'rock crawling go-cart' or something - Page 340 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 'rock crawling go-cart' or something

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #5086
JeepChick00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why not the 60/14 combo? Are you steering away from tons b/c of ground clearance loss and their weight?

JeepChick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #5087
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepChick00 View Post
Why not the 60/14 combo? Are you steering away from tons b/c of ground clearance loss and their weight?
Haven't you noticed that Connor likes to do things differently.
It works for him though, he knows what he is doing
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #5088
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My opinion, but anyone swapping tons and going any less than a 40" tire is wasting their time. Running 37's on tons gives you the clearance of 33's on 1/4 ton axles. JK axles are perfect for 37-38" tires. Good width, good strength, massive aftermarket, relativity lightweight and good ground clearance and affordable. I'm surprised more people don't run them

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #5089
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
My opinion, but anyone swapping tons and going any less than a 40" tire is wasting their time. Running 37's on tons gives you the clearance of 33's on 1/4 ton axles. JK axles are perfect for 37-38" tires. Good width, good strength, massive aftermarket, relativity lightweight and good ground clearance and affordable. I'm surprised more people don't run them
Well here is a moral to that story, when you feel you need 37" tires, you most likely end up going bigger. It pays to look ahead, saves time and monet now
My wheelin bud stretched his to 103" wheelbase, saw mine climb better stretched it to 107". Mine still climbed better, so guess what happened it now has a 111" wheelbase. I just started with 111" wheelbase and been happy.
Did the same with the axles D60 and 14 bolt, works well with 37" tires, 37" sticky tires, 39" tires and 40" sticky tires. All the money he spend on stretching his rig I spend on tires lol. But my rig has stayed the same and has worked very well from day one. Made a few small alteration, but other than that it has just been wheeled hard for the last 3 years without any serious breakage. three years of Hammers wheelin and all the damage has been 1 broken control arm bolt and a busted Currie JJ ball.
Pays to look ahead when building your dream Jeep
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #5090
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You have to build your dream Jeep for your area though. It's very easy to overbuild a Jeep and make it completely boring for the areas you spend the majority of you time wheeling. You can get away pretty quickly from something that is a great DD to something that gets pulled on a trailer everywhere.

Sometimes there is a difference between what you think you want, and what is that perfect Jeep for you and your needs.

I'm on around Jeep number 10, so I'm starting to figure out what that is for me.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #5091
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You have to build your dream Jeep for your area though. It's very easy to overbuild a Jeep and make it completely boring for the areas you spend the majority of you time wheeling. You can get away pretty quickly from something that is a great DD to something that gets pulled on a trailer everywhere.

Sometimes there is a difference between what you think you want, and what is that perfect Jeep for you and your needs.

I'm on around Jeep number 10, so I'm starting to figure out what that is for me.
I knew what I wanted and what I wanted it for. What I envisioned is what I built from scratch and it has done everything I wanted it to do.
Still have my lil Jeep and enjoy driving it every day to work.
Come wheelin time, the big Jeep comes out every time, it's just so much more fun to drive, blowing through the desert and puttering over rocks.
On top of that it is a lot easier on my body,don't ache not anywhere near as bad at the end of the day of wheelin.
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #5092
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerup1998 View Post
Have you ever just thought about picking up a pair of D60s and building them? Relatively cheap compared to some of your other plans; proven reliability; readily available.....
It's not nearly as simple as "picking up some 60's." First off, if I were to ever put a 60 up front, it would be a Ford SD HP60 from a 99-04 or 05+. Awesome axles and if I ever decide to run 42's on this Jeep, there's a good chance that will happen. And as much as I would love 42's on this Jeep, I'm having trouble justifying anything over 37's, especially since I'm so happy with them. Secondly, I wouldn't put a 60 in the rear. That would either be a Sterling or FF14. Third, I'm looking to definitively put a stop to the building of this Jeep, at least in terms of the drivetrain and suspension. This gets me to that point much sooner than if big axles and big tires were in the plans. And I can tell you right now, the big axles would cost me more than these will, and not just the axles but the supporting modifications as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Damn boy you got a bad case of builders fever. Will be an awesome rig when you finally get it where you really want it though Connor.
Don't forget to have fun with your Jeep though. In the end that is what it's all about, having a good time with it, be it wheeling or building or both
What can I say, Art? I get tired of building but after a little time off, I've got the itch again. I'm having a great time with the Jeep right now....been driving it for two weeks straight, it's close to being wheelable, and it's in an overall good place right now. I should have a great summer/fall of wheeling and be ready to throw these axles under it late fall or early winter, just in time for next spring's wheeling season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepChick00 View Post
With 37's, definitely. This Jeep has always been about functionality, light weight and great clearance. I plan to keep it that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Haven't you noticed that Connor likes to do things differently.
It works for him though, he knows what he is doing
Thanks Art.
Quote:
Yep, these axles should be hella for stout once I'm done. Not too much, not too little. Just right.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #5093
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My opinion, but anyone swapping tons and going any less than a 40" tire is wasting their time. Running 37's on tons gives you the clearance of 33's on 1/4 ton axles.
One of the best comparisons I've heard, yet. Nicely done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Third, I'm looking to definitively put a stop to the building of this Jeep...
What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Quote:
...at least in terms of the drivetrain and suspension.
That's better.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #5094
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also,

I could use some factory rubber body mounts, mainly the steel sleeve portion. If anyone has any in good condition that they'd like to sell for a fair price, please let me know. I've got plenty of body mount parts I could trade as well--1" Daystar mounts, JKS 1.25" pucks, etc.

The sleeves are the metal pieces pictured here:
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #5095
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Connor, I understand where you are coming from and certainly not trying to challenge your plan. You've spent more time under your Jeep than i have in the driver's seat of mine! knowing you though, I see 40s+ in your not so distant future. As far as the axle combo, think that there are MANY ways to skin that cat. Any "ton" combo should be pretty bullet proof unless you plan on doing some stupid sh--.
A buddy of mine is having Scott Morris build him a KP 60 and shaved FF14 with chromos and ARBs to put under his stretched early Bronco. He's charging him $5500-6000 for everything. Money well spent in my mind.
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #5096
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you want bigger tires, build a buggy. I personally like driving my Jeep and the look of full body Jeeps on the roads. When I build more 37's is where it will end. No need to spend all kinds of money when you can build a buggy from scratch and at your own pace. I would rather drive my jeep and have little down time then spend another year building after a long build just recently. Look what Art is doing, he is build a buggy side project. At his pace too. That way you would risk you 10k jeep not being road friendly
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #5097
aw12345
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
If you want bigger tires, build a buggy. I personally like driving my Jeep and the look of full body Jeeps on the roads. When I build more 37's is where it will end. No need to spend all kinds of money when you can build a buggy from scratch and at your own pace. I would rather drive my jeep and have little down time then spend another year building after a long build just recently. Look what Art is doing, he is build a buggy side project. At his pace too. That way you would risk you 10k jeep not being road friendly
Not to rain on your parade, but I got 2 Jeeps and the one with the big boat anchors on it, is actually a better street driver, it's a ton of fun on bunny trails on 37's. Doesn't suffer from all the death wobble crap.
Don't knock the big axles till you actually tried them. 14 bolt cost me 200 bucks for the axle. 800 for the arb and 220 for gear and 80 bucks or so for the diff cover. That's all the money I spend on it. 79 D60 housing with new rotors and hubs cost me 1000, then gears 180. ARB 750, 35 spline chromos and U joints was about 550 or so. the outers 35 spline stubs cost me about 300.
200 bucks for warn hubs or yukon drive slugs take your pick. 70 bucks for a set of rebuild GM calipers another 70 or so for stock GM brake hoses and another 89 or so for a diff cover. So roughly 4500 bucks for 2 axles all done up for some serious abuse and very good street manners. Granted that was the biggest chunk of cash I layed out on my Jeep.
Do the math for 2 Dana 44's of any persuasion and see what you come up with. Here is another not so well know fact, the Dana 44 JK chromo axle shafts use the same spicer 760x U joints the TJ's do. So RCV's would be a good thing to put on your parts list for one of those.

The Dana 44 in my lil Jeep cost me roughly 2450 after a ARB, a few gear changes and Superior chromos.
The front 100 bucks for the HP D30 housing 750 for the ARB, about 600 for the Superior EVO shafts. 200 for the TNT truss and 80 for a diff cover 400 for a couple of different gear sets so a total or 2230
Grant total of 4480 so who says that tons are that much more expensive get the calculator out. That's with me doing the regears and all other work
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #5098
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also,

I could use some factory rubber body mounts, mainly the steel sleeve portion. If anyone has any in good condition that they'd like to sell for a fair price, please let me know. I've got plenty of body mount parts I could trade as well--1" Daystar mounts, JKS 1.25" pucks, etc.

The sleeves are the metal pieces pictured here:
I'm sure I have plenty of extras I don't need. I'll round 'em up tomorrow and let you know what all I've got.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #5099
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345
Not to rain on your parade, but I got 2 Jeeps and the one with the big boat anchors on it, is actually a better street driver, it's a ton of fun on bunny trails on 37's. Doesn't suffer from all the death wobble crap.
Don't knock the big axles till you actually tried them. 14 bolt cost me 200 bucks for the axle. 800 for the arb and 220 for gear and 80 bucks or so for the diff cover. That's all the money I spend on it. 79 D60 housing with new rotors and hubs cost me 1000, then gears 180. ARB 750, 35 spline chromos and U joints was about 550 or so. the outers 35 spline stubs cost me about 300.
200 bucks for warn hubs or yukon drive slugs take your pick. 70 bucks for a set of rebuild GM calipers another 70 or so for stock GM brake hoses and another 89 or so for a diff cover. So roughly 4500 bucks for 2 axles all done up for some serious abuse and very good street manners. Granted that was the biggest chunk of cash I layed out on my Jeep.
Do the math for 2 Dana 44's of any persuasion and see what you come up with. Here is another not so well know fact, the Dana 44 JK chromo axle shafts use the same spicer 760x U joints the TJ's do. So RCV's would be a good thing to put on your parts list for one of those.

The Dana 44 in my lil Jeep cost me roughly 2450 after a ARB, a few gear changes and Superior chromos.
The front 100 bucks for the HP D30 housing 750 for the ARB, about 600 for the Superior EVO shafts. 200 for the TNT truss and 80 for a diff cover 400 for a couple of different gear sets so a total or 2230
Grant total of 4480 so who says that tons are that much more expensive get the calculator out. That's with me doing the regears and all other work
Hit the head on the nail art. May as well build tons for 37s so you aren't stuck building again. I know alot of people with tons on 37s, and there **** straight works. You don't have to have 40s for tons by any means at all. And all in all I bet a set of tons ways 400 pounds more than a 8.8/waggy 44. And Im willing to bet they'd work better cause you can beat the dog shat out of them.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #5100
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
I'm sure I have plenty of extras I don't need. I'll round 'em up tomorrow and let you know what all I've got.
Thanks bud.

Guys, I'm set on this plan. The JK 44's are happening and that's that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.