Rhinofied ZJ's 95 Grand Cherokee Build Thread! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rhinofied ZJ's 95 Grand Cherokee Build Thread!

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and50" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Rhinofied ZJ's 95 Grand Cherokee Build Thread!

Figured I start a a build up thread since almost everyone else one too. So here it is. My Jeep is a 95 with the 4.0/42RE/242 selec-trac transfer case and 116k miles on her. Also only had one owner that was a mid 30s-40s woman from Maryland. Local guy that is a buddy of mine who owns a car lot bought it at a auction for 2700 and put over 1400 in mods in it. Long story short I walked (drove) away that day at the car lot for 4300. It has the crappy 30/35 combo but I got the towing package on mine with 3.73's and factory trak-lok LSD. It has a 2" BB on it now but I will soon be upgrading to IRO Foundation lift kit 3.5" lift with 5125's, and JKS QD's and BPE's. Removing the spacers and running the 31x10.50's KM2's I have now to clear a little better and allow me to flex a lot more than I can now. When the money and time allow I will get 33's and re-install the spacers and purchase and install JKS control arms or the IRO critcal path LA upgrade. Anyone's thoughts and experiences with either those two LA kits some help and advice would be great! Future plans will be superior 35 kit as I won't run anything bigger than 33's for a while and adding a selectable locker for the front along with 760x u joints front and rear. I also want 4.10's at least and may as well go with 4.56's to save money what do you guys think. I'm going to get tommy to do my 2.5" full exhaust with a magnaflow cat and muffler. I want to get a MSD coil and Distributor also. In my pics you can see I made my own intake I need to change the stock plastic intake tube out but can't justify it because what am I gonna get 3 hp My local muffler guy tommy glenn is going to fab my rock sliders very soon and then I am going to get a quote on the price for front and rear bumpers. A guy a know on pirate4x4 has a WJ. Just look for the thread titled one ton WJ. Tommy did the whole cage, tube fenders, front and rear bumpers triangulated 4-link rear and a 3 link up front, fabbed the truss brackets and SAW 2.0 14" mounts along with the fox air bump stop mounts and stopper plates on the axles. He also did the motor mounts for the 4.7 H.O. it has in it and did the rockers tied into the f/r bumpers and cage. Well enough blabbing here are all the pics I have for now.

downsized_1212091012.jpg   downsized_1212091013a.jpg   downsized_1212091015c.jpg   downsized_1212091016.jpg   downsized_1212091417a.jpg  

Last edited by RhinofiedZJ; 12-29-2009 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: BTW
RhinofiedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Some mor pics.....
downsized_1212091417.jpg   downsized_1212091418.jpg   downsized_1212091613-2-.jpg   downsized_1212091346.jpg  
Unread 12-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

New pictures of my 4000k Silvania Silverstars, and new lower grille fog lights that I used VHT Night Shade on and also the existing upper bumper lights I used the Night Shade on them as well.
1227091823.jpg   1227091848.jpg   downsized_1229091336.jpg  
Unread 12-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thought I would mention that Thursday I go in for an alignment and steering adjustment. Anything I should tell the guys to look for in particular? And in the next cpl weeks I will have new energy sway bar bushings, longer rear endlinks, and I am trying to decide whether or not to get the dent I put in it fixed or buy TnT customs sliders with door protection.
Unread 12-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
evoGibson
1998 XJ Cherokee 

why are your pictures blue ish?
Unread 12-30-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

RhinofiedZJ, you might look into a Super 35 alxe upgrade. I think they cost between 300-500 dollars and will give you better axle shafts. mine will get the Super 35 treatment in about a year.
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoGibson View Post
why are your pictures blue ish?
haha, I really don't know man I use my camera phone for all my photo's, I'm on a limited restaurant budget right now so no fancy camera's yet....
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamison View Post
RhinofiedZJ, you might look into a Super 35 alxe upgrade. I think they cost between 300-500 dollars and will give you better axle shafts. mine will get the Super 35 treatment in about a year.

Yea I most defineately am once the 33's go on and I re-gear her with 4.56's and hopefully a Detroit EZ Locker or a Aussie.
Unread 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Some Poser shots flexin in the Meineke parking lot after getting my new pads on all 4 corners, getting alligned and steering wheel centered tomorrow.

I need disco's and longer end links so bad and shocks. I really want MX-6's but if push comes to shove all go rancho 5000's at my local parts store they are 129.99 for the set. And I think KOR has the MX-6's for 149.99 (not 100% sure on this...)
downsized_1230091201a.jpg   downsized_1230091201.jpg  
Unread 12-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Toliver09
1991 XJ Cherokee 

some things you will learn to hate with your zj.
1. You now have contracted a disease, a disease which makes your wallet loose substantial amounts of weight and never get it back.
2. The first dent you get while offroading, will be a major downfall and be the start of what I like to call "Over-Armoring".
3. You will learn to hate the dana 30 and 35, not just because they are entirely too weak for much of anything, but admitting you have a d30/d35 combo to 90% of the forum members here is like screaming "Hi! I have a little penis!"
4. The second you hit the magic 4" of lift number... you will find that #1 of this list is all too correct.
5. Once you wheel it hard once, the amount of small "noises" and "groans" it will make from there on out.
6. You may or may not feel an impulse that randomly while going down the road, you find a stock ZJ, and scream out "MINES BIGGER". I have gotten to a point where I can spot out a stock ZJ from a large distance. Not to mention, I think everybody in the town I live it thinks I'm crazy when I drive by screaming "Mine's Bigger".
7. And last but not least, no matter what you do to your ZJ, keep that white paint nice. (It's difficult)
Unread 12-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

I think you should suck it up and get the normal IRO 3.5 kit with the adj. trackbar since you plan on going bigger. Also I vote for 4.56! I like it, it looks pretty clean so far. Any chance you can take some de-blued pictures?
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toliver09 View Post
some things you will learn to hate with your zj.
1. You now have contracted a disease, a disease which makes your wallet loose substantial amounts of weight and never get it back.
2. The first dent you get while offroading, will be a major downfall and be the start of what I like to call "Over-Armoring".
3. You will learn to hate the dana 30 and 35, not just because they are entirely too weak for much of anything, but admitting you have a d30/d35 combo to 90% of the forum members here is like screaming "Hi! I have a little penis!"
4. The second you hit the magic 4" of lift number... you will find that #1 of this list is all too correct.
5. Once you wheel it hard once, the amount of small "noises" and "groans" it will make from there on out.
6. You may or may not feel an impulse that randomly while going down the road, you find a stock ZJ, and scream out "MINES BIGGER". I have gotten to a point where I can spot out a stock ZJ from a large distance. Not to mention, I think everybody in the town I live it thinks I'm crazy when I drive by screaming "Mine's Bigger".
7. And last but not least, no matter what you do to your ZJ, keep that white paint nice. (It's difficult)
LOL I like numbers 2 and 7 I wash it a lot and keep it real clean so when number 2 happened it was a major downfall. My next mod or two will be TnT sliders only because they seem to have the most door protection to them. Or get my local guy tommy glenn to do a take off of their design for a lot cheaper.
Unread 12-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriwinkleZJ View Post
I think you should suck it up and get the normal IRO 3.5 kit with the adj. trackbar since you plan on going bigger. Also I vote for 4.56! I like it, it looks pretty clean so far. Any chance you can take some de-blued pictures?
Yea I decided that too. There is no point in getting the foundation and then having to buy the track bars later. Even though it would be nice to get the foundation and then get JKS adj. track bars front and rear I don't know if my funds will allow that. The more expensive 3.5" lift is 474.99 and I'd like to get the adj. rear track bar also at the same time.

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: ZJ 3.5" Lift Kit

This is the one your talking about right? Would I need the rear track bar with this kit at all to be optimal would I notice too much difference with or without it? Or should I invest in a addco sway bar instead....? I know I am getting disco's soon so I won't be adding those on with the kit. How are the shocks with that kit?
Unread 12-31-2009, 02:19 AM   #14
Toliver09
1991 XJ Cherokee 

im at just under 4" with my sagged lift.. stock trackbars still, no real issues but i would for sure get a different front trackbar. I would get a trackbar that is the "double-shear" style because when you lift these jeeps the trackbar is at quite an angle as it is, then when you droop the passenger side it will actually break the tie rod end on the frame side of the track bar and then you may experience death wobble. the double shear design will last longer in the long run and when the bushings do go bad you can get $20 bushings for it rather than $40 tie rod ends. I believe most all sites that sell lifts for jeeps now offer a double shear front trackbar conversion.
Unread 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

I run the Rough Country 4", and my brother runs the 3.5" IRO with ajustable trackbar. I can speak from experience you could live with the stock trackbar at 3.5", but even then my brother has problems with his tire getting pretty close to rubbing his coils, and his swaybar links actually catch on his coils on occasion, so an adjustable trackbar is in the near future. On my 4" I have a rear trackbar bracket which centered my axle great, but I have problems with it starting to bend, and it came loose twice when I first put the lift on. So if you can get front and rear adjustable trackbars I think it'd be in your best interest to get them.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.