The red YJ aka (Elmo) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The red YJ aka (Elmo)

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-31-2014, 12:39 AM   #91
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

what's that behind your tailgate? some sort of wifi hot spot?

mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #92
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hadn't updated in a while. Fnished the tire carrier this past fall. Just got done replacing the valve cover gasket, CCV, and some vacuum hoses that were falling apart. Here are the pics from the tire carrier. Friend made a hinge at work and we welded the square tube up over the course of 4 hours. CB showed up yesterday too, waiting on the antenna and cable so that will be going in within a week or two.

Also, traded in my mustang for a truck finally. Needless to say, there will be much more wheeling this year.
img_6209.jpg   img_6210.jpg   img_6211.jpg   img_6213.jpg   img_6216.jpg  

img_6220.jpg   img_6222.jpg   img_6741.jpg  
Unread 01-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #93
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Little preview of the CB overhead console
Planning on finishing this up over the weekend. Also need to do a compression test on the motor. I have a major case of blow by even after replacing the ccv set up. Coming up through the dipstick too. So that will happen soon enough. I've been driving the truck mostly.

image-622468465.jpg
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:15 AM   #94
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Was able to get the console mounted with some scrap brackets. Today i will be disassembling it all for finishing and paint. You may notice it hanging "low" I did this for a couple of reasons, clearance for the bikini top as well as appearing flush with the windshield and roll bar when the top is off. In reality, the box does not hang that low. You can turn you head and see who is sitting next to you and getting bounced around on the rocks my head won't hit.

image-1074252141.jpg
Unread 01-26-2015, 11:57 PM   #95
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Did more work on the cj5 floor rather than the yj this weekend. However, console is finished for painting throughout the week. Hopefully have it wired up and installed sunday. In the meantime, if anyone is looking for reasonably priced LEDs for their jeep or daily driver headlights/fogs/lightbars check out GTR LEDs. Lifetime warranty dust and water proof. Not to mention easy to install and didn't break the bank. Installed them in the truck tonight afterwork. I have to commend them on the quality. Fogs look yellow in the pic but are more white in person. Headlights are more towards the 6k temp. (More blue). Very happy. Very bright. Reverse lamps are LED as well. Make backing up to the trailer nice n easy at night. Trailer will be the next project before spring

image-1818123467.jpg image-2060312326.jpg
image-2160996798.jpg
Unread 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #96
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great looking Jeep!

I've got some questions about your Monstaliner. How do you like it now that it's been on for about a year? Is it holding up well? Not fading, etc...? How much Monsta did it take to do the outside? How many coats did you do? I think you said you rolled it on, if you did it again would you still roll it or would you spray it? How did you match the interior?

I've been thinking of doing this to my Jeep. I painted it a few years ago with some cheep single stage acrylic and it's starting to show its age. Also, I run a lot of narrow trails with a lot of brush so I think Monsta would hold up better than paint.
johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #97
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
Great looking Jeep!

I've got some questions about your Monstaliner. How do you like it now that it's been on for about a year? Is it holding up well? Not fading, etc...? How much Monsta did it take to do the outside? How many coats did you do? I think you said you rolled it on, if you did it again would you still roll it or would you spray it? How did you match the interior?

I've been thinking of doing this to my Jeep. I painted it a few years ago with some cheep single stage acrylic and it's starting to show its age. Also, I run a lot of narrow trails with a lot of brush so I think Monsta would hold up better than paint.
Nice yj. Monstaliner, I have NO regrets. For starters rolling on for me was much easier than spraying. There was less prep in the shop. Just laid down a bunch of cardboard and covered the wheels. See a few posts back. I took plenty of days taping, sanding and prepping the old surface. Wiped it all down with lacquer thinner right before we rolled on the liner. Rolling was a bit hard to get the roller lines to blend but I've painted many times before on drywall with no issues. Figured this would be easy. I did apply one coat. I only used one gallon. Truth be told, it could use a second coat to better texture the body and fill just a couple of small pin hole spots where I can still see primer. It is holding up exceptionally well. I work out by the mills here and it has held up to acid rain, fall out, sun, and the salt. It sat outside almost all summer with no fade in my opinion. I spray it off and use quick detailer/spray wax to keep it shined up. Water beads right off. Holds up to rugged branches on the trail. I do have one chip where I accidentally banged the grinding wheel into it the other day. Little can of red spray paint cleaned that right up. Other than that, I have nothing but good things to say.
Unread 02-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #98
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Never minded the snow. Cleans up easier than mud.

image-1574047827.jpg
Unread 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #99
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got the front bumper finished. Purchased the motobilt stubby. We made our own stinger. Eventually a m8000 winch will find its way home on top. Hardest part was bending the tube and making the miter right on the bumper. Very happy with how it turned out. image-1304188606.jpg image-1665987539.jpg
image-3397175325.jpg
Unread 03-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #100
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you get your latch and pivot for your tire carrier?
johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #101
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Latch is simple gate latch. found it on amazon. I think Tractor Supply Company (TSC) carries them as well. The hinge a buddy machined for me.
Unread 03-16-2015, 06:00 PM   #102
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Console is done. CB is wrapped up too. Very happy and definitely recommend the cobra29LX

We are heading south this weekend for the IFWDA convention here in Indiana. Ready to go wheeling!

image-11985293.jpg

image-279426656.jpg
Unread 04-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #103
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

After hitting the trails a few weekends ago, I figured some limb risers were necessary to protect the glass and LED pods. I could not justify spending $100 from the catalog so made my own. 3/16 stainless cable, eye bolts, and clips... $20 later it was done.

image-1461984784.jpg
image-1416129437.jpg

Unread 04-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #104
jollymon55
1987 YJ Wrangler 

absolutely love your build. i will be looking into some of these mods and stealing some of your ideas. thanks
jollymon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 11:57 PM   #105
2jeeps1stang
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I will post pics from the trip tomorrow from my laptop. Pm me if you have any questions. Bored today, having a beer allowed me the opportunity to make use of a cart we had in the shop.. Wheels my doors around no problem. image-661298575.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.