Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Project Unicorn

674 views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  SouthSeaPirate 
#1 ·
Suppose I get to finally start my own build thread after all these years on car forums.
Think Ill start at the beginning; which will hopefully explain the project name :D

So way back I decided I wanted to get back into a Jeep. Something about the 4.0 and good ol' simple, practical, and modular Jeeps.
I also decided I wanted the best; so it was 4.0, 4x4, NBS, and MANUAL!
Turns out that is VERY hard to find!!!

So during a year of searching (yes really, I had to get rides to get about or borrow the better half's Firebird), I gave up and started looking for other cheap SUV's with the same drivetrain; manual, 4x4, etc. Sometimes I would bend and go look at XJ's with autos or 2.5l but would always come home empty handed. Buddy told me to give up as I was "destined for a pink tricycle with rainbow tassels". So I did when I came across a 97 Rodeo; V6, 4x4, manual for only $1k. After much debate with the owner I found out he had just left for college the week prior and would still have to unpack to find the title. The truck was still only a couple hours away at his fathers home, so I could still see it, buy it , get it. After a couple of weeks he determines the title is lost and applies for lost title. Few weeks later his father gets the title and then he mails to the son. So after much time has past we finally get all situated; father now has signed title in hand! I am determined to get this thing, I am committed! Out of just random curiosity, I decide to check Craigslist one more time before heading out. Mind you this is over a year of searching on CL across the state on nearly an everyday basis. And the literal minute before stepping out of the office door to get another vehicle, I finally see my Unicorn!

Two hours later and $1400 poorer;

Cruise control, power mirrors, power windows, keyless entry, full power moonroof, Chrysler 8.25, and coil over plugs ignition. Even harder to find - Zero rust!

See less See more
#2 ·
Clutch had always been crazy stiff. And on my way back from vacation; boom goes throwout bearing!
Turns out the shaft the TB rides on actually broke in half; -$200, install -$500, and the tires right before the trip -$700.
About two weeks later, I drop a core plug and overheat BADLY before I even notice anything has happened :(

Core plug;

Galled Cyl #2

Lets not forget the core and evap install just before the trip;

So far, she hates me...

#5 ·
Progress has been made!

Now to get a new alternator, somehow this one is completely locked up and the case itself is broken. Wonder if the ZJ one would work... Ill compare

Little ticked the shop the installed the clutch not only reused the E-torx (after telling them to replace them), but also nearly stripped them out. Hopefully I can find replacements today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.