'rock crawling go-cart' or something - Page 333 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 'rock crawling go-cart' or something

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #4981
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Planning to run the Hi-steer knuckles I have? They are nice
I'm definitely going to run high steer arms. I don't like the machining costs out there so I'll see what I can do about that. I'd love to run the Dodge BJ/UB knuckles but that locks me into smaller brakes. I've been researching my *** off and it looks like the best route is to just go with high steer arms and do a separate tab for the drag link like you did.

But if anyone knows how to run those Dodge knuckles with bigger dual piston calipers, I'm all ears. So far, I haven't found anyone that's done it.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #4982
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Let's see how 'cheap' I can build $$ axles.
This is a good plan; I'm in full support of it.

Quote:
But if anyone knows how to run those Dodge knuckles with bigger dual piston calipers, I'm all ears. So far, I haven't found anyone that's done it.
Ahh...you get to prototype something...me likey.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #4983
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You don't have the front axle yet just collecting parts, correct?.
[COLOR="Navy"]USN Hull #233[/COLOR]
[U]Check out my build![/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/teenagers-slow-but-steady-build-1347318/[/URL]
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #4984
jason m

Quote:

Could you just build your caliper brackets thats house the larger Ford duel piston calipers. Or check out the newer Corvette 4 pistons calipers, my friend just welded some brackets to his KP knuckles to hold those Vet brakes, came out nice.

Are you welding on the high steer arms or going to machine the holes to bolt them? Try to pick up the OEM hole so you can run it in duel sheer.

One quick question, you guys are using balljoint C's? I normally cut those Dodge axle's up for number one steel, but I guess now I will cut the C's off.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #4985
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
One quick question, you guys are using balljoint C's? I normally cut those Dodge axle's up for number one steel, but I guess now I will cut the C's off.

Jason.
Those are 99-04 Ford Balljoint outers (I'm pretty sure). Are the Dodge C's the same?
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #4986
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Those are 99-04 Ford Balljoint outers (I'm pretty sure). Are the Dodge C's the same?
Yep the BJ C's are the same up until the Super 60's or the 1550 U-joint style was used.
Not sure on the years of the swap over but ive swapped earlyer Ford BJ outers onto Dodge trucks to get the locking hubs onto that truck, or I could have re-drilled the spindles of the Ford onto the Dodge knuckle.

Jason.

Unread 03-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #4987
jason m

Oh while we are on the C topic, to get the inner tube thats left in the C its self make 4 cuts with a torch at 12-3-6-9 and the let it cool down and as long the OEM weld is cut past its root it will fall out once cooled and it had time to shrink.

KP C with the slug cut out.

Touch up any gouge marks or voids with your welder.

Jason.

Unread 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #4988
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for quoting a post from 09. So very relevant.
Say what

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #4989
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm definitely going to run high steer arms. I don't like the machining costs out there so I'll see what I can do about that. I'd love to run the Dodge BJ/UB knuckles but that locks me into smaller brakes. I've been researching my *** off and it looks like the best route is to just go with high steer arms and do a separate tab for the drag link like you did.

I'm not sure what Dodge setup you have, but on my 96 Dodge 2500, the "small" brakes have no problem stopping a much heavier than Jeep extended cab long bed pickup with larger tires, full of weight, pulling a trailer behind it. As an experiment I stopped my truck full of gear and my Jeep on a trailer behind it going down a hill without the trailer brakes on and it stopped no problem.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #4990
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbles View Post
just bump stop accordingly I love my set up, perfect for the trails I run
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber1 View Post
And what kind of trails do you run, and what's the down side of your setup if anything
lol, why hello 2009.

I run the EXACT same trails as Connor, and usually the exact same lines since our jeeps have been so similarly built up until now, which they aren't even that far off other than tire size and type of suspension (I have a wife, so I had to work with a smaller budget)

That was a long time ago. I'm assuming that was based on my lack of uptravel....now I'm a big big big fan of near equal amounts of up travel to down (6/6 in the rear and soon to be the same up front) The only thing that beats climbing some sick *** lines is going fast as hell to get to them

Sorry Connor.

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #4991
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are you running the stock antenna with the guardian panels? Any trouble removing or reinstalling the antenna wire?

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #4992
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Are you running the stock antenna with the guardian panels? Any trouble removing or reinstalling the antenna wire?
I was looking at these yesterday.

I was unsure how they would look with no flare up front. Would you take a couple close-ups if you don't mind.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #4993
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No, I'm running an invisible antenna that's mounted back in my glove box. The hole in the panel and tub is plugged and I put a Trail Rated badge over it. It's in the same location as stock, only on the passenger side instead of the driver. I always think it's funny when I see a highly modified TJ with the badge intact so I thought I'd play along, as well.

You can see it here

Unread 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #4994
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
No, I'm running an invisible antenna that's mounted back in my glove box. The hole in the panel and tub is plugged and I put a Trail Rated badge over it. It's in the same location as stock, only on the passenger side instead of the driver. I always think it's funny when I see a highly modified TJ with the badge intact so I thought I'd play along, as well.

You can see it here
image-2588594575.jpg  
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #4995
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Right? It provides that nice extra touch of subtle class.....like going to a black tie event without your watch, which one should simply not do.

Tags
4 link , back half , bad cell pic's , batman , custom , garage queen , hendrix custom hood , indyorv , killer sa 4 link , ocd , pimpest jeep ever on 35s , rokmen hi lines , suspension calculator , the chit chat thread , the dark knight , tits , titties dawg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.