Reclaiming the Chromed out Rubi - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Reclaiming the Chromed out Rubi

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 05-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #91
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrows View Post
Cause in Maine we have to have our tires covered and with 4.0 backspacing, 12.5 are covered.
wow. thats gay. we dont need flares at all. its actually street legal here to have no doors too as long as you have side mirrors lol. theres Door-deprived wranglers all over the place

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #92
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No pics, but I did change out my old spark plugs and gave the Jeep some new life blood. The old plugs had gaps ranging from .053-.071. Factory spec is .040. The new double platinums are great. The Jeep no longer has a slightly rough idle, and there is no hesitation. It transitions through the powerband more smoothly.

As for the old oil, it looks like they used 5w-30. The stuff was very thin. Some fresh Valvoline 10W-40 is now happily inside the engine keeping things slick. I might get up some pics later to show how bad the plugs were, but I am leaving pretty soon to go out for the night.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #93
ItsaFinRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i thought the factory plugs gap were supposed to be .035... and what plugs are you running?
[SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/itsafinrubicon-build-thread-1012286/"]2004 Jeep Rubicon[/URL] [SIZE="2"][/SIZE] ::[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]|R.C. 4"|PSC|Smittybilt|35" KM1|QTec|R.C.|[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Dtowngoalie;9869864]rausch frock rauschhhhhhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=ajamison;11841284]trails frock trailssssss![/QUOTE]
ItsaFinRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #94
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure what the gap is(searching found both 0.035 and 0.040 in different places), but you can look under the hood at the emissions sticker and it will tell you the OEM spark plug and factory spec for gapping it to. It's the same sticker that tells you how much R134a your AC system takes.

Why the platinum plugs? I don't have any experience with Jeep stuff... but when I worked at the Dodge dealership I replaced enough coil packs on Neons and Stratuses and a few other vehicles that failed... all were due to platinum plugs. Something about them just doesn't jive well with the OEM Chrysler coil packs.

Again, no experience with the 4.0L giant coil "rail" but I sure as heck wouldn't want to replace that as it's expensive.

IMO replace them with Champion replacement plugs.

As far as your old plugs were gapped you will still get a decent improvement(such as you noticed) with replacement OEM plugs. Maybe not as well your fancy bling bling plugs but honestly I'd rather not risk a $120 coil rail assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #95
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep

Now start throwin' some parts on there!
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #96
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaFinRubicon View Post
i thought the factory plugs gap were supposed to be .035... and what plugs are you running?
I pulled that from the FSM for 2004. Funny enough, 2005 says .035 as does the sticker under my hood. I think it might be a typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Not sure what the gap is(searching found both 0.035 and 0.040 in different places), but you can look under the hood at the emissions sticker and it will tell you the OEM spark plug and factory spec for gapping it to. It's the same sticker that tells you how much R134a your AC system takes.

Why the platinum plugs? I don't have any experience with Jeep stuff... but when I worked at the Dodge dealership I replaced enough coil packs on Neons and Stratuses and a few other vehicles that failed... all were due to platinum plugs. Something about them just doesn't jive well with the OEM Chrysler coil packs.

Again, no experience with the 4.0L giant coil "rail" but I sure as heck wouldn't want to replace that as it's expensive.

IMO replace them with Champion replacement plugs.

As far as your old plugs were gapped you will still get a decent improvement(such as you noticed) with replacement OEM plugs. Maybe not as well your fancy bling bling plugs but honestly I'd rather not risk a $120 coil rail assembly.
We aren't talking about regular platinum plugs. They do cause issues. We are talking about double platinums. The single plats work fine in distributor setups, but the spark rail system doesn't like the difference in metals at each end. You are right, you will get the same improvement with OEM copper plugs. The only reason for going with the double platinum plugs is plug life. They will last about 3x longer for only twice the price.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #97
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Every 30k miles is such a long interval anyways... why even bother

So you gonna wheel your Rubi or not in August?

You've got until midnight before I post some shenanigans in my sig to pressure you further into attending

If you get down here Friday you can help BS and install Zach's Aussie and I won't let you leave without something cool added to your Jeep.

Quote:
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 07-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #98
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was planning on getting there Friday if I get to go.

The way I have it planned, I won't have to ever do plugs in that motor again if I go to a diesel, or I have to put in one more set before I hit 200k.
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #99
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Do you still have those rubicon rocker guards? I'd be willing to take those off your hands.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #100
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You've left me no choice sir...

So to the rest of Jeepforum:

If you would like to see this build actually get wheeled, then PM LuckRider and tell him to get down here in August to wheel at Starr Motors with me on my birthday!

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #101
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
You've left me no choice sir...

So to the rest of Jeepforum:

If you would like to see this build actually get wheeled, then PM LuckRider and tell him to get down here in August to wheel at Starr Motors with me on my birthday!

I SECOND THIS MOTION

Get your *** down to VB so we can wheel man!. My jeep is about the same as yours and you have front and rear lockers, if Im wheeling with just an aussie, you're wheelin that damn rubi
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #102
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Holy ****... I didn't even realize this is my thread. Stupid name change.

Yes, I still have the rockers. They are on my Jeep. They will be available when I upgrade to Savvy w/step sliders. I also lined the tub in the Jeep. Too lazy to post that.
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #103
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

lol luck, I kid, I kid...

I forget what the original title was, but I'll change it to whatever you want. Let me know.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #104
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Its all good Apex. It used to be something like Sporadically Update Rubi Build or something like that, but that works just fine. Maybe Reclaiming the Chromed out Rubi . I just never knew when I subscribed to a thread titled Chromed out Rubi
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:52 PM   #105
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sigs ftw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.