Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
636K views 5K replies 220 participants last post by  JK08JK 
#1 · (Edited)
Firstly, I would like to thank Pat (Nevermonday) and Blaine (mrblaine) for all of their help with all of my questions, the phone calls, and everything else. Without those two, I'd be clueless. Also a big thanks to Robert, Rod, Jerry, Connor, Chris, Marty, and Mike. For all of the help so far, and all the work that you'll help me with that you don't know about yet. :) Also, thank you to Idaho Jeep, thedirt, jason m, Jerry Bransford, and anyone else that I may have missed. There have been tons of people on here who have given me plenty of advice (not that I listened to all of it ;) ) but I think I've got what I want figured out now with everyones help. So, cheers to you. :cheers:

I started ordering parts today for my build, so I thought I'd go ahead and make a thread. There won't be any actual building until I get home from Kuwait, but until then, I figure someone may want to look in on what I'm up to.

If I had any idea how much things would change.... lol... yeah... I edited the first post because I saw how wrong it was after not being changed for like 2 years. Anyways, the Jeep changes a lot in this thread. Enjoy the read, and the banter. There's lots of that. Lots and lots of that.

#71 ·
Thanks. I'm in sales. The trick is all in your preparation. I've shaved about 3 grand off of my original build cost so far. Of course, I'm just turning around and buying more **** with the money I'm saving, so it's not really saving anything :(

#73 ·
Paid for my Shocker S4 train horns today :shhh: They ship monday. I got a good deal off of a guy on www.Trainhornforums.com. They are normally 275 pre shipping. I got them for 210 shipped. I've seen videos with these things and they are unreal. I can't imagine them in person. And you can bet your *** I'm going to have a trucker pull chain to let them loose. Childish? Sure. Fun? You are damned right.

I still need to get in touch with Brian to see about pricing on the new lift route. I tried to call yesterday but he was out. And they were closed today. So, I'll try tomorrow again and see if I can find anything out.

#75 ·
The guy I bought them from has another set still, 210 shipped. You just need a compressor/tank. If you've got OBA, or plan to have it in the future, its a hell of a deal.

#76 ·
james, i searched for the superwinch epi 9.0 a few weeks ago and guess where it popped up?..............the home depot! (someone mentioned you work there) i work for another *cough, cough* big *** home improvement store and i am going to try and special order a winch through them, cost +10%. might look into that.

#77 ·
I do work at the Depot, but honestly, with the deal I found on the Warn winch, I hesitate to look at anything else. Yeah warn is a little more expensive, but for that price, I'd be stupid not to just get the M8000. BTW, I get no discount at work, however, we do get pretty ridiculous deals from time to time. Like the 5 piece 18v cordless tool set I got for 40 bucks. Thems is my trail tools just in case. Good luck getting your winch man. Hope it works out.

#78 · (Edited)
In light of some recent revelations, I'm deciding to change a few things up. Those that have followed along, knew of some build plan changes, but I'm going to keep updating my first post where I talked about what my plans were to keep people straight. That link can be found here...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6595048&postcount=1

#81 ·
No problem man.

Hey James, I'd hold off on buying the gears, go though Sunfire if you plan on having them do the work. Most shops wont warranty the work unless you buy the gears from them, and you don't want 4 Wheel Parts doing that work, they *** rape you on labor.:thumbdown:
Well, next time you are up there, do me a favor and find out if they sell Superior? If they do, then no problem. If not, then they'll be installing the gears I bring in.

#80 ·
Hey James, I'd hold off on buying the gears, go though Sunfire if you plan on having them do the work. Most shops wont warranty the work unless you buy the gears from them, and you don't want 4 Wheel Parts doing that work, they *** rape you on labor.:thumbdown:

#82 ·
Good advice - thats what I did, I bought my gears from 4 Wheel Parts who also did the install. As far as getting "raped" on labor... It might depend on your shop I guess. I paid $441 for the gear and locker locker install to both axles - less expensive than the other shops I called. They did a good job for me and I am happy with their work.

FYI I did take them my axles off of the jeep which helped my price.

#85 ·
Alrighty then, I spose I can wait. Though I doubt they'll get them cheaper than the 169 I found them for. We'll see though. Thanks for the heads up guys.

#86 ·
Oh yeah, I bought my muffler and tip today. I'll be painting the tip. I'll not have chrome dirtying up my pretty Jeep.

I went with the Flowmaster Delta Force Single Chamber Muffler (2 1/2" Inlet x 2 1/2" Outlet) and Flowmaster Rolled Edge Tip (2 1/2" Inlet x 4" Outlet). I've heard the Super 44s and while I like the sound, I just wanted a little more. I've been eyeing this for a while, and after hearing the video for it, I decided I liked it better. I know it wont sound the same as in the video. But worst case scenario, it's a $70 mistake. Not that I want to throw 70 bucks away, but it's not the end of the world. The tip, I can reuse regardless. And really, as obnoxious as I'll be with my train horns, I can't see a little loud exhaust bothering me. :) For once being almost deaf (Thanks Navy) might give me an advantage.

#91 ·
I'll pass on the muffler Jerry. I'm sure I'll get it broke in just fine. I would suggest not buying one though until you hear it. I liked it much better than the super 44's when I heard the video clip.

I have nightmares about coming home expecting to see a pile of parts and instead seeing yours and Rod's rigs all upgraded. I'd hate to go back to prison... But it would be worth it for the Jeep.

#93 ·
LOL. I know man, I was just screwing around.

I am planning on starting to buy the suspension parts out of this next check on the 1st. Unless something comes up, that's next up on the block.

#94 · (Edited)
Well, instead of suspension stuff, I decided I'm going to get the winch out of the way since I found it for even cheaper than on the morris4x4 site. I found the Warn M8000 for $549 from Motion Offroad. So I'll have 4wp pricematch that. I REALLY doubt I'll find it any cheaper. I'm also going to order the Rokmen Up-armor package 1 (Engine and Trans skid) and order their steering box skid as well. With what's left, I'll probably pick up the OBA.

I also changed my mind on the front JKS track bar in light of Mudb8's latest thread. Since I'll be running the Riddler Diff guard, the JKS will probably hit. After seeing the issues others have had, I'm just going to run the Rock Krawler trackbar with the extended bracket instead. It's beefy as hell and is about the same price.

Updating the build list to reflect current plans.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6595048&postcount=1

I also added prices I paid so far, and prices that I've found for current items. Enjoy.

#95 ·
Just to let you know I want to grab your HP30 before I take my 44 to the blasters, I want to have them both done at the same time, may be able to save a little money that way.

#96 ·
That's cool man. I've got a little while before I come home still.

#98 ·
Found a bracket to replace the stock tire carrier that won't give under the weight of an oversize tire. After talking to the company for a few days now, I feel pretty confident in it and am going to give it a whirl. They put 36" IROKs on it, no reason my Pitbull won't fit. The only thing that sucks is that I'll have to figure out something for the 3rd brakelight.

http://www.4wheelcustoms.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=158266

So that, with the winch, which was 599, not 549, I apologize... the OBA, and Rokmen steering skid, along with the eng/trans skid combo.

If I've got money left, I'll get the mounting plate and winch cover, and other diff cover.

I am not happy about what shipping is going to be on the Rokmen stuff. If they'll do a military discount, that would help offset it, but I'm not going to pay full price. I'll buy a used one somewhere, or go another route entirely before I pay full price + shipping. I have no tolerance for companies that won't work with the military. Unfortunately Redrock4x4 doesn't do a military discount either. Although Jason at Redrock was good to work with, it would have been nice to get something off when I'm calling up to drop a grand.

Side rant... a 10% discount for military is kinda the standard, but that's the standard for damn near any kind of discount. I mean, it's kinda ****ty really, it kinda demeans the value of the discount you know? I'm grateful that the companies think to offer it but really (though I'm sure most offer it out of the want to capture more business), if I was just a *****y customer, I could still get 10% off. Anyways, rant over.

#99 ·
Picked up the tire carrier bracket from 4 Wheel Customs. I'm pretty excited about that. It's the perfect solution for me until I can build my own. The guy that I was talking to about it runs 36x13.50 Iroks and he's had one sitting on the back of his tailgate on that bracket for 3+ years. If it works that well, I may not even build a swingout, and just build a regular bumper. I can always add a swingout to it later.

AND

Brinks at the Indy 4wp took care of me for...(Names in parenthesis is where I price-matched to)

-Riddler D30 cover- 104.99 (Motion Offroad)
-ViAir Constant Duty Onboard Air System- 349.99 (Morris 4x4 Center)
-JKSmfg 1.25" B1 Body lift- 109.95 (northridge)
-JKS Rear Adjustable Trackbar- 136.95 (northridge)
-Warn M8000 Winch- 579.95 (Motion Offroad)
-Warn Winch Soft Cover (For Warn Larger Winches)- 50.99 (Morris 4x4 Center)

1314.02 after it was all said and done (for product details see first post in thread). Not bad at all. :drool: That's about $2150ish in parts depending where you are pricing. The Deal King strikes again. Only bad news so far today aside from Rokmen (see below), is that 4wp can't get me the Rock Krawler Trackbar. I'll have to order that through someone else, but I've already found a place, and they are running a 10% off sale (now to call and see if they'll let me double dip on the discounts). :D

I have yet to get Rokmen to pick up their phone. Or return my call with an email (I'm not stupid enough to think anyone is going to call internationally just to get a sale). I'll give them until Saturday evening my time... Then I'm going to find someone else to go with.

Also, updated the list on page one.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...48&postcount=1

#101 ·
Brinks is about the only sensible guy I have spoke with out at the 4wp in town. seems to be a good guy.

How much did you pay for that tire carrier bracket? Im gonna need a spare before I can foot the bill for a tire carrier
64.79 After Tax/Shipping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.