Red the LJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Red the LJ

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Red the LJ

I figure I might as well start a Jeep build thread now that I'm going to be working on it more.

This is my plan thus far, it's always changing. If you have any suggestions for parts/brands that'll work better, let me know in the appropriate discussion threads linked in each stage!

This build will be starting with a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) with an automatic transmission.

Current upgrades:

Stage 1 - Little Stuff
Suggested read: Recovery Gear Basics
  • Keeper 20ft Tow Strap | Amazon
  • Smittybilt 3/4in D-rings | Amazon
  • HiLift Jack
  • HiLift mount for rear
  • Delta H4 Headlight Conversion Kit | Quadratec
  • Headlamp bezels black
  • Tough Stuff Hood Rack | Tough Stuff Products

Stage 2
  • 31in Goodyear Duratrac tires
  • Rokmen steering box skid | Rokmen | Reviews
  • Currie AntiRock swaybar | Currie
  • Rokmen Mercenary GT front bumper | Rokmen
  • Warn 9.5cti winch
  • Hella Rallye 4000 Euro Beam Lamps | Amazon
  • MetalCloak arched front tube fenders | MetalCloak | Reviews

Future upgrades:

Stage 3a - Body Lift
Stage 3b - Suspension Lift
My lift discussion thread.
  • OME2934 - Front ZJ Springs
  • OME2949 - Rear LJ Springs
  • Bilstein 5100 series front shocks
  • RE monotube rear shocks
    Same part as Bilstein, however Bilstein branded was on back order.
  • JKS #126 front adjustable trackbar
  • MetalCloak Long-Travel Rear Adjustable Track bar | MetalCloak
  • 1.25" rear bump stop
  • Crown cam bolt kit

Stage 3c - Geometry
  • Savvy Control Arms | Savvy

Suggested reads:
Do I need bumpstops?
Correct bumpstop lengths.

Stage 4 - Bigger tires
Stage 5 - Skids
* Requires CV
Note: I had chosen Nth Degree skid plates years ago when I first made this list. I will probably end up using Rokmen or Savvy.

Other

Removed upgrades:
  • Front Light Guards
    They didn't fit with my new headlights
  • JKS Swaybar disconnect | JKS
    Didn't fit with my new bumper
  • Rugged Ridge Turn Signal Guards
    Replaced stock fenders with MetalCloak's highline style.

Last edited by toximus; 06-11-2014 at 05:35 PM..
toximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Reserved.
Unread 06-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The story thus far

Well, I got my Jeep used in the Winter of 2010. Despite being 7 years old already, she didn't was in great shape and only had a few issues that didn't need attention right away.

I immediately put together a list of upgrades I wanted to do, and put them together into batches that would easily be done together. Much of that is reflected in my current list.

Now after 4 more years I've had time to figure out what my needs are and the weaknesses the LJ currently faced in my environment. The Winter season can last 8 months and where I wheel the snow can reach into many many feet. For daily driving alone, I've had to go through fresh snow above the bumper with drifts reaching above the hood. My old tires couldn't handle these conditions so I upgraded to Duratracs, and bought recovery gear to not only help myself but get everybody I came across unstuck too (current off trail recovery count stands at around 20 cars)!

I've upgraded my bumper to one from Rokmen, and gone through a few antisway bar replacements as my stock links busted and my new bumper did not allow the JKS quick discos.

One of my goals is to drive up to Alaska in the Fall and return as the snow starts to fly, for this I feel my Jeep is not ready. While many guys build their Jeeps for the rocks, I'm building mine for the snow and will be documenting it here along the way!

Stay tuned!
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
toximus
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Parts are slowly starting to trickle in for my lift!

JKS 1.25in body lift:

Bump stop extensions:

As more parts come in I'll be updating the album with more pictures of the parts.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.