Project Wrong way. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Wrong way.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I decided I wanted hard doors, so I did a little horse trading with my half doors with soft uppers, plus a small pistol, and wound up with some hard doors for my heep.

Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I hunted the interweb trying to find just the right turn signals for my tube fenders, and I finally found these thanks to another forum member:

Unread 11-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a few of my future upgrades:
Currie front upper and lower control arms and axle housing kit:

Dana 30 High pinion axle, soon to be stuffed with a locker and alloy axle shafts and 4:88 gears to match my rear.

Unread 11-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

And A few more parts I have that I still need to install..
Currie progressive 4" springs front and rear, Currie bump stop kits front and rear, OME steering stabilizer, and UCF 3/8" aluminum ultra high clearance tummy tuck...

Unread 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I went over to Rocko's today and we installed fy front upper and lower Currie control arms, the pics suck, I took a bunch more pictures, but for some reason my phone doesn't save all of them.

With the use of Rocko's air tools the install was super easy! The old control arms were pretty badly worn out, driving home with the new control arms was awesome! The steering tightened up really nicely, no more lane wander!!! And we haven't even installed the axle housing kit yet either. I was afraid I was going to get Death Wobble like Blaine did when he replaced all the joints except the front uppers, but my Jeep handled beautifully on the way home, and that's WITHOUT a steering stabilizer!

I give the Currie front control arms two thumbs up!
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #21
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Heck yeah, parts of it remind me of what ive been doing lately...
Unread 11-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #22
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
Heck yeah, parts of it remind me of what ive been doing lately...
Yeah, I noticed you were doing the Currie upgrade as well. How's it working with your other brand uppers?
Unread 11-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #23
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a better view of the Currie arms installed.

This is the bushing tower that will be getting modified with the Currie axle housing kit.

Since I was parked next to Rocko's Jeep I had to get a pic side by side of course.

Unread 11-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #24
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

First the control arm must be removed,

Then Rocko marked the lines to guide our cuts.

All marked out:

I cut one side of the braket, then handed the sawzall over to Rocko so I could snap a few pics.

After the top of the bushing tower had been removed, I cleaned up the edges of the remaining bracket with a 4" grinder to be ready for Rocko to burn in the Currie kit.

Then I cleaned up the Currie axle housing kit passenger side bracket to be welded in place, it gets welded on both sides, and the rear, to the modified factory bracket.

Unread 11-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #25
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the other side of the Currie bushing tower cleaned and ready to be welded.

I disconnected my battery cables ready for welding, and Rocko disconnected the computer plugs for extra insurance to hopefully not have any issues afterwards.

The Currie bushing tower held in place with a medium sized C-clamp ready to be welded into place.

And here it is all welded up!

And with the control arm reinstalled, and shot with a quick coat or rustoleum rust preventative black paint.

The install took a little while because the welder wasn't working correctly, and we wanted to make sure that the bushing inside the Johnny Joint didn't melt due to heat from being welded, so Rocko welded a little bit, then we let it cool for 15 minutes or so, then welded a bit more, etc etc... at the end of it all the Johnny Joint was still nice and tight, and everything seems to be in good working order.
So now all I have left is the on bushing on the top of the dif to replace, and all 8 of my forwards bushings will be Currie. I can already swear that I'm a convert, even though I have one more bushing to install, my Jeep handles and steers way more responsive and precise than it did before!
Unread 11-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #26
rocko-n-miss
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The last picture didn't post, of the completed job. Dana 60 was a bust! It was in way sad shape, and wasn't kingpin outters.

2003 TJ, 1" body, 33X12.5 Swamper IROK's, Rampage top,

Last edited by rocko-n-miss; 11-26-2011 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: misspelled
rocko-n-miss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #27
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko-n-miss View Post
The last picture didn't post, of the completed job. Dana 60 was a bust! It was in way sad shape, and wasn't kingpin outters.
I see all the pics when I view it? Try refreshing the page maybe? The last pic was the one with the arm installed and the paint. I wrote a bit more after that but no more pics.

Sucks about the D60, was it a Ford axle at least? The ball joint d60 ford axles use unit bearings like the D30 does, but it's still a good strong axle. The ford ball joint d60 is still a high pinion drivers side drop, the only problem is it's really tight between the hogshead and the steering knuckle which makes it difficult to get a coil spring mount/sway bar link mount/shock mount all installed and working correctly, but I hear it can be done. Those axles work well for people converting over to coil springs as well. If you decide that you don't want it ask the guy if he'd be interested in some horse trading, if he says he might be ask him to text me and I'll see if I can work a deal with him.

Thanks!
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #28
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Yeah, I noticed you were doing the Currie upgrade as well. How's it working with your other brand uppers?
i havent gotten to drive it enough yet to find out..lol

great pics guys good work
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #29
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRHD View Post
i havent gotten to drive it enough yet to find out..lol

great pics guys good work
You posted that it got rid of your DW right? I'd say that's an improvement, lol!
Unread 11-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #30
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yep it did and thats wonderful. I also found that my front ds is bent so that could be my vibration problem..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.