Resurrecting my 95 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Resurrecting my 95 YJ

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 06-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
7xes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Resurrecting my 95 YJ

Hello Jeep Forum.
Let me give you a brief background on myself. My journey with Jeeps began after I started working on base with my best friend and Jeeper. He owned a 95 2.5 Rio Grande. I remember first time he let me drive it and I've been hooked since. Winter came along and I started looking for something to save my DD from salt and rust and found my first ever 95 Jeep Wrangler. I got it for a steal of $2500. It was lifted with 35" Muds on it. Also came with Optima Yellow Top, electric fan and few bells and whistles. I had no idea about axles, tires etc. back then, but frame was super clean and almost zero rust on the body (which was painted flat black by previous owner). Well I kept it for few months, Herculined inside the tub, swapped 1 piece TJ axle for QuickDisconnect as the 4wd wouldn't engage ever and left me stranded 2 or 3 times I went to have some fun with my uncle on some public trails in CT. Fast forward I sold the Jeep for $3400 and went ahead looking for another project. Went all the way to Mass where guy swore he had a perfect YJ with lockers, winch etc asking $4000. Got there and thing was a complete mess. On a way back my friend found what looked like a mint 2000 XJ for 2500. Stopped by, checked it out and got the thing. Got the biggest death wobble on highway at 60 mph, almost crap my pants mind you that. As it later turned out it had a cracked head so I sold the Jeep for $1000... Got another 93 YJ, kept it for few months and sold it once again to get a 2006 Rubicon. Loved that thing to death and to this day I regret selling it but after refinancing I got 14.5% APR and there was no way I would keep it like that, but past is past and we have to move on. So that brings me to my current project that I finally decided to make a build thread to keep me motivated and also to finally have a Jeep I can at least enjoy for all four seasons in a row down here in CT!

So now that the boring stuff is over, here is the 1995 YJ day I got it a little over week ago:

Some basics:
SOA on saggy stock springs
33" BFG All Terrains
~2in TC drop
1" Body Lift
Rusted, but not rotted frame
Corroded brake lines, fuel lines, power steering lines and rust all over

Well I got it for $900 and am pretty pumped about it. Previous owner said it sat in his bushes for over a year, it didn't want to start up so he decided to get it out of the driveway. I towed it home, cut the belt and thing fired right up. Alternator was seized so I went ahead and got a used but in fair condition 136 amp out of an XJ for $50. As it turnes out the engine mount bolts were also broken, and it was held by only one bolt, so I ordered Brown Dogs 1" MML Super Kit.

Here's how she sits today:

Plans for this week are to finish sanding down the frame and put few coats of chassis saver on it, flush cooling system with citrus degreaser to remove all the nastiness inside of it, flash all fluids, replace rotted brake lines, replace fuel filter and all the basic maintenance so hopefully by time the motor mounts come in it will be last thing to put on it and enjoy it for few days. I am also hopefully picking up a Ford 8.8 that is already set up for SOA this Thrusday so if things go right it will be one less thing to worry about down the road!

7xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #2
7xes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Finally after my annual training I painted the frame. Will post some pictures tonight. Got a quick question, while I was pulling out the fuel lines and rear brake line, another line that goes to the tank was rotted out. I think it is the fuel vapor tube, but can't find a part number for it. I found one for a TJ, but not sure if it's the same line. Heres the link to a TJ one: http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Engine-Perfo...pn=JEP52127601
Can anybody confirm it's the same part? It goes from the fuel tank to a canister under ECU on the driver side firewall.
7xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Jeep! Looks like you got it for a steal!

...Wishing I wasn't stock
Edit: Wishing everything worked as it should
JeepaholicNinja is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.