Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
636K views 5K replies 220 participants last post by  JK08JK 
#1 · (Edited)
Firstly, I would like to thank Pat (Nevermonday) and Blaine (mrblaine) for all of their help with all of my questions, the phone calls, and everything else. Without those two, I'd be clueless. Also a big thanks to Robert, Rod, Jerry, Connor, Chris, Marty, and Mike. For all of the help so far, and all the work that you'll help me with that you don't know about yet. :) Also, thank you to Idaho Jeep, thedirt, jason m, Jerry Bransford, and anyone else that I may have missed. There have been tons of people on here who have given me plenty of advice (not that I listened to all of it ;) ) but I think I've got what I want figured out now with everyones help. So, cheers to you. :cheers:

I started ordering parts today for my build, so I thought I'd go ahead and make a thread. There won't be any actual building until I get home from Kuwait, but until then, I figure someone may want to look in on what I'm up to.

If I had any idea how much things would change.... lol... yeah... I edited the first post because I saw how wrong it was after not being changed for like 2 years. Anyways, the Jeep changes a lot in this thread. Enjoy the read, and the banter. There's lots of that. Lots and lots of that.

#3,757 ·
Bul****ting? I was working up until I went to pick up the welder. Then I just couldn't bring myself to get all that **** back out of the garage. Lol glad you guys made it back ok. How was the ride with all that extra weight? Lol

#3,758 ·
I'm welding tomorrow, and working on nutserts in prep for the underarmor that will get here Tuesday.

#3,762 ·
Tomorrow I'm finishing the welding on the cage, and doing a little grinding on it. If the dealers have the parts, ill be replacing the nutserts as well. If not, that will happen on Friday. I'll probably lightly sand the surface rust off the cage and shoot it in primer too. We'll see. If I find downtime, I've got plenty of grinding to do under the jeep, as well as cutting the rear coil buckets loose. I still haven't figured out the solution to my shocks. I don't think the current outboard is going to work.

Anyone want to buy some TNT customs front super phantom tubes with a James twist? I'm debating on doing something a little different. I've given up hope on getting the jeep ready for the Jambo. It's just not going to happen. I'll still try, but I'm just not seeing it.

#3,763 ·
What are you thinking about doing for the front fenders? Ive always wanted your front custom James fenders but I just wish they were highlined. Any regret not putting highlines on it? (I think I've asked you this before but can't remember).

#3,764 ·
I don't regret not highlining them. And I do really like them. But I don't want to go through the hassle of highlining them. Not because it would be hard, but because I don't want to fart around with trying to make them look right with how I'm doing the rockers.

#3,766 ·
Dealer didn't have the nutserts or bolts in stock. They'll be in tomorrow. I did get the parts for my nutsert tool. Headed back to jerrys to weld/grind.

#3,769 ·
Yup. Got the welding done on the cage. It looks great. Grinding some parts smooth on the seat mounts now and then wiping it down to prep for primer. Hopefully 6 cans is enough lol I'm expecting a lot of over spray.

#3,771 ·
I wish I could take credit for the cage. I'm just doing the finish work. Chris did the grunt work. He's great with a bender.

#3,774 ·
Cage is in primer. I have to wait till tomorrow in the sun to see if there's anywhere I missed. Short, early day tomorrow. Painting the cage and shooting the liner. Once the liners done I'll be working on the nutserts and grinding.

#3,775 ·
Rod is getting an early start today so he can get the liner shot hopefully around the time I get there. I'll spray the cage and work on nutserts and hopefully get the underarmor on or at least a good start tonight. Then I'm waiting on selling **** to get the rest of the link material. Hopefully the dash is back together next week, and if I can figure out how to get the jeep out of the garage without axles ill get the cage back in.

#3,777 ·
Bennettj13 said:
Rod is getting an early start today so he can get the liner shot hopefully around the time I get there. I'll spray the cage and work on nutserts and hopefully get the underarmor on or at least a good start tonight. Then I'm waiting on selling **** to get the rest of the link material. Hopefully the dash is back together next week, and if I can figure out how to get the jeep out of the garage without axles ill get the cage back in.
Thats gonna be a chore. Only way I see that working is. After the underarmor is on. Jack up the front, lower it down on a set of those caster plate/wheel dollies from HF. Then 2 floor jacks or dollies under the rear of the frame. Push it out just enough to clear the windshield frame. Set the cage in, and repeat the process.

#3,778 ·
First coat is done. Once it's dry, I'll lightly sand it and flip it to do the parts I couldnt hit from the top. Then flip and second coat. The jeep is mostly masked off for lining. I may spray it tonight. Waiting on vaseline to coat the gun with first.

My Savvy Underwares are here. Haven't opened the boxes yet.

#3,780 ·
Waiting on vaseline to coat the gun with first.

Be careful there, I tried that and ended up with a pregnant wife :D.

Cage looks awesome James! I actually need my A-pillars redone and seat mounts changed to essentially mirror what you have.

J-to-the-elous.

#3,781 ·
I love the cage. Wish I'd have put windshield spreaders in, but whatever. Started raining so I'm done. Looks like I'm playing fallout tonight.

#3,784 ·
Lol actually I sold them forever ago to a buddy. His jeep killed two of them. Jerry helped him change them out and he left one at the house. It's been fun to roll it under the jeep.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.