Recently Purchased 2000 Cherokee Classic (Project?) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Recently Purchased 2000 Cherokee Classic (Project?)

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #16
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepperXJ View Post

this is now definitely one of my favorite build threads! Awesome job man!

You liking those RC 2.2 shocks? I am on RC hydros, and then are, well, lets say dreadful. I should have known better huh?
I was just curious if the 2.2's were better.
I believe that the RC Hydros are the same as the Rancho/BDS/Skyjacker/Rustys etc. If you look at them closely they all look basically identical. Mine were ok, but overall rough jarring and crude.

The 2.2 RC shocks are leaps and bounds better than the Rancho/BDS setup I had before. I didnt realize just how harsh they were before I popped these on. Much more supple and compliant, and the bottom out stopper helps at full squish too.

For the price they are an excellent shock in my opinion. I would buy them again.

Need to do some work this weekend, will be working on lighting!!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
I believe that the RC Hydros are the same as the Rancho/BDS/Skyjacker/Rustys etc. If you look at them closely they all look basically identical. Mine were ok, but overall rough jarring and crude.

The 2.2 RC shocks are leaps and bounds better than the Rancho/BDS setup I had before. I didnt realize just how harsh they were before I popped these on. Much more supple and compliant, and the bottom out stopper helps at full squish too.

For the price they are an excellent shock in my opinion. I would buy them again.

Need to do some work this weekend, will be working on lighting!!
Yeah I had thought they were all very similar, wasn't sure though. I know what you mean about them being jarring. I feel like I feel everything. Oh well, for now they get the job done Did you order your shocks directly from RC or through a separate vendor?

Keep us updated on those lighting updates this weekend!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
ChiliPepperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Football47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #19
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepperXJ View Post
Yeah I had thought they were all very similar, wasn't sure though. I know what you mean about them being jarring. I feel like I feel everything. Oh well, for now they get the job done Did you order your shocks directly from RC or through a separate vendor?

Keep us updated on those lighting updates this weekend!
Jarring as in kind of harsh on bumps... not very compliant or supple. You feel EVERYTHING! I actually got a set off of a Jeep Forum member, used but you could never tell they were even out of the box. I also sold all my BDS/Rancho stuff including boots and a damper, bushings etc for what I got these for...so they were almost free! They are about 2 inches too long for my XJ, but I am adding some lift soon and they work great for now...slightly limited up travel...makes up for lack of bump stops up front!

Big rubber bottom out bumpers.

I deal with an RC dealer here locally now. They sell the entire RC lineup for the same price as RC posts online and I get a local club discount. Shipping is CHEAP from Vancouver, so I get a better deal now. I have ordered from RC, and they offer a 10% JF member discount, but you have to call in to order.

ok, updates.

Finally got a nice day on Saturday to do some more work on this. I got up early as my daughter usually wakes me up at 6 (ugh). Was out about 9, still a bit cold, but MAN what a nice day!! Spring is on the way folks, got up to 12 or 13 yesterday (55 for you south of the border).

Anyhow, I started by finding locations to mount the light brackets I made for the under Jeep lighting. Mounted the lights and then set to wiring them all in. I ran each side of the front pairs together, then stopped at the firewall. I will rin them through a grommet as soon as I get all the interior wiring done.

Captain Split Loom they call me...

Then it was on to the relay box. I popped the cubby panel out of the back of the XJ, and found that the rubber clean out/drain plug is not sealing all that well in there. No rust, only some crud...cleaned that out first. I then ran the wiring for the power/ground etc. I ran 8 gauge power line from the battery all the way under the XJ to the rear. I used split loom anywhere it may chafe and used a TON of zip ties. I zipped it to the wiring that was run for my 7 pin trailer plug.

I wired in the 2 rear lights (supposed to be 4, forgot to order enough...fail), and ran the wires in through the black plastic plug by the tail light. I did this before for the trailer 4 pin tie in, and it seals up really well!

One line is the left rear, one is the right, one is power from the battery. I FORGOT to do the hole for the roof lights and backup lights...doh! Hope I have enough space?

I then mounted the box to the cubby panel. Worked out awesome, as I was able to utilize the existing vent holes and run all the wires in there. I ran a 4 gauge ground, but forgot the ground fuse! Doh x2. I will pick one up this week, as well as some 4 and 8 gauge connectors and ring terminals. Anyhow...I am getting close, as I also ran the CAT5 from the rear panel to the switch panel. Nothing wired in yet, ready to go however.

Tested the rear lights with an 18V drill battery in the rear. Even with only 2 out of the 4 I wanted to install, they are very bright!!

More to come this week!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 02-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
reichard117
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i love the red jeeps.. this looks like the exact build style i want to do with mine when i get one. not too big but still plenty capable. keep up with the pictures!!
build threads get the through the school day
reichard117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

After a long delay, I finally got back to working on my 1/2 finished project. My dad got very sick, and actually ended up in Intensive Care near death. After weeks of recovery in the hospital I am happy to report he is back at home and on the mend...disaster averted. Then, I get a call that my mom had a mild heart attack...wtf? They are both ok, and getting better day by day, scary few months indeed! Hence my lack of Jeep time, or anything time?

I took stock of where I was and where I needed to get to and figured I had 4 hours work, I was off by about 3 hours. lol I needed to get power to the roof rack and needed to run the power lines for the LED rock lights. In addition to that I needed to finish the CAT5 cabling and terminate all the ends.

I ran the CAT5, terminated the ends at the switches and at the relay box...

I ran power to the switches and a common ground and then set to powering the rack lights. I looked at my options and went with a hole above the rear header, a grommet and some RTV to seal it all up. I drilled, test fit the grommet and then painted the bare metal with nail polish. I gooped it all up with RTV then assembled. I ran some split loom through and then sealed that up too.

Sadly I only ran the 1 pair of wires for the backup lights and FORGOT the 2nd set for the front driving lights? *DOH I will hopefully be able to stuff the wires into that small split loom, if not...more drilling, more holes. *sigh

Oh and here is what I am powering all of this off of

It is not sealed (yet) but will be soon. As soon as I finished installing the power dist block I realized that is where I need to drill a BIG hole for the cowl snorkel? Oh snap! FAIL again...

Oh and while I was at it I decided to swap out the 55 watt 57 series KC driving lights for the 100 watt 6" pencil beam off road lights I picked up cheap, $40 bucks for Grote with KC guards new in boxes! Man are they bright!

(bad cell phone pic into the sun)

So where am I now? Working rock lights = check. Working 100 watt offroad lights = check. Working 55 watt rack mounted backup/work lights = check. Working front rack mounted offroad lights = not yet?

No night time pics yet, soon however. My cam sucks and my wifes good Cannon had a dead battery. I will pop some lights tonight of it in the dark all lit up.

More to come.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #22
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

more...

Today I added some lights to the basket rack. I also replaced the mickey moused rack to vehicle connectors (butt connectors) with some Weather Pak connectors to keep the water out.

I took the 2 KC 57 Series 55 watt lamps I had, cleaned them up, washed them down and sprayed them with Krylon and then mounted them to the front of the rack. They are nice and light (no pun intended) and mount really solidly with a simple hole and some custom bent washers.

The Weather Pak worked out awesome. After they were assembled I sealed the ends with RTV and inside I used dielectric grease to keep these working for a good long time.

I have not connected the lights yet, that comes today...kids wanted dinner, go figure. Oh and in the process of notching the wind deflector for the light mounts, it snapped! I guess 4 years in the sun and elements have made it VERY brittle. LAME. I guess I can at least use it as a template for a new one?

Still more to come... inverter mounting and wiring next!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 07-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Any updates man?

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Unread 07-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #24
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Man,
Yes, a few I guess? I have been working on my offroad adventure (overland) trailer mostly lately, and well...just plain working. I have had my trailer lid completed, I purchased a Mt Hood 4 person RTT from Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT) through Trekken Offroad locally. I have finished up all the wiring I was working on, and replaced my water pump and serp belt... um, tune up etc, lots of stuff!

Spent the last couple of weekends working on the trailer getting it ready to go...may even get a trip out in it by the time winter hits! lol

Jeep

Lid

Finished with Epoxy and glass with 4 coats of high build auto primer

ground and rust prepped

Monstaliner

Still have to replace the steering box, and do some exhaust work...other than that it is running like a champ!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #25
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

That thing is epic!! That will be nice for camping adventures; plus those tents are sweet... Not sure if you have seen or not, but McObray got a RTT and it ispretty awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing this trailer all finished with tent installed man. I'll be checking back.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Unread 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #26
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man...I love this Jeep and trailer. It is going to be epic, very stoked on the RTT. I am on ExPo and think I saw McObray on there with the RTT?

New updates in a week or so. Camping with the family in our tent trailer this weekend.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
DriverX
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome build! I stumbled across your build thread while searching for FitchVA relay boxes. I know someone out there has saved his pictures for reference... and luckily you posted them! Just wanted to thank you for that and I will be using your ideas for the relay box as well. Keep up the good work!
DriverX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #28
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No worries man... I was bummed when his site went away, good stuff on there.

I have been working on the Jeep less and less, and more and more on the trailer project. Did a power distribution and fuse box similar to this one in there too. Deep cycle group 24 battery and all.

More work to come on the Rokee soon, needs some TLC ASAP.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #29
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

a few recent pics... not a lot of work lately on the XJ, cold wet winter, not a fun time to work on your Jeep with no garage.

New years day trail exploration with my son.

I love the West Coast...

Burger shop after...

Last weekend after a wash (first one since like October)

It has been somewhat neglected since I picked up this... 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK 5.7L Hemi, one owner...no miles (60,000 KM)

Having 2 Jeeps is great, one for DD and one for fun! The Hemi is a beast, so much power... but it is a clean beast, so it will remain mostly light duty. The XJ, getting some repairs and ready for the trails ASAP! It is getting...

New LCA Johnny Joints (Currie)
New Steering Box
New Rear License Plate mount in rear tire swing out (Genright LED lighted one)
New Spectre Performance Cowl Snorkel
New Group 24 Deep Cycle house battery for AUX stuff (lights, stereo, saving my *** in the boonies when I run down the main) in place of the stock air box
New Hella 500 Driving Lamps (replacing the BIG KC spots for flood/driving)
and more!!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #30
Football47
1998 ZJ 

Okay I'm sending you my Jeep to trick it out lol nice job. It's like brand new too, not like you would wanna buy a new 2014 Cherokee anyways....those things suck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.