Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #46
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well it's tomorrow. Where's the pics?

bebout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 01:03 AM   #47
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebout View Post
Well it's tomorrow. Where's the pics?
lol yeah I was shooting for tomorrow night.. tonight.. whichever ha. I bought some new rechargeable batteries for the new digital cam so now I will have some sweet 8.2 MP hi-res pics from now on. (I'm still up waiting for them to charge so I can unplug them and go to bed.)
chocflip201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 01:09 AM   #48
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can't wait to see this build done. I've been following it, just under the radar. From what I've seen so far I really like it. After I bought my TJ I started thinking and wished I'd bought an LJ instead for the wheelbase and room. I may put the TJ under this same process for the same reasons you have the YJ. Make sure to keep detailed updates of the things you do.
Unread 12-22-2008, 01:18 AM   #49
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't wait to see this build done. I've been following it, just under the radar. From what I've seen so far I really like it. After I bought my TJ I started thinking and wished I'd bought an LJ instead for the wheelbase and room. I may put the TJ under this same process for the same reasons you have the YJ. Make sure to keep detailed updates of the things you do.
The only thing that I think would be more difficult about the TJ, would be the wheel wells. YJ wells are square and flat, and the TJ ones are molded, so I'm not 100% sure on how it would turn out on the inside it'd have to be some pretty awesome metal fab to get it to look semi-unnoticable. . unless you did the stretch either ahead or behind the wells.. I don't have a TJ or LJ to look at to see what could be done.
Unread 12-22-2008, 01:43 AM   #50
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it will be a job in its self, but worth it IMO. I may just do something similar to this. I really want the wheelbase more than room.

Unread 12-22-2008, 04:55 AM   #51
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^Thats wild^^
We need more pics tonight so take plenty.
Unread 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #52
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

K well I know that these few pics aren't really "update" pics but its somethin else to work on too Now I know that most Jeep guys usually hate the TJ's "minivan style chunk of plastic" dash, however I like how it looks, and I want something that will look good and be able to have easy access to switches/radio etc. Don't get me wrong I like how some "flat" dashes look, but this is my build and its what I want. So brown santa brought an early x-mas present from me to me along with some more snow today.

Unread 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #53
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I happen to like that dash
Unread 12-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #54
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I happen to like that dash
Yeah me too. I also figured it would be easier to modify this to my YJ, than it would be to fab up a sheet metal dash. It's out of an '04 TJ and I bought it from another JeepForum member from texas. I think it was like FreakieMonkie087 or someone I don't remember. It will be black though before it is installed..
Unread 12-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #55
UBOHICA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I love this build man....... (we're not worthy, we're not worthy) :bow: :bow: :bow:

I Can't Wait to see this done
UBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #56
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

X2 It is a good one. Crawled.
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #57
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Some UPDATES!! Finally!

NOOOO!!! ah **** I just typed up a huge freakin update and the comp froze up on me when I hit submit reply.... well . here is take two.. suck...

Lets see where was I..

K well, as promised here are some updates. Its time to stretch the hardtop! Here is the hardtop that I picked up, overall its in pretty good shape there is a little bit of damage to the front driverside corner at the windshield frame, but no biggy it is an easy fix. So I brought it in out of the snow and started working on it! (There might be a lot of pictures, so I'm choosing to go one size smaller so its a little quicker to load.)

Here is the damage to the corner.. no biggy.

Okay So I am going to do this update in a few separate posts to help minimize what I would have to retype, again, if the comp dares freeze up, again...
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #58
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So the very first thing I did after pulling it in the garage (and having to pull my fourwheeler out in the snowstorm to make room, thank goodness for covers) was to remove the rear window. I didn't want to risk breaking this so I put it somewhere safe until I need it again. Four bolts later-

Okay so its time to make the first cut, And I'll be honest. its about half as thick of fiberglass as I was expecting, so I will have oodles and oodles of left over glass/resin. Can you say sweet awesome subwoofer box? Killer custom fiberglass hood? maybe even a custom Summer hard-top with no sides or back? seriously, I have lots.

So here is the first cut. I first cut along the top side of the glass, and then taped it with masking tape to ensure that the window wouldn't fall backwards and shatter when I cut the rest of the way around because I want to be able to resell these windows.

So I wanted to make sure I could get these windows out without breaking them, and to not spend a long time doing it. So I just chose to cut around the outside edge of the window, about 1/4" away. (just along the edge of the rubber weatherstripping) and this left an about 1/2'' wide by 1/4" thick strip of fiberglass around each window which will be really easy to remove without breaking the window, in order to resell it.

And the other side cut, now both sides are out and my top is windowless. No turning back now!

Don't worry there is a lot more. This is about how far I made it last time when the comp froze.

Last edited by chocflip201; 12-22-2008 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: Danget wrong pics URL's
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #59
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

2 piece hard-top :)

So time to cut in half. I chose to split the hardtop right in the middle of the window, in the center between the two mounting holes.

Then I chose to go directly vertical of that cut. So I masked out my line that I wanted to cut,

And then I cut! I then moved my new masking lines 2" to either recently cut edge.

Yes, a little more.
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #60
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bevel the edge!

Now I know the question is going to come up, "How are you going to keep it from just cracking where you joined the two pieces together on the old edge?" Well, simple really, with the same method that metal fabricators use to transfer loads across tubing, instead of welding them end to end, they angle the edge! Fiberglass-ers use this same technique. If you bevel the edge of your workpiece, you transfer the load from one point, across a large area to prevent cracking. Basically the reason why double-shear is better than single shear.

Fiberglass-ers have found out that a ratio of about 10:1 or 12:1 bevel works best/strongest. So if your fiberglass is 1/2" thick, then you would bevel the edge back 5-6" along the surface, (see picture) and 1/4" thick? then go 2.5"-3". The Jeep hardtop of the YJ is (surprisingly) only 1/8" thick, so I beveled the edge about 1.5" back (the reason of moving the masking tape back, in the last picture of the last post)

So I used a belt sander to get a nice clean beveled edge.

Here is a side picture. Sorry about the flash white-out its a new camera and I'm still trying to figure out which settings take the best photos etc... I know its kinda hard to see the bevel in this pic because of the flash, but its there and turned out really pretty well. Lots of patience with the belt sander.

Okay so this is about how far I got. I had to go finish up my x-mas shopping and go buy some materials to start laying the fiberglass tomorrow morning. I will be taking my Jeep/Trailer/Mobile-shop-on-wheels down to the company shop while I'm working in this. Enjoy todays update!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.