'rock crawling go-cart' or something - Page 298 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 'rock crawling go-cart' or something

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #4456
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Easier than tearing the transfer case apart... Pull the front shaft and drive in 4wd, see if the noise changes.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #4457
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ View Post
off topic but had a question when looking at your custom rear frame. Did you completely remove the evap canister in the passenger side wheel well? Or is it just modified and tucked up in there.
The canister hasn't been there for a long time. It was bypassed. The remaining assembly is tucked under the tub behind the axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Easier than tearing the transfer case apart... Pull the front shaft and drive in 4wd, see if the noise changes.
I did that already a long time ago. If I remember right, there was no change but I should do it again just to refresh my memory. That completely removes the axle from being a possibility if that's the case. If it's the t-case input bearing or the trans output bearing it doesn't matter if I'm in 2 or 4wd, they're getting loaded either way. And I've got to pull my t-case anyway so it's not a big deal.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #4458
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nm, I misread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #4459
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

just read through a lot of this thread- the end result is awesome. I am moving in a similar direction with my Tj- nice work!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #4460
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had a whine like that. Turned out to be a loose pinon. Replaced the pinon bearings and all is good again.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #4461
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I had a whine like that. Turned out to be a loose pinon. Replaced the pinon bearings and all is good again.
Pinion is fine and as far as I can tell, so are the bearings. This whine has existed since before that 44 went in. I'm planning on pulling the rear shaft and going for a short spin tomorrow to remove the rear axle from the picture.
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #4462
jermeyg
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah more than likely its your input bearing on the transfer case. It's not that hard to change out. Just make sure and get the right size bearing and a good quality one!
jermeyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #4463
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The easy way to find out is the put the Jeep on jack stands and have someone put it in gear while you are underneath poking around (carefully) with a mechanic's stethoscope (or or a long screwdriver to your ear) to find where the noise is coming from. The drive shafts are going to transmit the sound all over the place, so where it sounds like it's coming from isn't necessarily where it is coming from. My bad rear pinion bearing sounded for sure like it was coming from the transmission.

Unread 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #4464
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermeyg View Post
Yeah more than likely its your input bearing on the transfer case. It's not that hard to change out. Just make sure and get the right size bearing and a good quality one!
I'm just gonna use my buddy's front case half for free. He upgraded to a 241 so he's got a nice, clean 231 just sitting there. That bearing is $80 alone.
Quote:
The easy way to find out is the put the Jeep on jack stands and have someone put it in gear while you are underneath poking around (carefully) with a mechanic's stethoscope (or or a long screwdriver to your ear) to find where the noise is coming from. The drive shafts are going to transmit the sound all over the place, so where it sounds like it's coming from isn't necessarily where it is coming from. My bad rear pinion bearing sounded for sure like it was coming from the transmission.
Did that last year. I literally couldn't tell where it was coming from and God knows I tried. I laid under there forever trying to determine where the noise was originating but I couldn't come up with a proven spot for the life of me.

I do remember it was silent with the tranny in gear and t-case in neutral. I could only get the noise under load. I don't remember other specifics so I need to do it again.
Unread 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #4465
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Did you use a mechanics stethoscope? If it's an input or output bearing, you can put the end of it very close to the bearing and hear exactly what's going on. Sometimes a screwdriver to the ear doesn't work great, plus the stethoscope blocks out all the "radiated" noise and just focuses on what the end is touching.

Unread 12-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #4466
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The drive shafts are going to transmit the sound all over the place, so where it sounds like it's coming from isn't necessarily where it is coming from. My bad rear pinion bearing sounded for sure like it was coming from the transmission.
That's what was happening with the few bad pinion bearings and R/P noises that I've been a party to; that driveshaft acted like a tuning fork and the noises were coming from weird places based on...well, I don't know. The only thing that seemed common was that they didn't seem like they were coming from the rear end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Did that last year. I literally couldn't tell where it was coming from and God knows I tried. I laid under there forever trying to determine where the noise was originating but I couldn't come up with a proven spot for the life of me. I do remember it was silent with the tranny in gear and t-case in neutral. I could only get the noise under load. I don't remember other specifics so I need to do it again.
I'll be interested to see what you come up with. If you've done all of these diagnostics already, then I would doubt the rear end as well.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #4467
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Started to get some snow last night.

Unread 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #4468
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Cool shot! The rig is looking good
REDLYNER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #4469
WeldedUp

Thanks for the washer reservoir find. Mine works great!

As far as confessions go, I've been stalking your thread for a while now.

Love it.
WeldedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #4470
Silver_Sport
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeldedUp
Thanks for the washer reservoir find. Mine works great!

As far as confessions go, I've been stalking your thread for a while now.

Love it.
x2. Awesome Jeep!

Tags
4 link , back half , bad cell pic's , batman , custom , garage queen , hendrix custom hood , indyorv , killer sa 4 link , ocd , pimpest jeep ever on 35s , rokmen hi lines , suspension calculator , the chit chat thread , the dark knight , tits , titties dawg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.