Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-18-2009, 03:21 AM   #121
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

And just for fun here is a pic of my "main" frame getting sandblasted... (thats mine that is getting blasted in this pic... my buddies FJ40 frame is the one on the right... now his was RUUUUUSTTYYY....

chocflip201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #122
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright well I got the frame rust spot all taken care of.... here are the rest of the pics of the process.. (there's quite a few so I'll keep them small)...

__________________________________________________ _______

Phase 2- Reconstruction...

-------------

So I started off by re-making the pattern of what I cut out yesterday and cut out the male-copy of it out of some good metal from a spare straight section of the other frame...

And then cut them out...

-------------

And then broke out the ever so useful sandblaster and blasted the paint/surface rust off of them...

Then threw on a coat of paint inside and out... It's just something I do... (I wanted to prevent as much rusting from the inside-out as possible...)
-------------

Then fine-tuned the edges with a flap wheel until I was content with the fit and finish... (I did a little more grinding after these pictures were taken to make that seam fit better that you can see it is a little higher on the left of the pictures)...

Drivers side------------------------------------Passenger side

*I also beveled all of the edges so that the weld bead strength would be retained when I buff off the crown of the bead*
-------------

So this was the first task for the new MIG... and after some tuning in on the settings... the weld bead turned out okay.. my welds will definately improve after some more use with this machine.. I usually can do a really good bead...

More in one second...

Last edited by chocflip201; 03-18-2009 at 10:24 PM..
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #123
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Then I buffed down the crowns of the beads... and then sandblasted it again to remove flap-wheel disc marks.. and then threw on a coat of rustoleum!
-----------------------

Here is the turnout, its nearly impossible to tell that any work has even been done here..-- (the paint was still kinda wet in these pics, thats why its a slightly different color)

*And just to repeat myself. This area WILL GET REINFORCED TO PREVENT A WEAK LINK!!!
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #124
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the "main" frame... as you can see I only sandblasted up to the "bend" ... that's all I needed... then after it was sandblasted it too got a few healthy coats of rustoleum...

*Oh, you can also see that all of the leaf spring brackets, and motor mounts, and shock mounts have been removed and buffed off...
Unread 03-20-2009, 02:16 AM   #125
frontlinedude
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, I like following your build. Keep us updated!
35"x13.5 Toyo Open Country M/T
Herculined
frontlinedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #126
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics I took today while workin on it... I'm not done for the day.. just taking a dinner break...

- I cut my Z notches on the frame ends getting ready for the inner sleeve... The rear section of the frame with female Z's, and the front section of the frame with male Z's... I knew before hand that I was going to have somewhat of a gap in between the two frames; as there just isn't quite 15" of straight section in the YJ frame... however this will not be a problem w/ an inner sleeve and an external sleeve as I have planned...

----------------------------------------------------------

-This will be at ride height... the frame height in these pictures is sitting at 26" off the ground as I do not have the body lift installed in these pictures... once I get the BL installed the frame will sit at just under 24"... but the body will remain the same height from the ground as it is now....

--------------------------------------------------

- I rolled my spare 14 bolt under the back end just for kicks.. it is on 30" tires so my tires will be 10" closer to the body than these... (taller)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-As you can see the front stock fender at this height has only 43.75" to the ground... I will have tube fenders which will help but still, I won't have more than 7" or so uptravel max... and the rear fender has a little more... but i want a little more uptravel in the rear than the front so that will work out perfect...

-------------------------------------------------

Okay off back to work!
Unread 03-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #127
frontlinedude
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, Its going to be sittin high
Herculined
Unread 03-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #128
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontlinedude View Post
Cool, Its going to be sittin high
Yeah but I'd say the pics make it look higher than it is in real life... the 6" susp. lift and the 2" body lift is only an estimate for right now.. I'm keeping and open mind about how much lift I need. I am only going to use enough lift to achieve;

-enough clearance for the tires to have a minimum of 6" up travel, without getting into rebuilding the rear wheel wells and stuff... (I will be cutting into the hood some to help with clearance)

-enough clearance between the oil pan and the front axle truss & link mounts..

-enough clearance between the floor of the rear cargo area, and the rear axle truss& link mounts...

-enough distance between the floor of the body, and the bottom of the frame, that I can run a flat skid without cutting a hole in my floor and fabbing a new trans cover... anyone know how much body lift is needed to tuck the drivetrain up above the bottom of the frame?
Unread 03-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #129
Brads_nky_yj

Usually only a 1" BL and 1" MML will do the trick.
Unread 03-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #130
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Gonna be a big mother......
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #131
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
Usually only a 1" BL and 1" MML will do the trick.
I've cut off the factory motor mounts as iirc correctly the main frame was a 4-banger frame as the motor mounts were too narrow inwards... Also, I'm moving the engine a little bit farther forward than OEM and doing away with the mechanical fan and running electrical fans so I will incorporate the mml into my new mounts

and yes barrio, it will be bigger than most YJ's ... I ain't a-feared.. ... but in all reality it will be just a "longer wheelbase" version of the Gen-Right Offroad YJ... its belly height is 24" as well... who knows mine might end up around 22"..
Unread 03-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #132
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What is your goal tire size?
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
Barrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #133
frontlinedude
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How come you haven't cut off the remaining metal and completely opened up the rear wheel well?
Herculined
Unread 03-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #134
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrio View Post
What is your goal tire size?
40" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontlinedude View Post
How come you haven't cut off the remaining metal and completely opened up the rear wheel well?
Utah State "Safety Inspections" require that I must have full tire coverage with fenders... and also, I need my tires and my crusher corners (the ones that go all the way from the tailgate to the front doors) yet and I want both of those before I start cutting because I don't want to remove to much material...

Last edited by chocflip201; 03-22-2009 at 02:39 AM..
Unread 03-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #135
buZZBomb_
1988 YJ Wrangler 

those tires are insane,40s ll look awsome.BOOM!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.