'rock crawling go-cart' or something - Page 366 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 'rock crawling go-cart' or something

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #5476
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Had my genright highlines out the first time this weekend. Tapped the flare on a rock. Nothing major by any means. I can now fit my pinky between the fender and rocker guard where before the gap was 1/16" or so. Disappointed...

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #5477
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well....maybe not then.

Aluminum being used in that application appears to be sacrificial to save the tub. But if they sacrifice themselves well before tub damage even enters the equation then maybe I'll rethink that.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #5478
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you run flare less you may be ok. No chance of passing inspection here in PA though. In fact so far nobody will pass it with 4" flares.
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #5479
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

LOL.....of course I'd run flareless.
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #5480
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is always a fiberglass hood option too. I cant remember the exact #s (they are in my build somewhere) but I think I saved about 10lbs per fenders side and ~20 lbs for the stock hood over my replacement hood. So if I removed about 30~40 lbs, you could add an engine cage or something more substantial out of dom tubing. Using 1 3/4" dom with 1/8 walls that weights about 2 lbs per foot, stay under 20 ft and you are at about stock weight on the front end with just as strong a set up as tube fenders with under the weight of aftermarket tube fenders. Plus, it is kind of stealth/stock which I like.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #5481
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
LOL.....of course I'd run flareless.
Yeah I know. I was just saying that's not an option for me so I guess I'll cross my fingers every time out. Without flares I'd think anyone will be ok with Al.
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #5482
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
There is always a fiberglass hood option too. I cant remember the exact #s (they are in my build somewhere) but I think I saved about 10lbs per fenders side and ~20 lbs for the stock hood over my replacement hood. So if I removed about 30~40 lbs, you could add an engine cage or something more substantial out of dom tubing. Using 1 3/4" dom with 1/8 walls that weights about 2 lbs per foot, stay under 20 ft and you are at about stock weight on the front end with just as strong a set up as tube fenders with under the weight of aftermarket tube fenders. Plus, it is kind of stealth/stock which I like.
Making an engine cage would negate the weight savings. Front fender out of a singe steel tube clad with aluminum skin isn't a terribly bad idea and easy to repair when mangled
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #5483
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Making an engine cage would negate the weight savings. Front fender out of a singe steel tube clad with aluminum skin isn't a terribly bad idea and easy to repair when mangled
That was my point (negate weight savings).... but I was comparing it to the stock fenders and hood which will weigh less than an aftermarket tube fender setup and stock modified hood.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #5484
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
That was my point (negate weight savings).... but I was comparing it to the stock fenders and hood which will weigh less than an aftermarket tube fender setup and stock modified hood.
Dunno about home made tube fenders weighing more than the stock fenders, mine are pretty light, 2 pieces of 1.5" tubing clad with aluminum skin. Still pretty strong since they did some rock rubbing and are no worse for wear
Unread 10-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #5485
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of cage will you build? Keeping stock B and C?
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #5486
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If your going to wheel hard. Id shy away from AL fenders. My passenger flair is F*****. And I built it out of 1.5 x 0.188 6061 tube. But then again I don't have a single straight AL panel anymore either
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #5487
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksilovich View Post
If your going to wheel hard. Id shy away from AL fenders. My passenger flair is F*****. And I built it out of 1.5 x 0.188 6061 tube. But then again I don't have a single straight AL panel anymore either
Point being steel tube is relatively light, strong and cheap.
Weld some tabs on it and bolt or rivet aluminum panels and you have a light easily repairable tube fender that gives the clearance you want
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #5488
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not too worried about the hood and fenders right now. When I'm bored with nothing else to do, maybe I'll change it up.

On another note, I've been going through and really cleaning this thing up recently--cutting what I didn't like off the cage, cleaning up the fuel cell plumbing, adjusting the brake booster pushrod to take all of the slack out of the pedal, sealing up the soft top seams, etc. Adding to that, I've always had an intermittent dash squeak and it's driven me nuts for a long time. I finally decided to get down to business today and I found the source--apparently, the factory decided not to put nuts on 2 of the 4 upper dash retention studs. If you pull the defrost vent strip off you'll see M6 x 1.0 studs across the width of the tub that secure the main dash structure. The two outer studs had nuts but they were loose and the two inner studs were nutless. I picked up some M6 x 1.0 nylock nuts and some washers and torqued it all down. Tight, movement and squeak free dash.

Happy day.
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #5489
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I'm not too worried about the hood and fenders right now. When I'm bored with nothing else to do, maybe I'll change it up.

On another note, I've been going through and really cleaning this thing up recently--cutting what I didn't like off the cage, cleaning up the fuel cell plumbing, adjusting the brake booster pushrod to take all of the slack out of the pedal, sealing up the soft top seams, etc. Adding to that, I've always had an intermittent dash squeak and it's driven me nuts for a long time. I finally decided to get down to business today and I found the source--apparently, the factory decided not to put nuts on 2 of the 4 upper dash retention studs. If you pull the defrost vent strip off you'll see M6 x 1.0 studs across the width of the tub that secure the main dash structure. The two outer studs had nuts but they were loose and the two inner studs were nutless. I picked up some M6 x 1.0 nylock nuts and some washers and torqued it all down. Tight, movement and squeak free dash.

Happy day.
Had the same problem a while back could hear it over all the other racket same problem. Found it when I ripped a ton of wiring out from under the dash
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #5490
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

Happy day.
Did your jeep have an aftermarket head unit when you bought it? The center studs also secure the anti-theft bracket for the stock radio. Someone may have removed the anti-theft bracket and failed to re-install the nuts.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 link , back half , bad cell pic's , batman , custom , garage queen , hendrix custom hood , indyorv , killer sa 4 link , ocd , pimpest jeep ever on 35s , rokmen hi lines , suspension calculator , the chit chat thread , the dark knight , tits , titties dawg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.