Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Pwdrtoastman tjlr build-epic proportions

7K views 53 replies 12 participants last post by  pwdrtoastman 
#1 ·
Sold my 05 Electric lime built TJL in a bundle deal for a 2014 JKURX. Long story short, JKs are for girls but seriously it didn't have the "jeep" feel.

I purchased a 05 TJLR from a guy in SC, Will was phenominal to deal with, real stand up guy.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/highlined-lj-rubicon-build-2323849/

2005 Jeep Wranlger Unlimited Rubicon
4speed 42RLE auto
4:1 Rock Trac HD Part Time 4wd sys
Heavy Duty Dana 44 Front Axle 4.88 gears swap from a LJ with 18k
Heavy Duty Dana 44 Rear Axle 4.88 gears swap from a LJ with 18k
4.11 gears

Things I know I need to fix:
rear main seal has a small leak

Mods:

ARMOR
Front bumper is OEM, i think
Sliders-JCR Crusaders boat side
Nth intergrated belly and rear drive shaft skid
Front fenders- Genright-4in hi-line aluminum
Rear Corners-PSD Aluminum
Rear Fenders-Genright 4in steel
Rear bumper- Genright
Tire Carrier- Genright fold down aluminum

I/C/E
OEM 6 disc head unit
RF 2-way 5.25 using adaptor plates
CB w/ fire stik and rugged ridge dash mount

SUSPENSION
Metalcloak 3.5in springs
JKS front sway disconnects(old)
Rear 5125 blisteins shocks
Front out board (f250)
Fox racing 2.0 front shocks

STEERING
Currie/Savvy steering
metalcloak track bar
OME Stabilizer

DRIVE TRAIN
4.88 gears on 18k axles swapped from my other project
AA transfer cases cable and shifter

RIMS TIRES
17x8 AEV something
315/70 R17 BF goodrich T/A KO (still have warranty from 4wheel parts)

Extra
AEV Highline hood
GENRIGHT 31 gallon fuel tank
WARN 9.5Ti winch w/o controller
Mastercraft Baja RS front seats
Truck lite LED Head lights

Mods carried over from other projects:

Mods Installed Then Removed:
JKS front sway disconnects

Mods awaiting install:

Mods Installed Then Broken = Fail:

Trails Completed
SMORR
FLAT NASTY
numerous CA

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
First round of mods/replacement parts; these were required to pass inspection.

Cool note the oem harness plugs right into mirror, works like a charm.

Attachments

#9 ·
Finally was able to spend some time bringing the jeep up to code, it took some redneck ingenuity but I was able to get it done:

First thing I had to do was find the signal wire, ACC, and 12v. I spliced two wires from the passenger side tail light and one wire from the contacts inside the jeep. The 3rd brake light I purchase was a signal light from AUTOZONE for $15, it's a led light that came with a life time warranty

The tailgate is a custom piece and I really didn't want to ruin it so... here comes some ingenuity. I folded a old motorcycle license plate to fit the contour of the tail gate, without making contact with the paint.

And the end product

#14 ·
66,456 mile
Had the jeep aligned, the shop informed me that my lower ball joints were shot. After some light wheeln, u completely blew out the lower joints. Only took 2.5 hrs to remove everything, going with MOOG replacements. Interesting note: I broke my 1/2 craftsman rachet and breaker bar.

#19 ·
updates:
the ball joints on the jeep failed causing severe death wobble:
After replacing all the ball joints with MOOG every joint failed within 10 mins........ I'm thinking the MOOG joints are not designed correctly after pressing in some duralast joints I've noticed a big difference in how the spindle bolts to the axle. I'm doing a longevity test, the drivers side will have duralast while the passenger side will have spicer joints. They cost almost same so time will tell.

I've also order a tom woods drive shaft. I hope the jeep will be road worthy by the end of this week.

#20 ·
I've been having some major vibrations at high way speeds since I bought the jeep. I assumed it was because the jeep didn't have a double cardon rear shaft and the that was causing drive line vibrations. Come to find out the front shaft just need to u-joints....still paying for the jeep pushing 40's earlier on in its life.

#27 ·
What size Fox's did you go with? Plan on doing the rear to I assume

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.