Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project "YJ Unlimited" Build-Up

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #166
corndogduff

That has got to be the best place I've ever seen someone put a media blaster in my life.

UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #167
Geister

this is pretty much my favorite build on here. great job and keep up the good work.
Geister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 02:59 AM   #168
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geister View Post
this is pretty much my favorite build on here. great job and keep up the good work.
Thanks! Yeah hopefully this will be an ultimate jeep that will stand out from all the others and will have a reliable enough drivetrain/fabwork that it will last me dozens of years without dissapointment.
chocflip201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #169
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

@ chocflip201 - My buddy in NY is doing a similar build but his is going to be much BIGGER than yours. We put the almost the whole second tub onto his tub to make a 4 door YJ. Its on a 1970 Chevy frame and 2.5 ton rock wells, 12" chevy leaf springs and 56" military tires. Ill get ya a pic soon as we arent posting anything till were done. Should be all done, driven for our spring mudd fun in Late May.

And i love seeing your project. Amazing what jeep people will do....
hesserdude07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #170
woodkrawler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

that media blaster is sweet!
woodkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #171
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesserdude07 View Post
@ chocflip201 - My buddy in NY is doing a similar build but his is going to be much BIGGER than yours. We put the almost the whole second tub onto his tub to make a 4 door YJ. Its on a 1970 Chevy frame and 2.5 ton rock wells, 12" chevy leaf springs and 56" military tires. Ill get ya a pic soon as we arent posting anything till were done. Should be all done, driven for our spring mudd fun in Late May.

And i love seeing your project. Amazing what jeep people will do....
Yeah I wanted something a little more streetable than pinion brakes and 56's. although a good looking 4dr YJ would be sweet! there is that company that specializes in 4 door wranglers but they look like poo. the best looking 4 door (pre-JK unltd) wrangler that I've seen is FlatFender51 (iirc)... that burnt orange TJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkrawler View Post
that media blaster is sweet!
Thanks! yeah I think I am gonna whore it out locally and make a little side cash to blast some peoples stuff.
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:01 AM   #172
corndogduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocflip201 View Post

Thanks! yeah I think I am gonna whore it out locally and make a little side cash to blast some peoples stuff.
You might just have a customer
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #173
shoreline
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How did the hardtop stretch turn out? I don't think I have seen another pic of it since it was slathered in resin. Nice build - keep up the great work
shoreline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 05:14 AM   #174
jeepwrnglr92
2013 JK Wrangler 

this build is great. I keep coming back to it every so often to see what been done. Keep it up.
Unread 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #175
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreline View Post
How did the hardtop stretch turn out? I don't think I have seen another pic of it since it was slathered in resin. Nice build - keep up the great work
The hardtop so far turned out pretty awesome! I like the looks of it a lot better than if I had gone with an LJ hardtop, I think the lines of it fits the YJ body style better this way, its not all the way finished yet, I still have to cut out the holes and put in the LJ windows and get them mounted in but I figured that the hardtop could wait for a little while and I should get going on better stuff and finish it up on some downtime.

So got the engine block and the cylinder head back from the machine shop today. They hot-tanked the block and the cylinder head, and shot-peened the cylinder head and magnafluxed the block and the head to check for any cracks. Total came to $60. (I sold the throttle body spacer and the cone filter that came with this engine for $60 so technically the cleaning was free ) With the shot-peen job on the cylinder head it looks better than new!

Now I will port, polish and gasket match the intake and exhaust channels on the cylinder head.
Unread 02-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #176
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuffers View Post
You might just have a customer
Feel free to PM me for info! If it can fit in my blast cabinet I'll blast it for ya... Crushed walnut shells, glass beads, aluminum oxide, baking soda you name it!

I'm also thinking about investing in the DIY powdercoat system for powdercoating small parts myself.
Unread 02-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #177
chocflip201
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So i have spent the last 3 hours working on the port and polish job on the cylinder head.

Here is some pictures of how much material I've had to remove to get the ports to match the gasket.. as you can see, the intake ports (rectangle) have a lot less material needing removal than the exhause ports (round.)

I have all of the ports gasket matche and tapered in quite beautifully, and I am working on porting the rest of the intake and exhaust channels but I have to call it a night for tonight until I can go to Home Depot in the morning and get a different dremel attachment that so that I can finish up. I will definitely have the port and polish done by tomorrow and will post up the pictures.
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #178
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

blasting cabinet in the living room, engine block on the kitchen counter...

I like the way you think!

(subscribing)

keep up the good work!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #179
hookedupinc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sub...scribed....
Unread 05-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #180
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

this is an awesome build! ive been thinking about making my yj into a ylj. keep up the good work!
1990offroadYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.