the punishers ezgo build thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > the punishers ezgo build thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #46
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done I want to do this on my own but am planning to do it when I upgrade the rear axle and outboard the shocks as well so i can get everything setup correctly. Hopefully this winter I can start work on that.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #47
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks mo,it only happened because i hired my bro in law to do the harder pita stuff lol..but it worked out great,i just swapped sides with them after cutting them off,and a little notching the bottom so it fit further under the frame so i didnt create any unessisary lift.
going to drive it in a few minutes to the woods for the heck of it.

fla cracker head born and bred

build- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hread-1065655/
johnny9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #48
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
i just swapped sides with them after cutting them off,and a little notching the bottom so it fit further under the frame so i didnt create any unessisary lift.
That was one thing I was wondering about. I know you changed springs at the same time so you may not know the effect of just the spring perch move, but I'm wondering if straightening the spring out lifts the rear any?

I'm already sitting a couple inches high in the rear so I may want to drop down to a 2.5" or 3" lift spring in the rear when I outboard and move the spring perchs. My front end is weighed down by my heavy front bumper and winch but rather than pick the front up again with spacers I was thinking about bringing the rear down some since I don't need 4" of lift with my 33's
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #49
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ive read other threads how they gain hight but after they were removed i cut the bottom of the "c" all the way back to the round part of the bucket so it would go up a lil further on the frame than normal, and touch the frame at the spring seat rounded edge..i did it in hopes of not gaining anything and i think it worked as its only a 1/4 inch taller in the rear and they say in a few months the springs will relax,so we will see soon enough.
i just got back from a normally rough ride in the woods and im amazed at how my rear actually seems to ride better than the front now..almost a lil sloppy compared to the jar before,,i like it sloppy lol..im happy .
cant wait to out board the shocks when the weather gets cooler

Unread 09-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #50
rphogan

sick jeep man
rphogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #51
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny9 View Post
ive read other threads how they gain hight but after they were removed i cut the bottom of the "c" all the way back to the round part of the bucket so it would go up a lil further on the frame than normal, and touch the frame at the spring seat rounded edge..i did it in hopes of not gaining anything and i think it worked as its only a 1/4 inch taller in the rear and they say in a few months the springs will relax,so we will see soon enough.
I think I get what your saying. By cutting the bottom of the C's out on the ends you were able to push them up farther onto the frame rail. I'll keep that in mind when I do the same to mine. Thanks
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 09-15-2010, 05:52 AM   #52
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

its hard to explain but i think you got it..since i havent triangulated the rear yet i had to keep the rear trac bar bracket,when you move the spring bucket it hits the t.bar bracket,and if you put it there like it is youll be gaining hight and its not level with the frame..notching the bottom let me push it up farther and still got it level and against the t.bar bracket.

Unread 09-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #53
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

wheeled it a couple hrs today to check the new springs..i like them so much ive got to order new front ones now..rides so good off road.

ive got so much brake line left to strech that i really need to get some new longer front shocks but may be a lil while yet.

Unread 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #54
jeeptech01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I really liked wheelin out there. Cant wait to get back there again soon. Your rig is comin out real nice and it seems to be working well for you.

What is the purpose of straightening the rear coil buckets though?
Unread 09-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #55
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptech01 View Post
What is the purpose of straightening the rear coil buckets though?
scroll down this link and you will see why lol..the angle rides like crap and makes the spring stiffer imho..i will be doing the outboard shock mounts also but not real soon"maybe" haha
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ou...cation-929056/

when wheeling yesterday i can feel the diffrence off road like crazy,much much better than before..it moves more freely i guess you could say.
after outboarding the shocks they say thats the real diffrence..
read some of that thread,its a good one

Unread 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #56
weinbern
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Johnny!!!!! Holy **** the build looks good. Love the long arms. When is that 8.8 going in the rear??

I just found a set of Rock Krawler long arms for my jeep. Will need to save up for the belly/bracket system and rear truss. Should have those in a month or so.

How about i take a trip down to Ocala for a little wrenching party so I can still hang....
Unread 09-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #57
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks noah,your welcome hear anytime but as far as the wrenching party i doubt i can make time for that lately..takeing care of my parents changes everything..you,ll see someday but i hope its a long time for sure..
few guys from empty pockets going to jeep fest in ocala and camping somewhere for the weekend..theres a thread on it also..i will be wheeling the 25th if youd like to join us for the day in the sand pit trails..

Unread 09-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #58
weinbern
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Definitly plan on attending Jeeptoberfest. Camping sounds fun as long as it cools off some before then.

Sorry to hear about ur parents. Mine are getting old but they are too stubborn and thick headed to let age get to them.
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #59
jeeptech01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I never noticed that before. Now I understand the mod.

Im hoping to get my junk together for Jeeptoberfest. When I have an extra min Im gonna start a build on SCFL. It really has come a long way.
Unread 09-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #60
johnny9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

started the suck down winch today and almost finished..
thanks to stu,s web site for this great idea or i wouldnt have come up with this myself.. Stu Olson's Jeep TJ Web Site - N7QJP

i started with 1/2 inch thick plate,i choose 1/2 so i could use a cheap northern tool winch and counter sink a couple of the bolts a 1/4 inch in the plate and still be strong,hopefully.

rounded the corner to fit the bucket better.

counter sunk and flush.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.