Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #31
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just out of curiosity, why isn't this thread in the Yj technical forum? This is about as YJ, and technical as it gets..? I just ask because I stumbled across it on accident, because I hang out at the YJ tech forum alot but I rarely check the other forums.

I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #32
Douglas S.

jeep registry is technically the place for this type of thing, not YJ tech
Unread 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #33
bradyman1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My bad. See you gotta ask or you don't know. I learned a new place to hide out at today, Jeep registry. Thanks Douglas
I find that my hobby of strangling people to death really collides with my hobby of not being in prison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duayne77 View Post
I beat my dog every chance I can get, and you know what, I enjoy it.
bradyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #34
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well here goes, my fiberglass came today, however along with the fed-ex man came 4 inches of snow and I'm not sure if I can get a shop to work in just quite yet. But as far as the axle search, I posted on a local classefied site "Wanted. Ford Kingpin D60" and I recieved quite a few calls. Two calls were outrageously priced (2,600 and 1,200) and one caller said he had 4 that I could choose from, I got there this morning and none were kingpin.. grr.. and another caller lives about an hour away (when the roads are nice, so i'm expecting 2 hours) and he said $850 for the complete axle. And I have been searching for weeks and weeks on end, every night, multiple hours a night and havn't been able to find anything locally cheaper than 1,000 so I am going to go drive up and check it out and maybe come back with an axle. (I found axles back east like in IW and AL for around 600, but would cost 250 to ship it, and then I would be buying it blind anyways and wouldn't know when it would get here so I opt to spend a little more, and be able to see it first hand before paying. Wish me luck.
chocflip201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #35
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Oh did I say four? I meant 8. eugh it snowed all day long. And even almost had a near death experience today because of it. But it was all worth it, I finally found and bought a '78 D60 Kingpin Smiles all around. except for my wallet.
Unread 12-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #36
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocflip201 View Post
Oh did I say four? I meant 8. eugh it snowed all day long. And even almost had a near death experience today because of it. But it was all worth it, I finally found and bought a '78 D60 Kingpin Smiles all around. except for my wallet.
lucky!!!! i wish i had the need for a front d60

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #37
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, just sold the old D44 Front and the old rear 9"..
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #38
4x4Mudmonster
1985 CJ7 

Looking forward to seeing this thread!! looking good!
Unread 12-20-2008, 12:11 AM   #39
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey everyone thanks for votin my build-up one of the top threads for the week It's a real motivater. Anyways I think I'm finally ready for the next step. So I have been doing my homework for the past few weeks on fiberglass how-to's and proper materials/techniques etc. and I am thinkin that I'm ready to go ahead and stretch the hard-top. Now keep in mind that fiberglass work isn't really meant for cold weather, nor does it sound fun, so I will have to work on this when weather permits. Now the weather says that tomorrow is going to be a pretty good weathered day (the past week has been a nightmare of snow) and so I will probably end up towin my Jeep to a buddies shop to work on the top indoors. (The whole weather permitant thing is I don't really want to tow a trailer with no trailer brakes if there is ice on the roads, especially with my precious Jeep on it. ha) But as far as updates, I bought my 2" body lift that I have been looking for, and normally I would just spend the extra money and buy a product new, but the price was right on this, plus the seller actually delivered it to my house tonight lol. He actually works at a local suspension/ 4wd modification shop and we talked about me getting an internship at his store proffesionally installing lift kits and stuff, (pretty much to learn some tips and techniques, but mostly to get 4wd parts at cost pretty much everything is 30% off of retail.)

Now I know I'm missing a few 2 mounts plus the two front pieces under the grill that go on the sides, but its a good start for a cheap price.
Unread 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #40
CricketKilla
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Which coil over suspension system are you thinking about getting?
Super 30 w/ Detroit Locker, Super 35 w/ Detroit Locker, 4" Suspension and 2" Body, 33"x12.50" w/ Eagle Alloy Series185, 6" Daylighters, Optima Yellow Top, Warn Front Bumper w/ Grill Gaurd, Steering and Diff. Covers
CricketKilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #41
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketKilla View Post
Which coil over suspension system are you thinking about getting?
Either use the new Rancho coilovers because they have an external knob that allows quick adjustment of shock valving, or the ballistic coilovers. I havn't heard much either good or bad about them but they seem like they are a good setup. And coilovers on all four corners, using components from summit machine. but thats still a little ways away so I still have lots of time to ponder.
Unread 12-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #42
DylanAnd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the jeep and a half

i was wondering why would you want an extended jeep?
i mean it would be awesome to say you've done it
and i'm anxiously waiting to see this thing done
but wouldn't it make it harder on trails and all of that?
DylanAnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #43
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanAnd View Post
i was wondering why would you want an extended jeep?
i mean it would be awesome to say you've done it
and i'm anxiously waiting to see this thing done
but wouldn't it make it harder on trails and all of that?
Well I chose to lengthen it for quite a few reasons. Extended wheelbase vehicles are far less likely to roll over backwards/forwards while traversing steep obstacles, they have quite a hefty amount more storage room for say like a small welder, a decent sized on-trail air compressor etc and still have room to have a back seat. As far as them performing worse off-road, that is peoples preference. People usually get short wheelbase vehicles because of two reasons. One, a higher break-over angle (the given term for what a vehicle can cross over a point, without scraping its skid-pans between the axles) But I will have enough lift, and the choice of terrain that I like, that this won't be a problem for me. I'm also incorporating a 2" body lift so that I can tuck my transfer case up higher out of the way. And the second reason people choose a short-wheelbase vehicle is because of turning radius, however again, the type of terrain I like doesn't usually require me to turn on a dime, and I will have a selectable locker in the front, so I'm not worried if I lose a small amount of turning radius.

Another reason why I chose to extend the body is to have a longer rear driveshaft, as because I will have a hefty amount of lift, and I will be running an automatic transmission, which is longer than the manual trans and so therefore I would have an even shorter rear driveshaft. Now I could have just moved the rear axle back and have it stick out a few inches behind the rear bumper, however this wouldn't be street legal.

Plus the simple fact I like the lengthened look of the LJ

K so as far as updates, I have started working on the hard-top. And will have pictures to post definitely tomorrow.
Unread 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #44
DylanAnd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocflip201 View Post
Well I chose to lengthen it for quite a few reasons. Extended wheelbase vehicles are far less likely to roll over backwards/forwards while traversing steep obstacles, they have quite a hefty amount more storage room for say like a small welder, a decent sized on-trail air compressor etc and still have room to have a back seat. As far as them performing worse off-road, that is peoples preference. People usually get short wheelbase vehicles because of two reasons. One, a higher break-over angle (the given term for what a vehicle can cross over a point, without scraping its skid-pans between the axles) But I will have enough lift, and the choice of terrain that I like, that this won't be a problem for me. I'm also incorporating a 2" body lift so that I can tuck my transfer case up higher out of the way. And the second reason people choose a short-wheelbase vehicle is because of turning radius, however again, the type of terrain I like doesn't usually require me to turn on a dime, and I will have a selectable locker in the front, so I'm not worried if I lose a small amount of turning radius.

Another reason why I chose to extend the body is to have a longer rear driveshaft, as because I will have a hefty amount of lift, and I will be running an automatic transmission, which is longer than the manual trans and so therefore I would have an even shorter rear driveshaft. Now I could have just moved the rear axle back and have it stick out a few inches behind the rear bumper, however this wouldn't be street legal.

Plus the simple fact I like the lengthened look of the LJ

K so as far as updates, I have started working on the hard-top. And will have pictures to post definitely tomorrow.

ohhh lol well yea your right just all the trails around here you have to turn on a dime lol. and i could see where it would come in handy to havemore storage cause my wrangler packed pretty quick and i don't even have a back seat but i do think it's amazing what your doing and i'll be checking tomorrow for those pics

you've done very nice work so far keep it up
DylanAnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #45
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not to mention the fact that its a smoother ride quality with a longer wheelbase you dont feel like you're sitting right on top of the rear axle. But I dont think that I will have any problems with this anyways by removing the leaf springs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.