Reclaiming the Chromed out Rubi - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Reclaiming the Chromed out Rubi

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I'd skip the bedliner man.....it becomes more of a PITA than the cool idea it first seemed. And for most, the jugs are usually the first to come off. Personally, I'm a fan of chopping the ends right off the stock bumper.
I guess that means you still have no experience with Monstaliner. It is a completely different beast. I did say in the first post I would be willing to take a stock one one someone's hands for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsc View Post
Damn man your first jeep got messed up. And that is the first time I have ever seen a chrome swaybar cover, that thing is hideous. Other than that your doing a nice job with it.
That is the first time I have seen one too. It is actually made of metal rather than plastic (which is what I expected). Thanks Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannon View Post
I think you're missing a lugnut?
Nah.... There is one that is a crappy hollow style one. I will replace it eventually.

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #17
INCA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuKon44 View Post
note, on the bug deflector not everyone likes stone chips on the leading edge of their hood from highway driving like myself, personally think its a very good accessory.
I dont see it protecting much...Id be more worried about the brick wall grill jeeps have

looks good luckrider!!

you should take it down to a completely stock look..with no bumper end caps!

at least your jeep came with less chrome than what my brothers inca gold jeep did
INCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had a bug deflector.....it didn't do anything but look funny. There still aren't any rock chips on the leading edge of the hood.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #19
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah the bug deflector won't do much. I don't have any chips on the hood of mine either. If you can find one, get a chrome grill overlay and paint that jam black. That would look SICK!!

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Nice to see you in another Jeep finally... Definitely an upgrade from old blue! Best of luck on the mod's, ill be following this thread.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #21
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Yeah the bug deflector won't do much. I don't have any chips on the hood of mine either. If you can find one, get a chrome grill overlay and paint that jam black. That would look SICK!!
Agreed. In fact, the only place I've used bedliner and still approve of it (besides the inside of course) is my grill and leading edge of the hood. Hence, no chips. That would look really sick on a white TJ, too.

And about Monstaliner being a "completely different beast"--it will still hold bugs, grass, mud and junk more than smooth paint will. That's why I'm not a fan of it on rocker guards or any armor.
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #22
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Agreed. In fact, the only place I've used bedliner and still approve of it (besides the inside of course) is my grill and leading edge of the hood. Hence, no chips. That would look really sick on a white TJ, too.

And about Monstaliner being a "completely different beast"--it will still hold bugs, grass, mud and junk more than smooth paint will. That's why I'm not a fan of it on rocker guards or any armor.
boy you have to disagree on everything don't you

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
boy you have to disagree on everything don't you

He wouldnt be Imped, if he didnt...

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
SOLIDJP44
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post

He wouldnt be Imped, if he didnt...
It was just a suggestion about the bug deflector if you travel the interstate a lot like i use to for 2 years, it it very handy and esp when you get cut off by 18 wheelers with **** flying outback from their trailers, i know i have had the hood painted twice, once due to not having the bug shield. That's why my grill is textured lined to reduce having paint chips, but Imped knows it all...

2011 GMC ALL/Terrain Sierra z71-Current

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #55
SOLIDJP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #25
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
It was just a suggestion about the bug deflector if you travel the interstate a lot like i use to for 2 years, it it very handy and esp when you get cut off by 18 wheelers with **** flying outback from their trailers, i know i have had the hood painted twice, once due to not having the bug shield. That's why my grill is textured lined to reduce having paint chips, but Imped knows it all...
Dont be ugly about it... hes just giving his ... isnt that why we post here, for opinions?

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #26
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I drive about 1500 miles a month in my TJ, most of which is highway. So in that respect, I know what works and I can tell you that my old bug deflector did nothing to help. Since it looked goofy and didn't do anything worth while, I removed it.

I like Luckrider's new Rubi A LOT and I know he's got pretty good taste. Since I think my opinions may be valuable to him, I'm giving them so he doesn't make a mistake he'll regret a year from now.
Unread 05-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #27
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So what are your plans for this thing?
Martinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #28
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am still undecided about the bug deflector so I am not in any hurry to take it off unless someone wants to buy it. Here in NY, we do get a lot of trucks with garbage flying, but I put almost 15k on the last Jeep, and the only chips in the paint were in the windshield frame. So Imped, tell me how I will regret the bug guard in a year? I didn't pay for it.

I did manage to get the chrome tube steps off today, and it makes it look like it sits higher now. It is amazing how much higher this one feels for it being stock. I don't have pics because I helped put a 12'x28' car port (the fully enclosed style) up after class today. I took the steps off in two minutes while taking a short break. Too bad it is so dark out.

I also need to get a pic of the gas cap filler. I used up the last of the Hammered paint I had, and it looks awesome. It has a different look at different angles in the sun. Straight on it looks black, with a big glare, it looks pitted. I finally got that back on. The filler bezel is so faded out that it looks like garbage, and I wasn't up to a refinishing.

As for plans, I don't have any right now until after college. After that, a beast will be born. I do want to sell the Rubi rockers and tubes so that I can buy proper sliders with an integrated step. I hope savvy has one soon in the sub $400 range.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 05-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #29
INCA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
It is amazing how much higher this one feels for it being stock.
must seem alot higher coming from a jeep on 27" tires
INCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #30
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlin View Post
must seem alot higher coming from a jeep on 27" tires
28" thank you very much That makes the Jeep only about 1.5" higher.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.