Reclamation Build up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Reclamation Build up

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
fsts2k

Reclamation Build up

Purpose of this thread is to document the re-build of my stolen Jeep. The Jeep was stolen in August of 2012 and then found in May of 2013; thread is here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f323/...icago-1408012/

In December after the theft I replaced it with a Red LJ (which I am very happy with) and since then I had been looking to purchase a project Jeep for my friend and I to build into a trail rig; luckily before I bought an old XJ the old TJ was found. Considering I didnít have comprehensive on the 2001, when we found it the car was still mine. So without meaning to, I have found myself with two TJís. Perfect?? Not sure but it is what it is. This one is going to be stored at my friends place where he can drive it around and now we will have two Jeeps to go onto the trails, the blue one to beat on and the red one to follow. Goal is to not trash the red one but we shall see.

Anyway, onto the build, this is what the jeep started like prior to the theft. It had ~118K miles on it and was built by a nice guy in the Chicago area before I bought it from him. I had it for about a year driving it as a mix of street and trail. Overall it was fine, dirty, scratched, had character; I had a lot of fun with it.

jeep-origjpg.jpeg

fsts2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
fsts2k

And this is what I found in a small garage in Bedford Park Chicago:
bumper_stolen.jpeg

found-jeep-2.jpeg

found-jeep-side.jpeg

found-jeep.jpeg

found-jeep-outside.jpeg

tires_theif.jpeg

theif-engine.jpeg

winch-thief.jpeg

found-jeep-trailer.jpeg

Unread 12-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
fsts2k

The individual was arrested and is currently going through our court system; I don’t have any fantasies about getting restitution. The doors where gone, top was essentially gone, radio pulled, engine out, speakers gone, trans out (short shifter broken), drive shafts out/gone, radiator gone, interior full of junk, bumpers pulled, winch and winch plate (which he stupidly cut up) mounted on his YJ, wheels and tires moved to his YJ (he didn’t lift it so they obviously rubbed badly and cut the tires), and a variety of other issues. My friend and I pulled what we could find which actually was a lot. The police allowed me to find my parts and stayed with us until we loaded up the Jeep. Many parts were on his YJ which we reclaimed and others were strewn about his garage. It was almost like an easter egg hunt, finding a mix of TJ, YJ, and other assorted Jeep parts. While this may seem weird to some, we didn’t take any parts that were not mine. The thief had a variety of nice tools and parts but even after he stole from me I didn’t want to go to his level. Not going to dwell on it anymore, we loaded it up on my trailer and off it went to the garage while I collected parts for 6 months.

Davey’s Jeeps has been great to deal with and the parts are nicely priced. Friday was the first day of the build and we first started by full inventory. Overall the engine appeared in good condition only missing the alternator. The wiring harness was still attached and most of the connectors were there. It took us about three hours to look over the engine and find what was missing and start to bolt it up. Then dropped the motor back in Friday night and connected as much as possible. For the end of Friday night I hooked up the battery and found that the lights worked and we had power (nice). Unfortunately when the Jeep was stolen they ripped the key cylinder out chewing up the steering column and since that was all pulled to put a new one in we could not switch to ACC to see if the computer came on.

Saturday was all about putting the trans in but we found we were missing the engine to trans cover (ordering tomorrow) which stopped all forward progress to get it running. We did put in the new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, etc so once the cover plate comes in we should be able to bolt it up. Also put on the correct wheels and flares to get it looking like it used to. This was a pretty big mental help as the Jeep went from looking like a sad neglected heep to something that might actually run soon.

Overall there were quite a few little issues along the way. Lots of stripped bolts and mounts so there was judicial use of taps and triple checking the thread size. The wiring harness was like a puzzle, trying to identify where everything went, and then a fair amount of just looking for the right parts. I do have a few questions that I hope others can help with:
- Bracket and sensors that mount on drivers side of the engine bay near windshield washer tank. I know I am missing a bracket here but I don’t know what mounts there. The blue TJ did not have cruise (my red one does so I know this is a difference) but I am still not sure what mounts here. There is a picture of a black sensor/component with a small vacuum line coming out. Know what this is?
- Five wire connector cut: On the same side of where the bracket is coming out the wiring harness has five wires that are cut. Not sure what connector is here or what that attaches to
- Last connector on wiring harness: The last connector on the wiring harness that goes to the back of the Jeep was cut. I can see wires that were cut from an the drivers side rear axle and assume this is to the fuel pump and fuel tank gauge, true?
- Vacuum lines to intake: There are three nipples on the intake, I think I found where the center nipple goes, not sure about the two outer ones. What are these for?
- Any other thoughts/ideas would be great

I am hoping to get her running in the next few weeks then spend the remaining winter getting the bugs out of it. Will keep posting progress as it comes together.
image-6-.jpeg

image-7-.jpeg

image-1-.jpeg

jeep-rebuild-11_31_1.jpeg

rebuild-11_31.jpeg

engine-replacement.jpeg

engine-bay-drivers-side.jpeg

intake-vacuum-lines.jpeg

unknown-part.jpeg

Unread 12-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you got it back, but I'm curious, how did they find it?

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
fsts2k

The cops told me they got a tip there was a stolen car in the garage. They drove past and found him working on the YJ, pulling parts from my TJ and putting them on it. Apparently they walked up, said hello, ran the VIN and then the above happened... luck I guess
Unread 12-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsts2k View Post
The cops told me they got a tip there was a stolen car in the garage. They drove past and found him working on the YJ, pulling parts from my TJ and putting them on it. Apparently they walked up, said hello, ran the VIN and then the above happened... luck I guess
Hmm. A little luck never hurts.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
varangian
Certified Village Idiot

Wow...what a lucky find! I'm glad you got your Jeep back...as well as some of the parts!

Hopefully the scumbag gets a big sentence with a bigger cellmate in a small cell.
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
lostinkorea
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ill stay tuned! Great story, not that it happened but you got it back. Also great moral stand on stealing any of his crap which prob wasnt his to begin with haha.

LIK
lostinkorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
SmitsXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet
SmitsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
fsts2k

Thanks! It is still a work in process as work has paused the effort. Just got a note from the states attorney that he pled guilty to possession of a stolen vehicle and got two years probation. Seems like it is limited repercussions for taking my jeep but such is life.

Been looking for doors still, they seem to be pretty expensive. Otherwise I hope to finish by April
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #11
fsts2k

Got the trans put back in yesterday and rebuilt the steering column; coming together. Unfortunately when I turned the key to fire the starter it wouldn't go. So there is either a problem with the ign switch or with the clutch sensor. Also blew out the clutch slave being stupid so had to get a new one of those to put in.

Does anyone have a good link for the vacuum hose diagram? I got the bracket with all the emissions components that goes in front of the brake master cylinder but there is a maze of hoses yet... would like to at least see a few pictures of how to hook those up.

Once we test the engine I just need to finish the wiring and put in the axles and it should be running (maybe wishful thinking)... hope one more weekend
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #12
fsts2k

Its alive.... Tracked down the problem with the starter. There is one connection on the wire loom that is right above the trans, looks like a 6 or 8 connection. Finally identified a broken and split connector that had come home in the jeep. Turns out this broken connector had the manual trans jumper in it, forced it in which allowed the starter circuit to close. Three cranks over and it fired up, couldn't hardly believe how easy it started after being on it side for over a year.

Jeep ran like a top, rev'd to 3k and it sounded perfect. It is throwing two codes right now related to emissions which makes sense as most of that is not plugged in. If the drives shafts had been in we could have driven it today. Lots of little things left to do but this was a big step forward
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
fsts2k

Could someone help identify what the five wires are that come out of the loom on the drivers side fender? They are in their own cable surround right near the clutch master cylinder and have an orange, two grey wires, and white with purple stripe (not sure of any others). They are shown in the the first picture. There is a jumper cable in the picture, please ignore that along with the yellow alligator clips.

In addition, any help with vacuum diagrams?
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg  
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
fsts2k

Here is the start-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNRb...ature=youtu.be
Unread 02-24-2014, 11:13 PM   #15
Saul32
1988 FSJ Wagoneer 

This is Awesome! Glad it kinda all worked out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.