Reviving a 1990 Sahara YJ :D - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Reviving a 1990 Sahara YJ :D

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #61
johnpainter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the identical Jeep, and I just installed a Howell fuel injection system. That means I have in a pile all of the original fuel system and emissions items that you might need (my '90 was unmolested and running before the fuel injection swap). I was going to put an ad on my local craigslist for the pile, but if you are interested message me privately and we'll see if we can work something out.

johnpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #62
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be adjusting my carb tomorrow which is most likely the problem. I'll send you a message tomorrow if it doesn't work.
Meepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #63
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Haven't been able to work on her too much for the past few weeks, but hopefully I have more time now.

Anyway, I couldn't get her started to adjust the carb when I realized there was no spark once again. Went and got a new Ignition Coil and she fired right up! Everything seems pretty fine besides the smoke of death (literally) spewing out. That stuff is killer. I'll try to take her to a shop tomorrow for a Muffler and Catalytic Converter replacement. Hopefully then it'll be good enough to drive around and without dying from the smoke.

I also got bored one day and decided to paint the old rusty rims since it was just sitting there anyway. I noticed after I painted them that the rims in the front and the rims in the back were 2 different types, haha. I dont think they turned out too bad. Next step is to replace the smashed body parts, grab hard doors/top and get a new paint job.

Before Pictures (don't mind the smash ):

After Pictures:

Last edited by Meepz; 10-30-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #64
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That is good news!

Can you take this YJ for a ride? The cylinders are probably full of fuel. Nothing makes an engine that has been down for a while better than to take it for a drive. See if the smoke issue goes away.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #65
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'll try a drive in the morning. Hopefully I can get around the block before passing out from smoke inhalation.
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #66
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The faster you go, the farther behind you it will be lol

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #67
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I never got around to getting the muffler/catalytic converter, but I noticed after taking the muffler off that there's no more smoke of death. Now the problem is once again it will not start unless gas is poured into the carb, but doesn't run any longer than 5-10 seconds. I took everything apart last night and completely cleaned everything with carb cleaner. Still the same problem. Think it might be just a bad carb and I should just get a new one? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #68
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Are you getting enough fuel to the carb? Take the feed line off and stick it in a bottle. Turn the engine over and watch it fill up. Should get half a water bottle fairly quickly.
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #69
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Are you getting enough fuel to the carb? Take the feed line off and stick it in a bottle. Turn the engine over and watch it fill up. Should get half a water bottle fairly quickly.
Agreed!

How much fuel are you getting to the carb? None?? Then check out how much fuel is getting past the inline fuel filter.

A tank full of gas over a ten year period will evaporate leaving a glob of crap in the tank. Adding fuel to it just thins that glob out, clogging your fuel system, starting with your inline fuel filter. If you replace the inline filter and can get it started again, only to then run into the no run situation again, I would think dropping the tank and cleaning it out would be a prudent move.

IF you have fuel coming through the fuel filter and the fuel pump but can't keep it running the next thing I would suspect would be the needle valve and float assembly in the carb.

Keep in mind it did fire/run and then quit. Most likely cause is lost a fuel supply.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #70
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, also tested that. Fuel comes through the line fairly easily. It gets into the carb, but seems like it just disappears after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
A tank full of gas over a ten year period will evaporate leaving a glob of crap in the tank. Adding fuel to it just thins that glob out, clogging your fuel system, starting with your inline fuel filter. If you replace the inline filter and can get it started again, only to then run into the no run situation again, I would think dropping the tank and cleaning it out would be a prudent move.

IF you have fuel coming through the fuel filter and the fuel pump but can't keep it running the next thing I would suspect would be the needle valve and float assembly in the carb.

Keep in mind it did fire/run and then quit. Most likely cause is lost a fuel supply.
Seeing that the fuel is coming through the line fairly easily, I don't think the problem would be with the filter. If it were the needle valve/float assembly, what would be the solution to getting that fixed? Or do I just get a new carb? I'm kinda thinking the float assembly is the problem.
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #71
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When I got mine the fuel in the bowls in the carb varnished so bad it would brake turn over. 20 min cleaning with a a tip and it ran really rough. We ended up re building the carb 100% and it worked for while after it was tuned right.
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #72
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When I got mine the fuel in the bowls in the carb varnished so bad it would brake turn over. 20 min cleaning with a a tip and it ran really rough. We ended up re building the carb 100% and it worked for while after it was tuned right.
I cleaned mine out the day before yesterday. There was a little grunk (new word) in the bowl but nothing too serious. At least yours ran, haha. Mine won't run unless fuel is poured into the carb.

Think a rebuild kit would be worth trying?
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #73
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meepz View Post
Think a rebuild kit would be worth trying?
If not, I'll just try a used one and see if that was the problem.
Unread 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #74
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think it would be worth a shot. Before I rebuilt mine the fuel would suck back into the line or evaporate and I couldn't get it started if it sat for more than two days. Had to pour gas into the carb to prime the system.
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #75
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think it would be worth a shot. Before I rebuilt mine the fuel would suck back into the line or evaporate and I couldn't get it started if it sat for more than two days. Had to pour gas into the carb to prime the system.
I agree!

This YJ sat for ten years IIRC. That carb probably looks like the inside of an old varnish bucket. If that carb is what I think it is it is a Carter 8383 or 8394 carb.

Can someone chime in to verify that for me? Look for a tag on the carb or other ID stamped into the carb body.

Rebuilding it;
http://www.jeepix.info/bbdrebuild/

Just one of a million video sources for information like this also

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.