'rock crawling go-cart' or something - Page 351 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 'rock crawling go-cart' or something

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #5251
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that's an interesting location, could you just not drill a hole in the housing because of the truss?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #5252
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can, just drill a larger hole through the truss so you can enter it with a socket
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #5253
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Indy? Depending on the place and time, it's normally 3. Some go later, some close earlier if it's slow.
I think he meant Huntsville since we have an Embassy Suites downtown.

So I was thinking about how you moved the coil brackets around to sit 1.5" over stock with 3" coils and was wondering if you could elaborate on that. The idea really intrigues me if I ever want to move to 37's.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #5254
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Is there adequate air pressure at the fitting on the diffcover? Next because of the fitting location, the copper line didn't kink or got ground away?
Doesn't seem like the best location to me. Does it leak air/ the compressor keeps running?
After much deliberation, that was really the best location. Copper line is fine but the end may be a little kinked shut. It's open but the ID is a little crimped. I'll open it up and give that a shot.

Remember, that's a bigger ring gear inside a TJ 44 housing....not enough room to run the copper line above the ring gear. So, even if I would've drilled through the truss and then into housing, I couldn't have got the line to it anyway....at least I don't think so. It's not the most traditional location for the bulkhead fitting but it works fine and is out of harm's way for the most part. I'm not the first person to do it that way and it's less of a PITA than it probably looks.

BTW, no leaks anywhere, at least not that my ears can detect. The compressor stops a few seconds after the locker is switched on and after about a minute, it has to kick back on. So, that's indicative of a leak at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Yeah, that's an interesting location, could you just not drill a hole in the housing because of the truss?
The bigger problem was running the copper line between the ring gear and housing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
You can, just drill a larger hole through the truss so you can enter it with a socket
Addressed above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
So I was thinking about how you moved the coil brackets around to sit 1.5" over stock with 3" coils and was wondering if you could elaborate on that. The idea really intrigues me if I ever want to move to 37's.
I built a custom rear frame and mounted the coil 'cylinders' as close to the tub as I could. They are where they are. That allows me to run longer coils for any given height and, therefore, be able to use more shock travel while remaining lower.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #5255
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I built a custom rear frame and mounted the coil 'cylinders' as close to the tub as I could. They are where they are. That allows me to run longer coils for any given height and, therefore, be able to use more shock travel while remaining lower.
I knew the rear was custom and all but that answers my question. I was trying to think of how to do it with stock frame. I also should have specified I'm more interested in how the front was done.

Don't worry about it though. You answered my question and I'll go find some pictures.

edit: Here's some more broken Photobucket links. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...l#post14625091

-Jack
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #5256
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The front lower coil buckets are as low to the tube as I can get them. I also trimmed down the upper isolators by 1/2". Conveniently, the Jeep sits just slightly ***-high by about 3/8" across the length of the frame. Ride height is equivalent to about +1.5-2" and since I run longer coils than that (3") I can use 11" of travel. Both ends are darn near a perfect 50/50 split. Things are very, very close at full bump up front.

With a stock frame, you'll just want to section the area where you want them to sit and move them up. Before you go and hack on the stock frame, I'd make sure you're good and happy with where the axle is. Otherwise, don't bother until you've got the wheelbase you're happy with long-term.
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #5257
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The front lower coil buckets are as low to the tube as I can get them. I also trimmed down the upper isolators by 1/2". Conveniently, the Jeep sits just slightly ***-high by about 3/8" across the length of the frame. Ride height is equivalent to about +1.5-2" and since I run longer coils than that (3") I can use 11" of travel. Both ends are darn near a perfect 50/50 split. Things are very, very close at full bump up front.

With a stock frame, you'll just want to section the area where you want them to sit and move them up. Before you go and hack on the stock frame, I'd make sure you're good and happy with where the axle is. Otherwise, don't bother until you've got the wheelbase you're happy with long-term.
Was that a ninja edit?

Good to know. Really it's just a thought, as are most things of mine. I know you're familiar with how 55Willystruck cut and notched his frame to move the stock tank back and that's something I would do for a bit extra room. The wheelbase would probably wind up being around 95", if that, so no real wheelbase stretch.

I suppose it all matters on how the tire clears with my desired travel.

edit: I would also like to mention my Jeep sits exactly like yours in terms of frame and winshield. Except I'm on roughly 3.5" and 33's (32's )

-Jack
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #5258
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

Is the line kinked at all? You could pull it off at the diff end and see if its got pressure.
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #5259
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Diff is open, found the problem. Had to leave to go see some fireworks but I'll get it back together tomorrow.
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #5260
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet! Fix it Felix!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #5261
Danno6102
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Diff is open, found the problem. Had to leave to go see some fireworks but I'll get it back together tomorrow.
Seriously, just leave us hangin' like that? Glad you found it, but what was the problem man?

"Evolution through carnage, the Jeep will keep what it needs."
Danno6102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #5262
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a retard. Somewhere along the line, the copper hard line just barely started rubbing the ring gear and eventually it wore through. I didn't route it carefully enough. So, ARB has a new collar/line assembly shipping to me and I'll have it fixed in a couple hours once it arrives....and I'll make sure the line is routed a bit more smartly than it was.

When I saw that, I went full on furious on some cardboard boxes in my garage. If the neighbors across the street recorded the event, it would already have 1 million+ views on YouTube.
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #5263
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the copper hard line just barely started rubbing the ring gear and eventually it wore through. I didn't route it carefully enough. So, ARB has a new collar/line assembly shipping to me and I'll have it fixed in a couple hours once it arrives....
I had the exact same problem, it probably took two years for it to wear through. Did ARB warranty it?
REDLYNER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #5264
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

They sure did. They're sending the part at no cost. I've never had to use their customer service before but it was everything I've heard.
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #5265
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They sure did. They're sending the part at no cost. I've never had to use their customer service before but it was everything I've heard.
Totally agree....King runs a close 2nd.

Member of: IndyOrv
kellerumps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 link , back half , bad cell pic's , batman , custom , garage queen , hendrix custom hood , indyorv , killer sa 4 link , ocd , pimpest jeep ever on 35s , rokmen hi lines , suspension calculator , the chit chat thread , the dark knight , tits , titties dawg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.