Project Ton Ton - 1 Ton Cherokee HP60/14b - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Project Ton Ton - 1 Ton Cherokee HP60/14b

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #61
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh hey look, bird crap!
This is how bad the gaps between material were:

Yikes! Good thing it's not structural. It's a shame I didn't really have any other option than to do this ugly mess. To be honest, it's more there for my reassurance that there aren't any gaping unreinforced holes in the frame. It may not be pretty, but with there only being 1/8" + 1/8" of steel there, I have no worries about penetration. Just had to work it funny.

My friend did the other one, didn't get a clear picture of it.. it looks better.

Like I said, it's more a peace of mind thing, seeing as I'll have plating running up and down the rails anyway.

Unread 10-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #62
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Took a really stupid step backward this morning. Lesson learned: don't do stuff at 5am after not sleeping the whole night.

Was putting together the transmission mount for the crossmember. This piece sits inside the 2x5 and will get welded inside it. The sleeves fit through already drilled holes in the crossmember, and get sawzall'd off (and then welded and ground flush) for bolt hole recessions, to hide them from rocks.

For some bizarre reason, I thought I hadn't drilled the holes for the right size. Well. I did. Now they're 3x too big. I drilled them to 5/8". I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I was thinking.

It's a cheap mistake, I can fix it for about $10, but it's just so frustrating. I haven't had the time to get in the garage for a good round of work, and then I go do something silly like work on it after not sleeping. Still have burn holes in my hands because I was welding without gloves, too. Dumb dumb.

I'll fix it after Hallowe'en. Time to drink.
Unread 10-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #63
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Don't feel bad, I had a on mine too yesterday. Cut the pass side axle bracket off and welding it up right now.

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #64
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hahah glad to hear I'm not the only one with the dunce cap on this week! Fun isn't it? Redoing everything.

Just finished fixing it up now, grabbed some new steel, reused the sleeves. Cost me $4.50 to rectify my mistake, I'm fairly happy with that.
Unread 10-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #65
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

another awesome ton build, ugh, if I had the money the hp d60 kingpin ds drop and 14bb sitting locally forsale would be in my garage

soon enough, just didnt wanna jump the gun

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #66
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
another awesome ton build, ugh, if I had the money the hp d60 kingpin ds drop and 14bb sitting locally forsale would be in my garage

soon enough, just didnt wanna jump the gun
Thanks!

Yeah it's not a small investment. In my eyes, anyway. Some people see what I'm throwing at it as small potatoes, whereas I'm looking at my wallet going "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME!?"
Unread 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #67
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

any updates?
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #68
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ View Post
any updates?
There are, but nothing particularly picture worthy. It's one of those things where you feel like you're doing no work at all, but it's work that has to get done.

Just trying to make sure everything fits. Finalizing the crossmember, getting the bolt sleeves through the frame, then I'll take the saw to the floorboards. I should be tearing out the front end after this weekend.

It's also one of those moments I sincerely wish I had thrown a few hundred more dollars at the welder and got a MIG. Stick welding to the frame is annoying.
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #69
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Been doing small things, fixing those holes is taking longer than expected. :-\

Made some quick cuts to the 60 to make room for a control arm mount:

Will then be welding the tubes to the chunk. It would be fine even without doing that, I didn't cut any plug welds out.
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #70
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Putting the plating and bolt sleeves together.
As always, that MIG would really come in handy about now. :\

1/8" inner plate, 1/8" bolt sleeves, and the 3/16" stiffeners on the outside. I ground off the pinch seams pretty aggressively, so I will need to join them back up with some weld.

Unread 11-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #71
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Scrub a dub dub, taking a wash in the tub. Transfercases believe in personal hygiene too.

Unread 11-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #72
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

glad I'm not the only one who washes parts with the cheap walmart removeable shower head in the bathroom.

on a side note I had that chrome shower head and the water pressure wasnt great, I figure ah hell its cheap, well after my girl broke the mount for hanging it, I went and bought the cheap white shower head (identical head but white) and I have awesome water pressure. My guess is it was defective.

Anyways with my now restored water pressure, parts get alot cleaner.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #73
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
glad I'm not the only one who washes parts with the cheap walmart removeable shower head in the bathroom.

on a side note I had that chrome shower head and the water pressure wasnt great, I figure ah hell its cheap, well after my girl broke the mount for hanging it, I went and bought the cheap white shower head (identical head but white) and I have awesome water pressure. My guess is it was defective.

Anyways with my now restored water pressure, parts get alot cleaner.
I'll have to try another head, like you said, this one just has no pressure to it. I'll bring it outside to blast it with more power, and then air gun it. Don't want any metal scrap from drilling it to get into the bearings.

Laziness took over my credit card. I had been planning on making these myself out of some plate, but I just really didn't feel like making the template for them. I know, pretty bad excuse. So I ordered these in 3/16":
http://www.liquidironindustries.com/...cat=350&page=1

A so-so price, but a good looking piece. Going to trim the TNT front horns to conform to these, add some fish, and then I can slap on the frame standoffs for the hoops onto it.

Nothing really picture worthy, but I drilled and tapped the transfercase for 1/4" for the new breather and fill plug, drilled and tapped the inspection cover to plug the old drain hole (was going to turn that into a breather, but word has it that the gear motion can spit oil up the breather), and capped off the old breather with another plug. Will take a sawzall to the old shifter mount on it to make room for the cable shifter brackets.

I may have finally been able to get some help with the welding from my friend, so I'm going to have my friend slowly drag the Jeep up the road with a strap to his house tomorrow, in the wee hours of the night. It's literally like 500 meters away. Will have to rig up something for the brakes. Not happy to do it like this.
Unread 11-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #74
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

LOL at washing the t-case in the tub :P

any updates man?
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #75
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stblack97ZJ View Post
LOL at washing the t-case in the tub :P

any updates man?
Well attempting to get the crossmember to work with the stock tranny mount, but it's just way too tall. I knew this might happen, the stock mount is way too tall. It's easier to do the same design with an AW4 as bsfab did, but the AX15 is taller.

So I'm attempting to make a mount with an upper control arm bushing. I'll post up whether or not it works.

Everything has slowed down, but it's getting there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.