Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
2M views 7K replies 423 participants last post by  Imped 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright guys, I figured I should start a build thread since it's the cool thing to do, and I've got some pretty cool stuff boiling up. I'll just post some pics for now and get posting on the progress as it....progresses.

First day I got it....20 degrees, top down, doors off. Still the best day of my life.

New meats. Bye bye chrome grill cover. Thank God.

RE BB, wheelin @ the Badlands...that's the famous "Pumpkinator" behind me.

Why they call me "Float Test"....

Hittin' up the wall that James (Pumpkinator) can't do....easily.

Chillin

RC 2.5" installed...not leveled, yet. Pics of that will be up later.

@ The Badlands again...this was the "Hurricane Ike" run

Me, Jeff, and Mike(Gribbles)

See less See more
#1,444 ·
Front shock mounts are extended, 12" Bilsteins are in, Currie track bar going on tonight, put the drivers side JJ in the front housing last night. Still need to do the passenger side JJ tower.

The shocks are the perfect length. I set the up for 6/6 and can JUST unseat the coil at full droop with these things. I've got some YJ front brake lines I need to install to take full advantage of the droop. Savvy brake pads may get installed and broken in tonight as well. They've been on the shelf for close to a month.

#1,445 ·
Front shock mounts are extended, 12" Bilsteins are in, Currie track bar going on tonight, put the drivers side JJ in the front housing last night. Still need to do the passenger side JJ tower.

The shocks are the perfect length. I set the up for 6/6 and can JUST unseat the coil at full droop with these things. I've got some YJ front brake lines I need to install to take full advantage of the droop. Savvy brake pads may get installed and broken in tonight as well. They've been on the shelf for close to a month.
I read it once then again I think you double posted posted it. Lol

#1,448 ·
Haven't put them on yet. YJ front brake lines are 3" longer than ours. It's a very cheap way to extend the lines. I'll post pictures when I'm done. I just drilled out a broken steering box bolt (total idiot screwup on my part) and am so happy that I just want to sit down, watch football, and drink a beer (Highlife of course).

#1,449 ·
I lost all track of time... but what a great read from start till now. :2thumbsup: awesome build :cheers2:

#1,453 ·
I'll probably hit up "the local spot" (Beaver) this weekend.

I've almost knocked out my "to do before winter" list. That feels good.
Thats great!

She might get a little sore you running around there with those MTRs.

I am going to check out this hot little creek run Saturday if I get a new shock.

#1,464 ·
Yea, I've been away for far too long. I peeked back in and realized a bunch of retarded know-it-alls are ruining it for everyone else.

So what else is new Connor?

#1,467 ·
I have heard so many things changing for the worse in TJ tech. I haven't really been in there in 4 months. Funny how that is right about the time that things started changing :rtft:

JK.... SO..... Imped, you said you feel good because you accomplished a lot that you wanted done before winter. What else is there?

#1,468 ·
If you guys feel this way than why not try and do something about it? I'm not saying spend allot of time or be a unofficial mod, just try and post something insightful/helpful every-time you log on.

Imped, I'm still loving the build. How are you liking the Bilsteins? Did I miss anything about you extending the front shock mounts?

#1,469 ·
Just so I don't have to read the ENTIRE thread...

What are you running for a lift and what are the tire sizes???

#1,475 ·
I don't know about the others, but I sadly no longer have time for the forum. I miss the TJoTM contests sometimes. I just don't get to spend the time I used to on the forum and only keep up with threads that I am already subscribed to for the most part.

#1,478 ·
Looking good!

#1,484 ·
Where is a good place to get blistiens for a good deal.

For your RK 4-link what joints do you have on the frame side of the arms? did you replace the ones that came with it?
AJ-USA and Amazon have good prices on Bilsteins. Just google search the part number of the shock you want to go with and check out the shopping header. I still run the stock RK rubber bushings on the frame end. You need to run a rubber or poly bushing on that end to support the doglegged arm.

#1,486 ·
Rear--BE5-6248-H5
15.91" collapsed/25.93" extended for a total of 10.17" of travel.
255/70 valving

Front--BE5-6249-H5
17.91" collapsed/29.70" extended for a total of 11.94".
255/70 valving

There's no reason for more than a 12" shock on short arms, and that's for a short arm setup like mine that can flex without binding. I could have ran 12's in the rear but decided not to for several reasons. I'm running 5 up/5 down in the rear and 6 up/6 down in the front. Up travel @ the bump stop is 4.5" in the rear and 5.75" up front.

#1,487 ·
Ok... I really dont want to read through your entire build.... again.... lol. So I was wondering if you have outboarded your rear shocks? Also, what all is needed to run 12" shocks on 2.5" springs? I want more travel but I really dont want to raise it anymore. Thanks for the help.

P.S.- Im still waiting to trade..... Ill take yours of your hands anytime. lol

#1,489 ·
Geez guys, can I get ANYTHING else for you? :rofl:

Yes, they're outboarded. I run 10" shocks in the rear and 12" shocks up front. You can go up a bit more and run 12" shocks in the rear no problem. You need a pair of Ford shock towers, do something for the lower mounts (check out poly perf), and the shocks. It's not quick and easy but it shouldn't take you more than an afternoon. Might as well extend the fronts while you're at it. I'll post some current pictures showing the shock setup in the next couple days.

About the center mount--I could get you the dimensions but that doesn't mean they will work for you. The critical dimension to ensure the skid fits is the frame nutsert holes relationship to the tranny mount slots. For the center mount, just make it sit as low as possible. I'll pull it off and get you some pictures. Get the track bar on yet?

#1,498 ·
Yes, they're outboarded. I run 10" shocks in the rear and 12" shocks up front. You can go up a bit more and run 12" shocks in the rear no problem. You need a pair of Ford shock towers, do something for the lower mounts (check out poly perf), and the shocks. It's not quick and easy but it shouldn't take you more than an afternoon. Might as well extend the fronts while you're at it. I'll post some current pictures showing the shock setup in the next couple days.
Readings overrated, I wanna look at all the purdy pictures.:rofl:
No, but seriously, thanks for the help:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.