'rock crawling go-cart' or something - Page 358 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 'rock crawling go-cart' or something

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #5356
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
All arms are 1.5" solid 7075 aluminum hex bar. MC will be soon building RH/LH threaded aluminum arms out of the same material for TJ's but they'd also like to get into the custom-length business. They're still trying to determine if the material will hold up in LCA applications at lengths greater than factory TJ arms. Since my arms are a few inches over JK length, I figured I'll give them a shot to see if I can bend them. They're a little smallish for lowers so we'll see if I can make them last. If they don't hold up then I'll go another route for the lowers and keep the uppers.
My Savvy lower front arms are 1.5", stock length, & my passenger side is bent a little. Happened shortly after I put them on. I'm guessing you'll find they're way to thin, especially being longer than stock.

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #5357
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My guess is it's just a matter of time before I bend a lower link......so when I get there, at least I'll know I can bend them. Then I'll get some built from 2.5" bar.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #5358
TanMan99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
All arms are 1.5" solid 7075 aluminum hex bar. MC will be soon building RH/LH threaded aluminum arms out of the same material for TJ's but they'd also like to get into the custom-length business. They're still trying to determine if the material will hold up in LCA applications at lengths greater than factory TJ arms. Since my arms are a few inches over JK length, I figured I'll give them a shot to see if I can bend them. They're a little smallish for lowers so we'll see if I can make them last. If they don't hold up then I'll go another route for the lowers and keep the uppers.
Thanks for that reply! It will be awhile before I am ready to do any suspension work so hopefully enough R&D will show what works and what does not.
TanMan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #5359
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno6102 View Post
My Savvy lower front arms are 1.5", stock length, & my passenger side is bent a little. Happened shortly after I put them on. I'm guessing you'll find they're way to thin, especially being longer than stock.
The hex shape should give it more rigidity than the round savvy arms...but you never really know whats gonna hold up after repeated beatings on rocks.
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #5360
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Imped, you are running 10" travel Bilstein shocks on your rear outboarded setup with a 2.5" lift (My lift setup)on 35" tires(?). What is the model number/type of your rear shocks?
Sahara Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #5361
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
The hex shape should give it more rigidity than the round savvy arms...but you never really know whats gonna hold up after repeated beatings on rocks.
Yes, I believe the hex bar will contribute to a higher yield point than round. How much is up for debate. Regardless, I'm expecting to bend the lowers so it's not gonna be an issue if it happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara Surfer View Post
Imped, you are running 10" travel Bilstein shocks on your rear outboarded setup with a 2.5" lift (My lift setup)on 35" tires(?). What is the model number/type of your rear shocks?
No, 11" travel on a rear frame that's not factory. The mounts are frenched into it.

"Lift height" is somewhere in the 2" range over stock.

37" tires.
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #5362
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
I'm expecting to bend the lowers so it's not gonna be an issue if it happens..
For someone that preaches, do it right the first time, you really are taking a step backwards.

Please, write me a riddle to the reason of why you're running these arms?

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #5363
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01

For someone that preaches, do it right the first time, you really are taking a step backwards.

Because he uses custom parts and tries new things unlike half this board.. Trying parts is how good parts become proven or not..
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #5364
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have no problem bending 2" x 1/4" wall DOM on my lowers.
Seems to me the hard aluminum arms could do something worse then just bend. Might just want to carry atleast one spare if you feel like playing hard.
Just saying
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #5365
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
Seems to me the hard aluminum arms could do something worse then just bend. Might just want to carry atleast one spare if you feel like playing hard.
Just saying
Yeah because here in the South there is not a single Rockbouncer that is not running Aliminium arms.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #5366
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix

Yeah because here in the South there is not a single Rockbouncer that is not running Aliminium arms.
I bet none of those bouncers are running 1.5" lowers, probably more like 2.5-3.5" lol.

Doesn't matter though, Connor isn't driving an overweight jungle gym or killing hills, 1.5" might be a bit small for longer than stock arms, time will tell.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #5367
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post

This build thread wouldn't be 358 pages long if I stopped after the "first try."

That methodology applies to an entirely different demographic, one that happens to be the vast majority of the Jeep crowd that bolts up an aftermarket part.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I like to try different things myself, regardless of if the concept is 100% sound or not. How can I offer advice on what's right, wrong, good, bad or indifferent if I don't really know? I enjoy experimenting and trying new things, simple as that. I think it should already be obvious that I don't expect the lower links to hold up....but if they do, that's icing on the cake.

As per the usual, if you don't like how I go about things (and I'm well aware you don't) then don't post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Just saying
Thanks Art, it's already covered.

And as usual, your input is always appreciated.
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #5368
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500

I bet none of those bouncers are running 1.5" lowers, probably more like 2.5-3.5" lol.

Doesn't matter though, Connor isn't driving an overweight jungle gym or killing hills, 1.5" might be a bit small for longer than stock arms, time will tell.
I did not read the link size, my bad.

You can't tell me they don't look fun though. Put 600-1000 hp in a swing set and give me the wheel, I will put a smile on your face you can't wash off.
Hendrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #5369
Sahara Surfer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped

No, 11" travel on a rear frame that's not factory. The mounts are frenched into it.

"Lift height" is somewhere in the 2" range over stock.

37" tires.
Ok, at one point, didn't you run outboarded 10" travel Bilstein rear shocks with an old man emu lift? I seem to have read that in one of your older posts. Do you remember what model number the Bilstein shocks were?
Sahara Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #5370
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
I did not read the link size, my bad.

You can't tell me they don't look fun though. Put 600-1000 hp in a swing set and give me the wheel, I will put a smile on your face you can't wash off.
Would love to drive one of those tree bouncers up a hill at full throttle atleast once. Should be a blast ping ponging of trees and whatever else is in the way

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.