Rambo's Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Rambo's Build

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

Rambo's Build

Hey all!

I have been reading through many of these builds and find them extremely enjoyable. I wanted to leave my mark on the forum with my own build.

A little Background:

I purchased my 2015 JK back in January. My wife, as many of you can relate, was weary and not fully on board with a new vehicle purchase. Increased monthly payment and it just wasn't something we "needed." But, my man skills of manipulation brought her over to the dark side and we pulled the trigger.

That bit of information should relay to you the hesitant nature of my wife to allow me to spend money. This will further clue you into the fact that this will be a slow build.

While I would love to pour money into this awesome machine, it can't be done. This is the family vehicle (or grocery getter). My wife is visually impaired and we have two small boys. That being said, bear with me. I will do my best to make a Jeep that is all my own and enjoyable for you to see grow.

If at any point in this thread you have any money saving tips or free mods to throw into the conversation I would really appreciate it. So with that, enjoy!

-Rambo

(P.S. Rambo is my last name...not a poser)

zdrambo0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

The beginning...

It was a chilly January morning and my 2014 Patriot needed serviced. Bluetooth stopped working so I brought it into Safford of Winchester to let them take a look. While waiting my 3 year old son and I decided to look at cars so I could keep him occupied.

We looked at used and new Wranglers, and I reflected on memories of my dad and I off-roading in his Rubicon when I was younger. I had once owned an XJ (3.5 lift w/33s). We ventured to Rauche Creek and I took it through many-a-farmer's field in high school.

My son and I spoke with a salesman and stumbled upon two fairly inexpensive JK Unlimited Sport Models that had yet to hit the lot.
bluevred.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

The decision...

As you can see both were bare-bones standard. Automatics with hard tops. I was impressed with both because, well, I know Jeeps ARE NOT Cadillacs.

I obviously wanted the Red with the nicer wheels and tires. However, the wife stepped in (on the phone) and after much convincing she allowed me to start the process on the less expensive Blue.

Yes..the Blue one...with the ugly steel wheels (sigh).

But I couldn't complain. Hey, at least she let me get one. FRIGGIN' SWEET!

Brought it home and plotted my first mod.
homesweethome.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

First order of business..get all that road salt off from the ride home!
first-wash-1.jpg   first-wash-2.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

Knowing that spring would be approaching, I began my campaign of prodding my wife to allow me to get a soft top for warmer weather. Easier removal would make the convertible aspect of a Jeep much more enjoyable.

The task was simple really. I wanted the fast-back look. I figured if I got a fast-back soft top, it would be like having two Jeeps. Two distinct looks from the square back to the slanted back. It just so happens Bestop created the frameless Trektop. Now, you already know price is an issue, so I obviously had to go with the less expensive original Trektop ($629) vs the Trektop NX ($729). While I would have rather had the additional features of the sunrider and the safari conversion of the NX, I would sttle for the roll back original and ease of removal.

So far I have been pleased. No leaks and installation was super easy! I have already scratched the back window to hell from rolling it up and sliding it under the back seat, but oh well. It comes out easy and its awesome for trips to Lowes when I want that space to let things hang out the back like lumber or trees!
bestop-trektop.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

I received my Master's Degree a few months later, and with Graduation money I purchased a fairly inexpensive Rough Country 3.5 inch combo lift from Extreme Terrain.
lift-mats.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

The installation was pretty easy. My dad and I spent a saturday with some pizza and beers, and installed it in about 8 hours. The instructions sucked, as you will read in the reviews. Thank God for youtube, as there is a full video on the steps to install. I was pretty pleased with the look. I got an alignment a few days later so everything was straight. Now the steering is just a bit touchy, but overall I haven't had any issues (Death wobble etc.)
lift.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

Yup...thats my Roller Skate Jeep
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

I didn't really like that my grille showed the Radiator frame, and I wanted to try one of those cheap mods for mesh inserts. I followed the gutter-guard mod for Jeep Grille and it turned out pretty nice. Took about an hour. Although I have to add, the zip-tie anchors with the 3M backing didn't hold up to the heat. So I had to remove the grille and throw some Guerilla Glue under them and they have held up good so far.
grille-mats.jpg   grille-step1.jpg   grille-step2.jpg   grille.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
zdrambo0
2015 JK Wrangler 

Just ordered my wheels and tires from Discount Tire Direct. I went with 35/12.50 15 General Grabbers (because its my DD), and MB Razor wheels. Should be here in the next week or two so I will post pics when they arrive!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.