The Red Pig Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Red Pig Build Thread

AMP Research Powersteps - A Morris 4x4 Center PromotionCrawler Conceptz at JeepHut.comTime To Save On Yukon Lockers!

Unread 12-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Red Pig Build Thread

Well, I have spent 1/4 of my jeep's total vale in upgrades, so I figured it's time to start documenting some of this.

To begin, I was driving a 2012 Rubicon last winter, but some damn drunk hit me this past May and totaled it. The Rubi saved my passenger and I though. It could have been much worse.

I found this Sport a month or so after the accident. Only 87,000 miles on a 97 sounded good to me!the amount of rust was good as well, especially considering it has been in CT it's whole life.
Here She sits in the lot I found her in:

The plan is to keep this thing as a daily driver, but also trying to make it a capable weekend warrior. If a decision has to be made, I will lean in the direction of off road capability over on road comfort, but ideally it can do both OK.

Specs are as follows:
AX15
D30/D35 with 3.55 gears
30' wheel package so it has gamblers
had an airbag lift in the front for a plow.

Over the summer I have put on a Barnes stubby front bumper, and the Warn M8000 from the JK.
I installed MetalCloak front Arched fenders with their 6" flares.
MetalCloak rear full coverage corner guards are drying and should be on later this week.
I got a hold of a Ford 8.8 for the rear end. It needs to be prettid up though. It has Posi and new 4.10 gears. I'll be grinding the brackets off tomorrow and redoing the brakes and parking brake over the next few weeks.

I don't plan on running anything bigger than 35x12.5 on this jeep. To do so, I want to finish up the 8.8 and will likely use an OME 2.5' lift to give me some articulation. Supposedly the fenders I have will allow 35's with no lift, but my suspension is pretty worn right now, and I wouldn't mind some room to stretch anyway.
I am looking at the Artec truss and bracket kit for the 8.8. I'll weld that up over the winter hopefully.

To get rolling, I'll remove my front driveshaft until I can regear the axles. I am thinking 4.56 ultimately, but I'm hoping the 4.10 in the 8.8 will suffice until I can afford the re-gear.

I haven't decided on upgraded braking yet, though I'm looking at Currie to upgrade my steering components.

If you see anything that sounds wrong, feel free to speak up. I'm learning as I go on my own, so I'm sure I've missed something.

Here is one of the trails I was on a few weeks back. I finally got to use the winch to get out of this hole.

nothinghead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some mis-matched mud from one of the first trail runs:

One of the first things I did was remove the diamond plate from the rockers, and of course there was rust under there. I cut the rust out and primed and painted the good metal that was left. I'll weld that up later.

I also removed the lower flare extension from the front flares. I wasn't a big fan.

At this point I was looking at the Currie short arm lift and a 1.25" Body Lift to get me room for the 35's. Gotta save up.

at one point I was having electrical issues. The jeep would shut down on it's own randomly.

Turns out the battery terminals were a little corroded. Easy enough fix.
Unread 12-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

While rotting tires and changing the Diff fluid, I attempted to replace the fuel check valve. The one I got from Ebay did not fit though.

Apparently that wasn't a problem though, because I was rear-ended shortly after that and they ended up making my fuel tank leak, and I managed to get a new fuel pump out of the deal.

A civic will dive right under a TJ. Messed up my exhaust too.

I had just been hit a few days prior to this accident too. Someone pulled out in front of me. They bought me the MetalCloak fenders.

Here they are going on:

And the front fenders:

That front bumper makes a great shopping cart pusher.

This is where I am at for now. I'll have the rear corner guards installed soon, and hopefully get the 8.8 finished soon too. Those Toyo tires are about done and I'd rather not drive them in the snow.
Unread 12-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I suspect no one can see my pictures aside from me due to my post count... No worries. Here are some more posts.

Today I ground the brackets off the 8.8, and welded up the gouges.

Unread 12-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
rdock31
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Pics show up
Unread 12-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent. Thanks for the confirmation.
Unread 01-02-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Prestrong
2008 JK Wrangler 

The new fenders look great!
Prestrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You gonna run the gamblers with the 35's? Always liked that wheel. Plans sound good, gonna be a good build.
98TJcomeonuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2015, 12:27 AM   #9
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Today I installed the MetalCloak Corner guards. I've never been so comfortable drilling or cutting into the body of my own vehicles. I'll have pictures up tomorrow.

I also ordered my Old Man Emu HD lift. This thing will look pretty silly for a while till I get the wheels and tires.
Unread 01-03-2015, 12:28 AM   #10
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJcomeonuh View Post
You gonna run the gamblers with the 35's? Always liked that wheel. Plans sound good, gonna be a good build.
I want to, but the backspacing is off. I am currently looking at Cragar Soft 8's, more for cost than anything else.
Unread 01-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #11
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinghead

I want to, but the backspacing is off. I am currently looking at Cragar Soft 8's, more for cost than anything else.
You could always buy a good set of wheel spacers. That's what I did so I could still run my ravines. The gamblers would look so sweet with 35's!
98TJcomeonuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I looked at the spacers, but they are the same price as the soft 8's. when it comes time to put the money down, we will see how i am feeling at the time.

I am thinking BFG T/A KO for their longevity and on and offroad decentness. Any other suggestions? I had them in 33" on my JK Rubicon and they seemed fine, but my experience is limited.
Unread 01-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

You seem to have awful luck. You're build is starting off nicely though
Follow me on Instagram - @thereich
reichard117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichard117 View Post
You seem to have awful luck. You're build is starting off nicely though
Thanks. I was doing so well for years. I think I was just due. Hopefully things stop hitting me for a while.
Unread 01-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
nothinghead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Whelp. Here are teh pictures of the rear corner guards:

I am not painter....

With time I will sand down the runs and pretty it all up some.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.