Project YJ; learning on the go! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project YJ; learning on the go!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Project YJ; learning on the go!

So this is my YJ build. I started it on Wrangler Forum but I usually get more info from Jeep Forum so I converted over to here and I am going to give a super detailed recap of where I am at now

Toxic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

this was the first day when i went to look at it, but the price was to high so i decided to sit back and wait, and eventually the guy lowered the price, and i went back and got it... this is a picture of how it looked that day

Unread 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

33s, with a 31" spare, shackle/suspension lift, k/c cold air intake, 2.5L 4cyl, new paint, half top, half doors, no back seat, no carpet, rough wired KCs on the front, and plenty of other bad stuff. but its my first jeep, and I was so excited to get to work. First thing I did when I got home was try to fit the soft top on it (it came with a top, just no hardware or back window) and I quickly learned I needed hardware for that to work so for most of that summer I just ran no top, and put the soft top on without hardware as a bad weather top

Unread 04-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

once i got it home i realized how bad it really was... the 4cyl still haunts me to this day, the engine had some sort of problem where it would randomly shut off, the wiring harness was all messed up, the front axle didnt connect in 4wd, ect. but ill get to all that...

The very top picture is how it looked when the softop was on. It barely fit and I could not drive it with the softop on
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

around this time it started randomly shutting off on me, so i decided to change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and coolant. took it for a test drive, and it continued to die. so i checked all the wires, spark plugs, distributor, ect. nothing. eventually i took it to the mechanic out of frustration, and he said they found a piece of wood jammed into something that was causing it to shut off when it over heated or something

I wish I had taken pictures of that and seen what he was referring to but I did not. I was just happy to be able to drive again
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

after i fixed it i decided to celebrate, and got my friend who has a stock tj, and found a little bit off mud, and such and took it to the trails

Unread 04-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

at this point i found a soft top frame on craigslist, and decided to go buy it. i got it, no problem, put it on the jeep no problem, and tried to attach the top to it... apparently there is multiple soft top hardware for yjs... we learn something new every day. lovely. so i dumped it in the garage. also around this time i drove home from work with no top on, and it rained. decided i needed a top, and instead of screwing with the soft top again i decided i would try to get a hardtop.

The hardware came with a gray soft top, but it didnt have windows and I didnt like the gray so I didnt want to put it on. I also never put my half top back on for a while, even though it kept raining. Looking back, that was one of my dumber moves
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i talked to a fellow jeeper on wrangler forum; he lived in PA, and he had a white hardtop that he said he didnt use and he would sell it to me for $250 if i drove up there to get it. so i got my father to borrow his friends truck, borrow his other friends trailer, and we set out at 4am, got there at about 2pm, picked up the top, turned around and drove back. we got back at around 10, reattached the seal on the bottom, cleaned it, got new bolts, and put the top on finishing at about midnight. here is a picture of how it looked right then, and then the next day...

Unread 04-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

once i got the top on i went to my friends house to show him, and he has a pond in his front yard. he guaranteed me the jeep could go through, so i decided to try it out. i put it in 4hi and attempted to drive straight through. 4hi isn't the way to go. i got stuck very fast, and didn't know about 4lo. also at this point i had no recovery points, so i was in trouble. luckily he had a suburban, and a tow strap, so we tied it to the front axle, and pulled it out.

unfortunately i have no pictures of the recovery because it was dark out, but i have a pic the next day at the car wash...

Also another note. My front axle was not engaging because the vacume hose that operated the shift fork was broken. At the time I did not know this, and I had no idea how to work 4wd so I just thought I was doing it wrong. I later did go back and conquer the pond... but that is much later...

Unread 04-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Shortly after that my wiring harness failed. not a great day. the mechanics couldn't fix it for about 2 weeks, because neither me nor them knew it was the wiring harness...

Unread 04-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

once i got it back i decided i needed a back seat... so i forum hunted until i found NHrubicon who happened to have a spare yj back seat that he sold to me for $25, but he did not have the brackets. out of luck, another member saw this post, and sent me a spare pare of brackets he had for $10 shipping costs. so i got my back seat for $35 once complete...

How this worked out: he lived in NH and I have family up there that visits me in the Carolinas regularly so they picked it up for me and brought it down with them. I lucked out!
Unread 04-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #12
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

then the interior needed a change so i bedlined it. started work at 10am

12am the next morning, we finnished...
Unread 04-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #13
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

at this point i had been running half doors with the full surrounds that had the angled corners rather than circular, so they didnt fit right, and with the winter it was getting cold so i began looking around for full doors until i found a set of cj7 doors, in very rough condition, but they were for $120 so i bought them.
Unread 04-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #14
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

this is where i started to actually 'build' anything
Unread 04-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #15
Toxic94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

heres the short not of the doors... i got them with lots of rust, so i sanded them, bondo'd them, steel brushed them with the drill bit, painted over the rust with rust paint, primed them, then painted them

they came out good i think... Recently the bottoms have been rusting out so I am getting ready to weld them up some more

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.