Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #196
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

P.s. I'm not done for the night, still working on it, just taking a dinner break.

chocflip201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #197
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocflip201 View Post
seeing is believing:
Just messing with ya bro. Boatsides look good.
Unread 01-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #198
TippmannA-5
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Chocflip I noticed that you are in utah. I am up in Logan and there is no one to wheel with. Where are you at?
Yellow Jeep Club Member #4.2
Every time a bird craps on my jeep, I sit on my front porch and eat scrambled eggs to show them what i'm capable of!
TippmannA-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #199
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippmannA-5 View Post
Hey Chocflip I noticed that you are in utah. I am up in Logan and there is no one to wheel with. Where are you at?
Pm sent
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #200
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here are the pics of the drivers side boatside. This side turned out a little better than the passenger side, even though the passenger side turned out pretty dang good imho.

Unread 01-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #201
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Also these are the rims I'm using. 2008 H2 17" 8x6.5" (purchased and delivered from Wallysheata, Thanks!) also you can see that I still have to finish putting the clear coat on that top right wheel. They are already bored out in the center to fit over a Ford D60 hub.

Unread 01-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #202
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Frame backhalf part 1

*I take a lot of pictures, sorry 56k interneters!

Well now its time to finish the frame backhalf and the new body mounts, first off I started by cutting off the most rearward body mounts on my frame off.. The black line is the center of the body mount hole (I already wrote down all the dimensions of the location of the body mount hole in relation to the frame)

Then I cut two 20" lengths of 3"x4" rectangle tubing w/ .25" wall thickness

Then I marked out my design, and used an 1.5" diameter hole saw and drilled a hole.

Then I cut out my fishmouth designs.. I did one male fishmouth and one female fishmouth so I can further space out my welding surface and minimize any chance of shear on my frame. In this picture you can see how much of the existing YJ frame will get sleeved with the new frame material. (this is directly above will be placed.

and with some persuasion I coaxed in into its place.. this isn't exactly quite where it will be sitting but it is really close, for illustration purposes anyways.

In this bird's eye picture you can see in the right side of the picture there is a gap between the YJ frame and the male fishmouth, this was done on purpose so that I can pinch that together with a C-clamp and get some welding surface around the corner of the bend.

I'm not quite done with working on this piece, I just wanted to take some pics to show you what I've been working on today. As you can see (in green) I am going to add some more 1.5" holes for rosette welds just for extra strength. (as they say, overkill is underrated.) I will be building the rest of my frame off of these new pieces.

Unread 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #203
honda250ex
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice progress.. can't wait to see the final result when its done.
Unread 01-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #204
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda250ex View Post
Nice progress.. can't wait to see the final result when its done.
Thanks me too, expect to see a pretty cool update tomorrow night, I would have had some Saturday night but a certain shop in my area wasn't open on weekends so I had to wait until tomorrow (monday)
Unread 01-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #205
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

so not quite the update I had expected to give you guys, I took my pieces to the local fab shop to get these put in the press brake, but the operator didn't quite get them all bent up before they closed tonight because he had to swap out his dies I guess. I forgot to snap a picture of the brackets before I took them to the shop so I snapped one with my cell phone on the way up.

I also took my polyeurethane body mount bushings to my friend who has a lathe and he will mill 1/4" off of them. You'll see why soon.

And I bought me a new pair of black "racing" seats that will look sweet in the jeep. Pics soon.
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #206
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

looks like its coming along nicely i cant Waite to stretch mine
Unread 01-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #207
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Picked up the newly bent body mount brackets. These brackets will yield me 2" of body lift, without having to use the unsafe 2" body lift "puck" spacers.

The reasons why I chose to do a 2" body lift are:

- get all the drivetrain up above the bottom of the framerails so I can run a flat-bellied skidplate without having to cut into the floor of the body and fabricate a new transmission tunnel.
- get some more room for enough separation of my 4-link bars on the frame end so I don't have to cut into the body for link clearance.
- more tire clearance from the body
- more axle truss clearance from the body

I got everything tacked up for tonight and tomorrow I will roll the frame under the body and double check all my holes line up and then burn them in for good.

Unread 01-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #208
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You must have a plasma cutter. Now don't go and get married or anything silly like that...you're on a roll now!
shoreline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #209
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
You must have a plasma cutter. Now don't go and get married or anything silly like that...you're on a roll now!
Nope no plasma cutter just an oxy/acetalyne torch. And nope no girlfriend anymore, just a jeep
Unread 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #210
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the lack of pics these last few days. My buddy has dropped the ball on my body mount bushings and has put them off to where thats what I'm waiting on.

I should get them tomorrow and then I can get onto the frame back-half.

P.s. this is what color code I've been thinking about... good ol' "General Lee" Orange.. (don't know the real name of the paint color)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.