'rock crawling go-cart' or something - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > 'rock crawling go-cart' or something

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 04-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #211
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It was pretty good last night but still had a couple vibes going on at 65. I drove it to school today with the same results. Either way, I think I need more beads in the tires. It just doesn't feel like it should. When driving around with Mike last night, it was the best its been. It's just not consistent....my steering wheel will wobble at 45 one time and it won't move at 45 another time. Same thing at highway speeds...sometimes things are more dramatic than other times. Sometimes it feels more like a cyclic driveline vibe than a tire, and at other times it doesn't. The inconsistency is making this near-impossible to figure out. I can physically see my left front tire wobbling (not up and down) when I look out the window. I don't believe that's a balancing issue....

Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #212
AlTheKillerr

id say bent shaft or wheel but they are new wheels so it shouldnt be bent. maybe its just a really ****ed up tire
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #213
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not a bent shaft....same shafts I was running in my LP D30, just transferred over. Tires should be ok....I think that would have been found on the balancing machine. And yeah, I don't think it's the wheels. These aren't crappy cragars anymore so the quality control should be a bit better.
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #214
AlTheKillerr

have you tried moving that wobbling wheel to the back?
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #215
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Going to do that after class today.
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #216
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is a shot in the dark, but I figure you are open to anything at this point: Maybe the wheel bearings are on their way out? Even though your Jeep is relatively low miles, but maybe your wheel bearings are starting to go and it wasnt bad enough to notice with the 31"s but the 35"s exaggerated the problem?
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #217
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I second the wheel bearing. I had to replace my left front after some wheeling when I got a bad shimmy. I don't know why I didn't think about that before now. But that could be it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #218
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been saying its either a wheel bearing or the drag link since the beginning...its the ONLY thing that wasnt changed on the front that could cause that

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #219
MUDDY94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

hey just a thought, have you jacked up the front and just spun the wheel and check the tread make sure its all straight. i had a car once with a wobbly front end and it turned out to be a wavy tread line.
MUDDY94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #220
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, amidst Connors sadness, I'm a little happy. I might be getting a JK HP44 afterall

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Unread 04-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #221
xjthextremejeep

and i might be selling said hp jk 44 to him lol once james emails me back... lol
xjthextremejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #222
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Straight from my IndyORV post--

Hey fellas, I've got some interesting info. Hung out with Gary today and it was partially tires but mostly jeep. And, as you'll see later in this paragraph, it's the jeep causing the tires to have issues. Anyway, Gary has a friend that knows his **** and breathed some fresh air into my tired head. He looked around at everything up front and agreed that everything looks good. No Gary, not the draglink, track bar, etc. This guy (Destri??) whipped out his measuring tape and measured my track and wheelbase. The front axle is cocked about 1/4", the driver side being back further than the passenger side....very strange since my control arms are the same length. But, frames aren't an exact science from the factory and the larger tires will only bring this flaw to the surface. This agrees with my sympton of a slight pull to the left as well. Basically, the tires are wanting to walk away and they aren't able to, thus producing the wobble. This wobble throws the balancing of the beads off as well. Beads will only work if everything else is running smoothly. Any outside forces that the tires are exposed to will throw those little .12gram beads off and the wobble will begin to get worse and worse until you slow down....that's exactly what's been happening. So, I will be taking some measurements tomorrow in order to find out exactly how the axle needs to be adjusted. Then, I'll make the necessary adjustments to the left front control arms and hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks Gary for helping me out today...we got some variables knocked out and had some damn good food/drinks.

James, I am interested in your Currie steering. But I need to get my finances back in order first....I had some unexpected expenses come up (wheels and a fun Broad Ripple towing). Please hold onto it as I'd be glad to take it off of your hands in a couple weeks.
Unread 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #223
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The steering is yours if you want it. 399 is what I paid for it. I can hold it for however long. Assuming the hp44 sale is on.

Unread 04-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #224
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great. Now tell me how you feel about 1/4" causing the wobble.
Unread 04-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #225
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think it's possible, but if your tire alignment looks right, I'd make sure your track bar is squared away, and then just adjust the control arm out a little, and the other one in a little until you get it right.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.