Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
636K views 5K replies 220 participants last post by  JK08JK 
#1 · (Edited)
Firstly, I would like to thank Pat (Nevermonday) and Blaine (mrblaine) for all of their help with all of my questions, the phone calls, and everything else. Without those two, I'd be clueless. Also a big thanks to Robert, Rod, Jerry, Connor, Chris, Marty, and Mike. For all of the help so far, and all the work that you'll help me with that you don't know about yet. :) Also, thank you to Idaho Jeep, thedirt, jason m, Jerry Bransford, and anyone else that I may have missed. There have been tons of people on here who have given me plenty of advice (not that I listened to all of it ;) ) but I think I've got what I want figured out now with everyones help. So, cheers to you. :cheers:

I started ordering parts today for my build, so I thought I'd go ahead and make a thread. There won't be any actual building until I get home from Kuwait, but until then, I figure someone may want to look in on what I'm up to.

If I had any idea how much things would change.... lol... yeah... I edited the first post because I saw how wrong it was after not being changed for like 2 years. Anyways, the Jeep changes a lot in this thread. Enjoy the read, and the banter. There's lots of that. Lots and lots of that.

#38 ·
I am not liking the axle idea, it would be completely worthless to spend that money on those axles, especially the rear axle, no benefit there, at all. As far as the front axle goes, the ONLY benefit you would have is to be able to run 5.13s, and maybe a 10% stronger ring gear, but THATS IT. Here is how you make your decision: do you want to spend $1500 on an axle that is locked (but not geared) that is low pinion, and you still need to spend $500 on to regear. sounds like a huge waste of money to me.

heres the price break down

JY hp D30 - $105
super 30 kit you have a line on - $1200
gears - $250
install - $250
with this you will also have chromolly inners and outers, you will obviously need to change the bearings and ball joints, but you'll be doing that with either axle...more to come soon

#40 ·
I am not liking the axle idea, it would be completely worthless to spend that money on those axles, especially the rear axle, no benefit there, at all. As far as the front axle goes, the ONLY benefit you would have is to be able to run 5.13s, and maybe a 10% stronger ring gear, but THATS IT. Here is how you make your decision: do you want to spend $1500 on an axle that is locked (but not geared) that is low pinion, and you still need to spend $500 on to regear. sounds like a huge waste of money to me.

heres the price break down

JY hp D30 - $105
super 30 kit you have a line on - $1200
gears - $250
install - $250
with this you will also have chromolly inners and outers, you will obviously need to change the bearings and ball joints, but you'll be doing that with either axle...more to come soon
Yeah, me and Rod were attempting to crunch numbers before I had to go to a meeting earlier. I think I might just do the Super 30. The more I think about it, the rubi axles would be a lot of work. Even though I could sell the rear. I don't care if I have disc brakes in the rear anyways, there isn't any real benefit to them other than being more familiar to me mechanically.

#42 ·
I know it's simple. I just don't care about them. The drums aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

#45 ·
I am all but giving up on the JK axle. It's alright. It's something to think about for down the road. I'm just going to do the Super 30 kit/HPD30. I'm not going to bother with the Rubicon axles I don't think. Too much would be required of me and my time to make this deal work JUST right. And I can't guarantee that I'll have that time available being over here and all. So, back to the original axle plan. I just need to nail down the lift for the billionth time and I'll call it a day.

#46 · (Edited)
#50 ·
Alright, I took the list provided above, shopped around, and this is what I dug up...

TJ/LJ JOHNNY JOINT® CONTROL ARM 8 PIECE SET

2.5" Suspension System by Old Man Emu

JKS Rear Adjustable Trackbar

JKS Front Adjustable Trackbar

Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer

JKS 1.25" Body lift

Total: 2036.75

I'll be taking those prices to Brian at 4wdh, and seeing what he can do. I'll post up what magic he worked here in a bit. I know he'll pricematch, but we'll see if he can do anything else.

#53 ·
They sure do. Even if something is not on their site, if you call with a part number a lot of times they can get it. I'll have to check on all this stuff, but they probably can, I'm not worried. The only thing I couldn't find a lot cheaper was the actual control arms. They were pretty much 899 wherever I looked. If I can't get it from Brian, I'll call Jason. :)

So, up for purchase THIS check is the super 30 kit, and probably the Vancos. If I don't have enough for both I'll start getting more of the smaller stuff from the list going. Front diff cover, f+r gear sets, and I might call daveysjeeps and get the half doors I've been waiting on.

#54 ·
Paid for the super 30 kit today, should be shipping tomorrow. Waiting on a PM and then I'll order the Vancos.

#55 ·
Super 30 Kit shipped. Still waiting on word from Blaine about Vancos.

#56 ·
Super 30 kit showed up today. Woot!

And I have decided to not go with Co2. I found a good deal on a Continuous Duty ViAir system for around the same price as I'd pay just to get all the crap I'd need for the Co2 set up. Plus, I can run my lockers off of this, AND HOOK UP MY TRAIN HORN!

#58 ·
You will always know where I am at the Badlands.

3 honks for getting over a tough obstacle (Because I'll be excited), 2 honks for I'm stuck (Also code for Aw Poop), 1 honk for someone else is stuck.

Seriously, if anyone is looking for OBA, check out Hornblasters.com. Their kits are crazy cheap. And if you become a member of their forum, you get another 10% off. It's nuts.

#60 ·
Thanks man. There will be PLENTY more pics when I get home from Kuwait. My goal is to put everything together and be wheeling within a month of getting home. We'll see.

The color is actually called Impact Orange, it's an OEM Jeep color. I love it.

#63 ·
No I'm not back yet. And I've still got a few more months at least (Barring any extensions.). I'm just trying to get everything around and ordered as much as I can each payday.

SO what did Brian say he could do?:shhh:
I actually haven't called yet. International calls ain't cheap. And I hate conducting business over email. I haven't gotten a new phone card for my phone yet. I should have more minutes tonight. I have a list of things I need to price check between the two companies. I should have budgeted phone cards into my build. At 40 bucks a pop for 50ish minutes, I'm paying through the nose to call. I'll let you know what I get them for once I talk to them.

#65 ·
Will do. And ME TOO.

#66 ·
I just found an amazing online jeep store as far as prices go. AND they are a vendor on JF.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com

At the very least, I'll be using their prices for price-matching, it really depends on who gets me a better deal between them, Brian or Jason. To give you an idea, their OBA set up I was looking at is 70ish bucks cheaper than 4wd, and close to the same from Q-tec. I'm going to have to re-price my build now to reflect their prices and see what's lowest. I feel like I should be on a reality show called "Bargain Hunter". I'll post an updated pricing here in a bit. I have to go buy a phone card when the phone shop opens up.

#67 ·
Soooooo, it looks like I saved about 700 bucks just by price matching alone against Morris 4x4 (The link in the last post). Right now they have Warn M8000 winches for 699 btw... Now I have to wait a few hours for everyone to open up and get on the horn and see what's what. Mmmm Jeep stuff.

I wish Morris 4x4 carried more product now. :(

#68 ·
Well ****. The cell network is being really patchy today. I'm not going to waste minutes to only get half of a conversation. I'll have to call tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.