Reviving a 1990 Sahara YJ :D - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Reviving a 1990 Sahara YJ :D

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Reviving a 1990 Sahara YJ :D

Hey peeps. Just thought I'd make a thread here to document the progress I make on my first jeep that I just purchased. It doesn't run at the moment & needs quite a bit of body work, but it'll be a nice project to keep me busy. Anyway, I posted somewhere earlier this year sometime about buying a jeep that's been sitting in a garage for 10+ years. Most replies were to not bother with it, but I bought it anyway, lol.

So, it was previously my aunts who had it just sitting in the garage. She said she was getting it junked soon, so I bought it instead for $300 bucks. It had a small fire under the hood (not too bad) because her ex-husband tried to play mechanic and mixed the wrong fluids or something and it caught fire. It's also been smashed a few times. One time she spun out on the freeway due to ice and another time someone hit it while parked.

When I had it towed, we found out that the back wheels were locked up because the parking brake had been on all of those years. I've had it for a few days now. I've pretty much just removed the wheels & drums to get all of the rust and crap from behind it. I'm sure the jeep likes being able to roll around again, haha. Also, I removed the center console since it was in pretty bad shape and cleaned the interior up a bit (even though it doesn't look like it, lol). The main goal now is to get it running which my dad will help with since he's the mechanic.

My plans are to get it running smoothly, minor things like side mirrors, get the seats cleaned, driver door handle (broken), etc., get a hard top, get new parts for the body, get it painted (probably black), maybe a lift?, new tires, new black rims and we shall see from there. It won't be an overnight project since I'm poor at the moment. :P

I'll stop writing a novel now and get on to the pictures of the rust bucket, lol...

Here's how she sits at the moment. Notice the million smashes. Poor sahara.

Interior Front:

The dirty backseat. As for the tape hanging down, the top ripped in the corner (stitching came apart), so she taped it. Haha. :P

Here's the rust and crap from inside the drum. The right side was a pain to take off. The other one wasn't too bad to take off.

Aaaand the nice and clean engine bay (haha):

Meepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

300 bucks you got a good deal. Looks like a good project to me. Keep us updated. Congratulations!
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my '88 for $200. I win!

Mine has a pretty straight body but the interior is trashed. I wish I could've bought yours along with mine. Could've swapped the interiors and turned yours into a buggy

Congratulations on the score. I'm sure you'll be able to get it going. All mine took was a carb rebuild. Best of luck!
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meepz
Hey peeps. Just thought I'd make a thread here to document the progress I make on my first jeep that I just purchased. It doesn't run at the moment & needs quite a bit of body work, but it'll be a nice project to keep me busy. Anyway, I posted somewhere earlier this year sometime about buying a jeep that's been sitting in a garage for 10+ years. Most replies were to not bother with it, but I bought it anyway, lol. So, it was previously my aunts who had it just sitting in the garage. She said she was getting it junked soon, so I bought it instead for $300 bucks. It had a small fire under the hood (not too bad) because her ex-husband tried to play mechanic and mixed the wrong fluids or something and it caught fire. It's also been smashed a few times. One time she spun out on the freeway due to ice and another time someone hit it while parked. When I had it towed, we found out that the back wheels were locked up because the parking brake had been on all of those years. I've had it for a few days now. I've pretty much just removed the wheels & drums to get all of the rust and crap from behind it. I'm sure the jeep likes being able to roll around again, haha. Also, I removed the center console since it was in pretty bad shape and cleaned the interior up a bit (even though it doesn't look like it, lol). The main goal now is to get it running which my dad will help with since he's the mechanic. My plans are to get it running smoothly, minor things like side mirrors, get the seats cleaned, driver door handle (broken), etc., get a hard top, get new parts for the body, get it painted (probably black), maybe a lift?, new tires, new black rims and we shall see from there. It won't be an overnight project since I'm poor at the moment. :P I'll stop writing a novel now and get on to the pictures of the rust bucket, lol... Here's how she sits at the moment. Notice the million smashes. Poor sahara. Interior Front: The dirty backseat. As for the tape hanging down, the top ripped in the corner (stitching came apart), so she taped it. Haha. :P Here's the rust and crap from inside the drum. The right side was a pain to take off. The other one wasn't too bad to take off. Aaaand the nice and clean engine bay (haha):
I subscribed. I'm looking forward to see this.
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
ReDinTX
1990 YJ Wrangler 

EXACT same model & color as mine! My exterior is in better shape than yours, but your interior is in better shape than mine! LoL Looking forward to seeing this as well!
'90 Yj 4.2L 5spd
ReDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
jenglish421
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I got an 89 exact same thing except mine is an auto and a hard top; mine was free

image-1522655997.jpg
jenglish421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd I like them 90's

Sent from Peggy's office
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Get a large bottle of Tylenol.
Now I would;

Pull all of the park plugs. Get a healthy spray (NOT TOO MUCH!)of PB Blaster or a 50/50 mix of acetone and tranny fluid into those cylinders and let it sit for a day or so. Then put it in gear and then attempt to rock the jeep back and forth. Does the engine move? Hopefully it does.

Another way to test this motor to see if the engine is free is to make sure it is in neutral. Then turn this engine over using a large socket and a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt. Turn it clockwise. Does the engine spin? Good

Now change the oil and filter. Throw a new set of spark plugs into this engine.

Now to address bad fuel. How little fuel is in the gas tank? I would drain the tank and add about five gallons of fresh gas into the tank. Next remove the fuel line from the carb and add an extension to it. Have your buddy crank this engine with the coil wire removed.

Make sure when you are cranking this engine over that you have the end of that gas line (extension) in a gas can with a small neck so it does not splash. BE CAREFUL

Crank the starter for five to ten seconds. Stop, attach the fuel line. Now hit the carb with a shot of starter fluid then see if it fires up. If it does it will smoke a lot! Do not worry about cooling. Just make sure the rad is full of something. Plain water is the best for now.

Once it is running, no matter how bad, you have it running.

If it runs decent, change the fuel filter and the distributor cap and rotor if they show any signs of wear. Change the plug wires IF they are really bad.

Now address the cooling system again. Make sure it is full. I would not add anti freeze into the cooling system just yet. You may be changing the thermostat and radiator and heater hoses if they are old.

Now address the brakes etc etc etc.

Apply Tylenol as needed.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
SGTMcNasty
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sub'd! Excited to see this. Good luck man and have fun.

[/COLOR="Blue"]Air Force Jeep Club - JF132RV[/COLOR]
SGTMcNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to keep it updated.

Picked up a battery for it today to start the headache on the non-running issue. I noticed the yellow looking piece on the carburetor is melted, but I'm not sure what that piece is called. I've seen the carburetor kits around. Would that include the piece for it? Shouldn't the jeep still start up without it though?

As you can see in the picture, it's completely melted, lol. Also, one of the hoses where the T connects to that piece be was melted.
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meepz View Post
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to keep it updated.

Picked up a battery for it today to start the headache on the non-running issue. I noticed the yellow looking piece on the carburetor is melted, but I'm not sure what that piece is called. I've seen the carburetor kits around. Would that include the piece for it? Shouldn't the jeep still start up without it though?

As you can see in the picture, it's completely melted, lol. Also, one of the hoses where the T connects to that piece be was melted.
I would guess that your carburetor is 'toasted' The stock part number for your carburetor is 8332 0007
This looks like your but it also looks tired BUTY it just might be good enough for now if you clean it up with some carburetor cleaner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2bbl-Carbure...4e1d0b&vxp=mtr

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
Meepz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Toasted indeed, haha. Thanks for the help. I'll check out my local junk yard and see if I can score anything. If not, ebay it is.
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Motorcraft 2100 carburetor seems to be the favorite carburetor to swap in for the Carter BBD 'toasted edition' carb you currently have. BEWARE of modification if you have strict emissions testing. You could spend some serious cash on this YJ to get it running well, only to fail emissions for not being factory smog complaint. IF you could find the same carb for small money I would go in that direction for now. Then you have to repair ALL the other fire damage to this engine or its components before you even think about getting this engine fire up. You can still soak the cylinders like a mentioned before and check to see if the engine is not seized...but you aren't starting this engine the way it is.

Unread 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the emissions tag is missing;

Unread 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not quite understanding the reason behind replacing the Carter with the Motorcraft. It's not like the motorcraft is going to give more power. It also limits selling the Jeep in the future to non emission areas and probably adversely affects resale value. These Carters lasted 20 years in many cases with minimal if any maintenance.

Here is a brand spankin' new Carter for 170 bucks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/159-NEW-CARB...fd5b87&vxp=mtr

That way it will keep it emissions compliant and the high altitude wire will still work. I liked the Carter in my mid 80's CJ7.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.