[Project Throwback] YJ, 1 Tons, Chevy 350, Coilovers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > [Project Throwback] YJ, 1 Tons, Chevy 350, Coilovers

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

[Project Throwback] YJ, 1 Tons, Chevy 350, Coilovers

[Project Throwback] YJ, 1 Tons, Chevy 350, 14" Coilovers, 42 Swampers

The name project throwback comes from getting back into Jeeps, something I was really into in high school. Back in high school, my friends and I were into Jeeps and trucks and pretty much were in the woods every weekend. None of us ever had any money, so our rides were always in pretty rough shape.

I'm thirty-five now, with a 5 year old son, have a little extra money, so decided to jump back into off-roading, something he just can't wait for. I bought a YJ, as that is what I drove and built back in those days, and really wanted to tinker with another one.

This build is not going to be a typical build for this forum. We live in Florida, so obviously, there are not a lot of places to rock crawl. However, we do have some of the most treacherous swap land in the country. For those that know the area, this Jeep is being built for the Green Swamp area of Florida, which is not to far from where we live. So keep in mind, in the Green Swamp, you need lift, tire size, and engine.

This is the Jeep as it was when I brought it home, I searched Craigslist and found a good deal on this one. It's a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara with a hardtop and freshly installed Chevy 350 which used adapters to hook up to the Jeep.

What's being done.
I add stuff to this list as I buy it, so some things you may not see in the pics until we get time to add them on.

Engine: Chevy 350
Transmission: Turbo 350 Automatic
Transmission Shifter: Winters
Transfer Case: NP 205, with Twin Stick
Rear End: Dana 60, 5.29 Gears, ARB Air Locker, Narrowed to 65 WMS, 1410 Yokes, CTM Joints
Front End: Dana 60, 5.29 Gears, ARB Air Locker, Narrowed to 65 WMS, 1410 Yokes, CTM Joints
Shocks: 14" 2.5 F-O-A Coilovers
Suspension: Ruff Stuff Triangulated 4 Link Rear, 3 Link Front
Lift Size: 16" to 18" Over Stock
Rear Bumper: Body Armor With D-Ring Mounts
Front Bumper: Hanson 60"
Winch: Smittybilt x2o Comp Series
Tires: 42x15x16LT Swamper TSL's
Wheels: 16x12 Simulated Beadlock
Dash: Completely Custom Double D
Gauges: Bomber Style Gauges
Switches: All Rocker Style Switches
Steering Wheel: Grant Club Sport
Tub Coating: Monstaliner Black
Steering: PSC Hydro Assist
Doors: Bestop HighRock 4x4 Element Doors with G.E.A.R.
Seats: Stock with Neoprene Covers, with Smittybiltt G.E.A.R.
Tools: On-Board Air System
Battery: 2x Optima Yellowtop
Exterior: Rocker Knockers
Cage: KOZ Off-Road Full Cage Kit
Paint: Jeep Color (Spinnaker Blue Metallic) Suspension (Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating)

mindhunter77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The very first thing we did when we brought it home was ditch the hardtop and doors. This is Florida, and I plan to run pretty much open top all the time, so this was listed on Craigslist ASAP. Ended up getting 600.00 for the top and doors. Which to me was great, as I honestly was just going to toss them in the dumpster.

Unread 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cleaning it out a little bit and taking a look at what we have to work with. I bought it night, so I just drove it around a little and while I was there, then took it home. So just checking out what's there. My son is learning my camera, so he rapid fires shots off and we end up with about 100 pictures that look the same.

The interior came complete with a CB radio from like the 1960's. All this is the stock stuff, it's coming out soon.

Here is the engine how we got it, the lady I bought it from blew the six and told some shop in town to put a v8 back in it. It has about 15K miles since the rebuild 350 was put in.

Unread 07-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ordered some Monstaliner and got to work prepping the tub. I have to say, I'm really liking the Mosntaliner and think it came out pretty good. I had a few parts where the tape failed and got on places that I didn't want it, but I don't really care, the exterior is getting repainted anyway.

Unread 07-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Really crappy picture, still getting used to the new camera, but anyway, this is the Monstaliner after it was done.

Unread 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Getting the Jeep in the air and removing the junk.

Unread 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the turbo 350 and the front and rear Dana 60's. The Dana 60's are 35 spline, 1410 yokes, CTM joints, ARB Air Lockers front and rear, 4:56 gears, alloy shafts. These were narrowed to 65 WMS.

Unread 07-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Getting the Jeep in the air and cleaning off some of the stuff from the frame. Tires also came in, ordered some 15/42-16LT Swamper TSL's. Got them mounted up on some 16x12 simulated beadlock wheels. Got simulated in order to stay street legal. These tires work magic in the Green Swamp. My son was climbing what he refereed to as 'tire mountain'

Unread 07-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Son posing with the tires up next to the Jeep

Unread 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
bahndrvr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nice man

Good looking Axles as well.

Saw that Jeep on Craigs, seems it was advertised for a while

Would love to get an older YJ, what spring setup you going with, and how serious you going dropping T-Case and 4 Link setup's front and rear, or staying with leaves and keeping her street friendly?
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bought some flat style fender flares and got those installed, as well as a rough ride height mockup.

Unread 07-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahndrvr View Post
Good looking Axles as well.

Saw that Jeep on Craigs, seems it was advertised for a while

Would love to get an older YJ, what spring setup you going with, and how serious you going dropping T-Case and 4 Link setup's front and rear, or staying with leaves and keeping her street friendly?
Yea it was listed for awhile. The thing is, the problems it had, wern't problems for me. The A/C was all jacked up, the transfer case and tranny were leaking, but so what, all that crap was coming out anyway. Yet, because of it, I was able to get a pretty good deal on it, she was just ready to sell it. lol

Ripping out the leafs, going with 2.5 coliovers from F-O-A. The t-case will be an NP205 dropped down =)
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ordered a dash from Dan at Double D Fabrication so when it got here, started ripping out all the dash stuff so I could make sure everything was going to line up correctly. Also got a Winters Shifter for the Turbo 350

Unread 07-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ordered a 4/3 link kit from Ruff Stuff with 1.25 heims. Also grabbed some 2" X .25" Wall, 1.5" DOM Then we started measuring and laying out the setup.

Unread 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
mindhunter77
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Had to buy a tube bender to work with this size of tubing, then got to bending and welding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.