'rock crawling go-cart' or something - Page 339 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 'rock crawling go-cart' or something

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #5071
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Shifting isn't the problem. I've verified it's the transmission but it's so minor and the thing has been loud for so long, I don't think it will ever die. I'm not gonna worry about it for a while.

So, there have been some changes in plans. I'm no longer going to be building a pair of 9's for this Jeep. The cost was going to be way too high for me to justify and it would've taken much longer than I care for. It's staying on 37's and will be getting some axles that more closely fit the bill. First, I'll be building a JK Rubicon 44 front axle. I'm getting the housing from Hendrix. It needs everything aside from the housing but I'd rather start fresh than cut off someone else's work. It needs a differential and the only one that will work aside from the OEM e-locker is ARB RD157, so that's what it will be getting. RD157 is only available in 35 spline so it will be getting 35 spline RCV's. I've already purchased the brakes--Centric rotors, Black Magic pads, and TRW calipers. Before doing anything, I'll be cutting the tube a few inches inboard of the C's so that I can rotate them 4-6*. Inner sleeves will aid in keeping the two halves aligned during assembly and will then be welded.

This axle will give me exactly what I need--more width, more strength, bigger brakes, a chance to build some very nice steering, and it fits the bill. It may seem expensive but from project to rolling, it will cost me less than half to build that axle with top-shelf parts than it would to build the 9". I'm getting some pretty good deals on many of the components and that really helps. I'll be able to run 4.5" backspacing and will still be 1" wider per side, which is perfect. I'll worry about the rear later but since it's stout and will only be 1" narrower per side, I'm not in a hurry to send it packing. I should have all parts for this axle by the end of summer and will need to build a drag link and tie rod. I'd like to keep downtime to less than 2 weeks during the process and I think it's very doable.

As for the rear Ruffstuff 9" housing that I've already bought, I will sell it for $800 to someone that's interested. It's got Ruffstuff's chromolly 14 bolt spindles welded on and would make a killer full float rear axle for some big tires. Otherwise, I have no problem using it as a wonderfully sexy paperweight/garage ornament.....or for a future project

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #5072
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

When I saw Hendrix list that axle for sale I about ***t myself and would have snatched it up but just shelled out all of the money to build my Rubi 44. I searched around trying to find a JK front 44 but no joy, well congrats that sounds like a solid plan. I hear you on building the 9's up, by the time I had the spidertrax housing, carrier and everything else added up it was hard to justify the expense.

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #5073
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think the switch is a smart move. F9's are beast, but the JK 44's can handle 37's pretty well for less cash. So you're keeping the rear for awhile then?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #5074
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The rear doesn't have to go immediately.....but I'd like to find a rear JK Rubi or non-Rubi 44 to start building soon so that I can take advantage of the 5.38 gears ASAP. Until they match, I obviously can't use 4wd or the 5.38's.
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #5075
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think this direction will be much more appealing to the masses following your thread. Not that it matters what we think, lol!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #5076
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
The rear doesn't have to go immediately.....but I'd like to find a rear JK Rubi or non-Rubi 44 to start building soon so that I can take advantage of the 5.38 gears ASAP. Until they match, I obviously can't use 4wd or the 5.38's.
I'm interested to see the wider stance after the swap. Those 37's already stick ou pretty far. Are you going to change around the suspension at all during the swap?

Unread 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #5077
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
I'm interested to see the wider stance after the swap. Those 37's already stick ou pretty far. Are you going to change around the suspension at all during the swap?
Remember, I've got wheels with 4.5" backspacing and 1.5" spacers, ultimately resulting in 3" of backspacing. It looks very wide because 1) it kind of is and 2) not having flares just accentuates it. When the JK axles are slung under, I will no longer need wheel spacers at all, will stick to 4.5" backspacing (will need 5x5 wheels) and will be 1" wider per corner. It won't look much wider but it will be noticeable.

As for the suspension, there will be a change or two, mainly minor stuff....no frame modifications. I'm going to dial in a bit more anti-dive in up front and will make a couple very small changes in the rear. I'll make sure to document it all.
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #5078
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Will you be keeping the Duroflex joints on the new setup?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #5079
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

Remember, I've got wheels with 4.5" backspacing and 1.5" spacers, ultimately resulting in 3" of backspacing. I'll make sure to document it all.
Gotcha. Looking forward to it.

Unread 05-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #5080
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Will you be keeping the Duroflex joints on the new setup?
Yes, that won't be changing.
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #5081
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to see which part of the thread shows the front frame side 3 link mounts. Any idea how far in it is?
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #5082
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj5 View Post
I'd like to see which part of the thread shows the front frame side 3 link mounts. Any idea how far in it is?
He'll have to re upload the pics. Sadly most of the pics in this thread are dead

Unread 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #5083
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No idea, but it would've been last summer or fall. Most of those should be fixed, I've been doing a lot of them here and there.
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #5084
boilerup1998

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Have you ever just thought about picking up a pair of D60s and building them? Relatively cheap compared to some of your other plans; proven reliability; readily available.....
boilerup1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #5085
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Damn boy you got a bad case of builders fever. Will be an awesome rig when you finally get it where you really want it though Connor.
Don't forget to have fun with your Jeep though. In the end that is what it's all about, having a good time with it, be it wheeling or building or both

Tags
4 link , back half , bad cell pic's , batman , custom , garage queen , hendrix custom hood , indyorv , killer sa 4 link , ocd , pimpest jeep ever on 35s , rokmen hi lines , suspension calculator , the chit chat thread , the dark knight , tits , titties dawg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.