Project Ton Ton - 1 Ton Cherokee HP60/14b - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Ton Ton - 1 Ton Cherokee HP60/14b

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 11-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #76
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Old crossmember just wasn't working out.
Made a new one today.

2"x2"x1/4" wall tube, 1/4" mount flange, 1/8" inner frame plating (w/ 3/16" TnT stiffeners on the outside), crush sleeves for the bolts, and the tranny mount is 1/4", but will have gussets (like a drawbridge) to cradle it, not comfortable with just leaving it hanging out there.

Also want to make a mini skid, just like 1/2" high, to protect the bolt heads. It's pretty much dead flat.

Misc pics:

Aaand my list of things still to do:

Unread 11-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #77
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Where are you going to hang your suspension links?

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #78
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl View Post
Where are you going to hang your suspension links?
The lowers will be on the frame rail, unfortunately. I just don't have the room to mount them up inside the rail, I'd have to clearance the frame/floorboard. I also didn't want to have the links on the crossmember, just for ease of maintenance.

The upper will be plated all up on the inside, and will reside in part of the passenger's foot area.

I don't really expect to get hung up on the lower brackets, they have an inherent skid design to them. It's crossmembers that really hang you up. It's an unfortunate compromise, but I think I can live with it.

The lowers will also have a 20 degree bend so that I have clearance for almost full lock turning. Or at least... that's the goal.
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #79
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

looking good!!! that's a longggggggg list on the whiteboard lol.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #80
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ View Post
looking good!!! that's a longggggggg list on the whiteboard lol.
Thanks!

And it's even longer in my head.. I just stopped writing. Not to mention short items on the list like "assemble 60", which is a bit more than a one liner. Hah.

Finished up for tonight, spat out a few gussets and burned them in. I don't make the prettiest welds, but SMAW doesn't always look as pretty as GMAW. I reinforced it pretty strongly though. It shouldn't move unless I take a pretty hefty 4 wheel hop onto it.

I could have left it in the vise, but I wanted that milestone feeling, so I bolted it up and it's holding the weight of the trans now. Of course, the frame stiffeners aren't welded, the inner stiffeners aren't welded, the crush sleeves aren't welded... Whatever.

Of course, it's starting to snow here. Horrible timing. I absolutely despise driving my car in snow. RWD with summer tires. Boo-urns. My girlfriend lives out in the boonies a bit where they get a bit more snow, and don't plow.., and because of it I can't even pick her up. Excuse to work on the Jeep instead?
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #81
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I threw out the poster board list 2 months ago. I feel ya bud.

keep on keeping on, itll be worth it in the end.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 05:40 AM   #82
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc View Post
The lowers will be on the frame rail, unfortunately. I just don't have the room to mount them up inside the rail, I'd have to clearance the frame/floorboard. I also didn't want to have the links on the crossmember, just for ease of maintenance.
I think mine are going to end up on the frame rail also. Still trying to figure out how I want to do my crossmember and upper link mount.....

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #83
NHJeep4x4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
I threw out the poster board list 2 months ago. I feel ya bud.

keep on keeping on, itll be worth it in the end.
Good advice. The more I think about what needs to be done on mine, the more overwhelming it feels. One part at a time!
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #84
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl View Post
I think mine are going to end up on the frame rail also. Still trying to figure out how I want to do my crossmember and upper link mount.....
Well, my crossmember was a second version.. the first would have actually been stronger, and I could have mounted links off it, but it just didn't work out with the taller AX15.

The upper link for me, like I said, is going to cut into the passenger compartment.. getting strength from it will be an endeavour.

Had to get the Jeep out of the garage so I could clean it out..

So that got interesting.

BMWs. Not just for looking like a ******bag.

Without control arms, of course, the axle wanted to jam into the fenders.
So I made a super duper technical axle holding apparatus. IE a scrap piece of steel.
Don't you just love that pinion angle and coil angle?

With the front accidentally "stretched" like 4 inches, whoopsies.
All that mess needs to gooooooo...
Unread 11-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #85
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Build turned out great. Go wheel that ****!
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #86
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sun was going down so we stopped progress for today, but we started in on the stiffeners finally! One side is almost done.

Using 3/32 7018 rods at like 90-105 amps. Blew threw a couple times, but it's all getting filled up. Not a big issue. Wirefeed of course would have been easier.

Goofing around at the end.. was getting cold out.
Phone doesn't like taking pictures at night.

Unread 11-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #87
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, got the driver side done, and the passenger side 30% done. The insides still need to be done. I filled one of the holes on each side just to hold it there. Theeennn the front frame plating, and the horns in between those two pieces will need to get done. It's been pretty cold out. Not bad, just annoying enough to not want to be out for too long.

Doing everything with a 220v stick welder sure made it a little more interesting. Some holes did definitely get blown through the frame. It's patched up and all, but very annoying nonetheless. And certainly not pretty. But everything will get ground down and you won't know it.

So I'll repeat, as many others have said: I don't recommend doing this with SMAW. It's just too annoying. And ugly.

Awkward situation: I just received parts from Ballistic that I had ordered like 3 months ago. I had cancelled 2 months ago, when Ballistic wasn't sending my parts to me for a month as they continually told me "they'll be shipping out this week". I even filed a credit card claim with MasterCard against them because they didn't cancel my order and refund me.

Hm.
Unread 11-22-2011, 12:14 AM   #88
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just one of those small updates because it felt like a big deal today, haha. :P

Got the Jeep out of the garage, welded up the stiffeners (gonna have a few welds redone on Thursday though), cleaned the garage, got the Jeep turned around and backed in, and I will have the front axle out tomorrow with an extra set of hands. Bet it'll take less than an hour to get this sucker out.

Pretty excited.
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #89
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After I turned it around, I had a bit of a mess to clean up before I could get the Jeep in there now:

So off I cleaned.

Ta da.

The next day, I set out to remove the front axle. I made a rookie mistake and used a HiLift. That was dumb, and it seized when I tried to let the Jeep down.. so I had a Jeep with no front axle, and still had 4 inches until it would touch the jack stands. I won't lie, I ran and grabbed my old man so he could sorta tell me where to go from there. Got it down safely, but got a stern talking to.

Notice the angle of the HiLift? The jeep actually shifted over. I was nervous.

Nonetheless, I hurriedly dropped the axle and got it the eff out of the way.

Trying to get the Jeep more stable, but I wasn't at all happy with the wood blocks and how extended the jackstands were:

So I grabbed some blocks, and threw the 60 at approximate ride height for giggles (just looking at the picture now, this is before I set the 60 at ride height..)

Grabbed some control arm tubing. It looks like a lance. Or a cannon. Mad Max style.

My Liquid Iron front stiffeners:
Obviously not lined up or done anything with them yet.
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #90
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I tacked the front stiffeners up, gonna wait on my amigo again.

Made the first cut on the buckets.

Where'd it go?!

Just wanted the bucket out first, and then I started widening the hole. Just need another inch and a half on the left, and further back a little. I didn't want to get too close to the channel where the motor mounts are sitting, but I may have to get in pretty close so that the hoops can suck in close to the rail so the coilover has room to get out. I'm also wishing the hoops I bought were bent 180 degrees instead of 160.

I didn't post a pic of the wider hole because my compressor quit on me for a bit, so I couldn't use the plasma, and it was an awkward spot for a reciprocating saw or cutoff disc... so out came a 3/32 rod at 175 amps, and voila! Instant cutting implement. Or, well, melt/cut. Potato potahto.

It definitely will need a flap disc and sandpaper though. Hahahah.

Getting there slowly! Definitely won't make my "get it to roll" date of the 27th, but whatever. But just in case, I'm taking my driveshaft to the shop in the morning. Will have to double check my lengths before I go: 38.5" center to center rear driveshaft. Front one will have to get done next week.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.